General Television Thread 2023

On 17/11/2023 at 09:14, Ruki said:

Scott Pilgrim Takes Off released today and I just watched the first episode. It's perfect and lovely and I had a dumb grin on my face the entire episode. These are good vibes. Minor spoilers:

Reveal hidden contents

Finished the show today. Loved it! Great music, great animation, and a very fun unexpected turn early on. 

On 20/11/2023 at 14:55, Benji said:

I'm surprised I haven't heard more about Dark Winds. Only six episodes a season, deeply atmospheric and yet easy to watch, and very likeable characters. Plus the cast is ace. I'm four episodes deep and loving it.

Dark Winds was so good!  Watching Zahn McClarnon play the focused and intense cop in Dark Winds, and seeing him play the friendly and bumbling Big in Reservation Dogs was a great contrast.

But yea, everyone should watch Dark Winds

• Like 1

On 22/11/2023 at 04:54, Ruki said:

Finished the show today. Loved it! Great music, great animation, and a very fun unexpected turn early on. 

I've only watched the first couple of episodes, but I was pretty let down, tbh.

Spoiler

I gather that the creator wanted to do something different, but I was hyped for a more faithful adaptation of the comic. It's an interesting idea for sure, and I would have watched if I knew what it was going in (though the title is a giveaway in retrospect) but this just felt like a bait-and-switch and left me with very little interest in continuing it.

Edited by Daniel Bryan

Was gonna wait to finish it before I gave my thoughts as I'm only three episodes in, but, eh. Before going into the plot stuff, I'd say the biggest strength is the animation on stuff like fight scenes is exceptional, and I really like the way they handle extended music-only sequences and also giving sort of a sense of depth. There's a pretty wonderful sense of style, placing it somewhere between the comic and the video game.

The biggest weakness, meanwhile, is that all of that is undermined a little by the fact that the animation and the voiceover come off like they were done in complete isolation and then stitched together. I'm not saying that's how they did it, just that's how it feels like as a viewer. Some of that might just be that they brought back the entire cast that had speaking lines from the movie, regardless of how experienced or good they are at voice acting but there are multiple times where, say, Mary Elizabeth Winstead or Kieran Culkin will deliver a line in a way that would sound good in live action but doesn't actually match what Ramona or Wallace are actually doing on-screen.

As for the plot:

Spoiler

It's not what I expected but frankly, "let's spend time with everyone in Scott Pilgrim except for Scott Pilgrim" is a much more exciting proposition to me than doing a remake of a story I've gone through twice. The only thing that it can't really give me (probably!) that the movie failed to give me is the reveal of what an unreliable narrator the comic version of Scott is. Otherwise, my biggest complaints with the movie was that they speedran through the second half of the comic and so some of my favorite characters like Roxie Richter got heavily reduced roles and the Katayanagi Twins were basically turned into advertised extras and the Ramona/Roxie video store fight basically beats anything either the comic or the movie did with that relationship, and the twins actually seem like real characters this time.

• Like 2

Finished the Fall of the House of Usher and it was utterly tremendous. 

Mike Flanagan makes some really solid television. The whole series had me pretty gripped to every scene. So well made, the actors were all pretty great too. I am a big fan of the ensemble he uses in a lot of his shows. 

Still kind of odd to see the ET kid as a) a grown man, and b) a horrible bastard though. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Benji said:

A Friend of the Family is good TV. Jake Lacy plays the charismatic manipulator well enough that you can see why people fell for the act whilst you are mentally screaming at people on the screen not to fall for it as if you're watching a horror movie play out.

If you haven't watched this, I strongly suggest it. Just finished it and the final episode just makes me so furious at the piece of shit and so bad for the family, and that's with a happy ending (that's not a spoiler by the way, the real life Jan says as much as the very start of the show).

1 hour ago, Benji said:

If you haven't watched this, I strongly suggest it. Just finished it and the final episode just makes me so furious at the piece of shit and so bad for the family, and that's with a happy ending (that's not a spoiler by the way, the real life Jan says as much as the very start of the show).

Been intrigued to watch this. Will add it to my list.

• Like 1

It's definitely quite morally corrupt, and the filming conditions sounds absolutely awful and pretty fucked up, but I hate to say I found it quite bingeable and juicy. 

Spoiler

I thought I was going mad when no one was calling out that woman for fucking over Trey on the glass bridge. 

• Like 2