General Television Thread 2023

I haven't watched Scrubs in over a decade but I'm willing to believe that if you went back to it now, especially without an established fondness for it, a lot of the humor would feel very very dated. It's a very 2000s show.

• Like 7

8 hours ago, GoGo Yubari said:

I haven't watched Scrubs in over a decade but I'm willing to believe that if you went back to it now, especially without an established fondness for it, a lot of the humor would feel very very dated. It's a very 2000s show.

This is probably it, and at the same time I can't think of another show from the same time period to compare the humor. 

Perry Cox feels like the worst piece of shit, though. Imagine having that as your superior every day coming into work. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Benjamin said:

This is probably it, and at the same time I can't think of another show from the same time period to compare the humor. 

Perry Cox feels like the worst piece of shit, though. Imagine having that as your superior every day coming into work. 

The thing with that character is it's played for laughs in an "abusive bosses amirite?" manner. Stuff that back then was pretty fresh, a way to laugh at the shitty stuff in life, but now must just feel so uncomfortable.

Scrubs was one of the first sitcoms I made as appointment viewing for myself, loved it at the time for sure.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gunnar hendershow said:

The thing with that character is it's played for laughs in an "abusive bosses amirite?" manner. Stuff that back then was pretty fresh, a way to laugh at the shitty stuff in life, but now must just feel so uncomfortable.

Scrubs was one of the first sitcoms I made as appointment viewing for myself, loved it at the time for sure.

It was one of the few shows I owned on DVD! I bought every season as it came out. 

5 hours ago, gunnar hendershow said:

The '00s were kind of the banner decade for that sort of "asshole with a deeply-buried soft side" character in TV, weren't they?  Dr. Cox was straight-up my favorite character on that show and I think he probably still works better than most of those characters (Ari Gold, yuck) but would I think that watching it for the first time now? No, probably not.

• Like 1

Comedy more often than not ages poorly.

I remember watching The Critic back recently and while for the most part it held up there were a few transphobic jokes that were really awkward.

NewsRadio on the other hand generally was okay and remains the only good that Andy Dick and Joe Rogan ever did. Although I have yet to bring myself to finish the final season.

• Like 1

Comedians and comedy writers are often close when they say they're trying to make light of things, to make people laugh at the bad shit, etc. That's very much a way to laugh at and cope with current times and the zeitgeist. The thing is, when times move beyond that the jokes become dated and awkward. Comedians and comedy writers are, unfortunately, often terrible at connecting those two dots. They want their work to be timeless, like a great dramatic work, but what they're explicitly trying to do has its own shelf life most of the time.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Benji said:

Heard decent things about Gangs of London and wanted to watch...

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

Recurring would be the best way to describe it. He's not a main character but he appears throughout. It's really good if you like crime drama and especially The Raid movies.

I haven't gotten to season 2 yet though. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Benji said:

Rick & Morty S7 E5...

Hide contents

Absolute barnburner of an episode. Hopefully that shuts up the whiny sods over the voices cause that was amazing fun.

Spoiler

I have a sense Dan Harmon takes a backseat for most episodes each season, and lets the other writers do their crazy shit in a generally non-canon or self-contained narrative. He's definitely involved in the more central episodes and his fingerprints are all over this one.

Scott Pilgrim Takes Off released today and I just watched the first episode. It's perfect and lovely and I had a dumb grin on my face the entire episode. These are good vibes. Minor spoilers:

Spoiler

So, Scott got beat in the first episode. That def didn't happen in the movie or the graphic novel. So that's interesting!

The Rookie Feds backdoor pilot episode may be the worst one in the series. Nothing about it makes me want to watch the actual show. Simone is utterly lacking as a character and has nothing compelling about her.

The Rookie isn't exactly golden TV, but it's main character has always been a humble and charismatic everyman with a interesting and likeable cast. Simone is obnoxious (her first scene is drifting a car in an FBI car training session which she isn't meant to do, her second is being in a massive JTF meeting and laughing and talking down her superiors) and none of the other FBI members are anything other than bland.

Shame, because I like Niecy Nash, but this one clearly isn't for me.

On 18/11/2023 at 17:13, Benji said:

The Rookie Feds backdoor pilot episode may be the worst one in the series. Nothing about it makes me want to watch the actual show. Simone is utterly lacking as a character and has nothing compelling about her.

The Rookie isn't exactly golden TV, but it's main character has always been a humble and charismatic everyman with a interesting and likeable cast. Simone is obnoxious (her first scene is drifting a car in an FBI car training session which she isn't meant to do, her second is being in a massive JTF meeting and laughing and talking down her superiors) and none of the other FBI members are anything other than bland.

the backdoor pilot sucked, and it was so obvious it was a pilot

• Like 1

On 18/11/2023 at 11:13, Benji said:

I pretty much agree with you about Niecy Nash. I like her, but I find that I watch Feds more for Britt Robertson (Have watched several other shows she has done) and Kevin Zegers than her. Zegers' character was bland but has gotten a LOT better. He was one-dimensional as all-get out when the show began.

And Niecy's girlfriend on the show was soooo hard to cast: Its her real life wife.

Edited by GhostMachine
spelling error
  • Like 1