General Television Thread 2023

On 06/10/2023 at 16:41, Gabriel said:

I kinda want Only Murders to go to a real dark place and have the final season be Mabel snapping and actually turning out to be the killer. Maybe they lose steam and her life is falling apart, so she starts doing murders to bring the podcast back?

I'd hate this - spoilers:

Spoiler

The "podcaster murdering people to keep producing true crime content" was the motivation for series 2, and rehashing that with one of the core cast would be a real downer, and a disservice to Mabel's character. 

• Like 4

Ruibo Qian has been a great addition to the new season of Our Flag Means Death

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Brandon Cutler Fan Account said:

I'm halfway through Season 3 of Only Murders and I can't get past the fact they called a guy Tobert.

Its basically a running joke during the season that his name is Tobert

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bigal said:

As expected, the Frasier reboot is just a big retread of the original series. That being said, it's actually not a bad way to spend half an hour. Like putting on a comfy old jumper.

I plan on checking it out eventually. I've heard Lilith might show up, but unless Frasier takes a trip to a certain bar, it'll be hard to watch without any of the old cast. John Mahoney is dead, and David Hyde Pierce has said on more than one occasion that he has no interest whatsover in ever playing Niles again.

Lilith and Roz are supposed to appear in the back half of the season IIRC. I think personally I'd sooner finally dig in on a full rewatch of the original than watch the new one. The couple times I've watched isolated episodes in the last decade I've always been like "wait, this show's actually aged really well."

1 hour ago, Bigal said:

As expected, the Frasier reboot is just a big retread of the original series. That being said, it's actually not a bad way to spend half an hour. Like putting on a comfy old jumper.

I assume it's just going to be like Will & Grace. A good enough show but lacking the charm of the original. Still watchable and enjoyable, just don't expect to feel like the spirit is spirit is still around the body.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, GoGo Yubari said:

Lilith and Roz are supposed to appear in the back half of the season IIRC. I think personally I'd sooner finally dig in on a full rewatch of the original than watch the new one. The couple times I've watched isolated episodes in the last decade I've always been like "wait, this show's actually aged really well."

I still watched it late at night on the Hallmark Channel if I was up, before we dumped cable and went purely to streaming a few months ago. It has aged quite well. Golden Girls, which is shown along with it, has not. 

Just got done watching Quantum Leap and Magnum PI via Peacock. With streaming only, there are some shows I have to watch when they air or miss (Wheel Of Fortune and Jeopardy! - and I don't really care if I miss Wheel; Heidi cares more than I do), and some I have to watch the next day. Basically, I get CBS and NBC live thanks to Paramount + and Peacock, but not ABC or Fox. Its a bitch avoiding Masked Singer spoilers until I watch it. 

And we may be dumping Netflix.

Edited by GhostMachine

The Flana-Clan is one of my favorite things in modern horror. I love that he sticks with his actors and that everyone gets a chance to really show their skills by playing very different characters from show to show.

Flanagan's work, and I'll keep saying this until I can't anymore... it just hits me differently. I feel so much more watching his stuff than I do with anything else. He's finding all of the right strings to pluck to initiate that raw emotional reaction from me.

I have found his stuff to be very good at helping me on a psychological and emotional level. It's better than any therapy, psychiatrist or whatever that I've ever dealt with.

We're three episodes into Usher, and I am profoundly happy with what we're getting. Just beautiful stuff.

Plus, Carla Gugino is ❤️ . I've been crushing on that woman for nearly thirty years.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Gabriel said:

We're three episodes into Usher, and I am profoundly happy with what we're getting. Just beautiful stuff.

Plus, Carla Gugino is ❤️ . I've been crushing on that woman for nearly thirty years.

I'm currently rewatching Spin City and one of my first complaints in the rewatch was that she is dropped halfway through the first season. Know what I'll be watching next!

well Mike Flanagan is 4 for 5 in my book.  Never got into Bly Manor, to the point I didn't finish it, but I keep meaning to give it another chance

Finished House of Usher last night.

Absolutely god damned beautiful.

In regards to Bly Manor, I felt like a lot of people dropped off that one because they expected something more like Hill House, but it's highly underrated.

For me, Hill House is easily number one, with Midnight Mass and House of Usher fighting for the second spot. Bly Manor is a close fourth, and the Midnight Club, while still enjoyable, is easily the number five on my list.

Flanagan's shows though, I can see people listing them in a myriad of different ways. For me, the connections to my mental health and supernatural experiences helped Hill House really hit me in a way that nothing ever had before. It all felt so familiar.

Don't forget to watch Oculus and Gerald's Game though, if you've not seen those movies. Even more Flanagan goodness.

Been watching Gen V, a spin-off of The Boys.  I'm not going to put it in spoilers because it comes really early on in S1E1

The actors who play the male and female versions of Jordan look and act so much alike, I didn't believe they weren't brother and sister until I looked it up.

Also, both are super cute

• Like 1

Question about The Fall Of The House Of Usher...

Spoiler

...when Roderick sees Annabel Lee at the funeral, and he sees her head wound as she walks away - is it implying she killed herself, or was that Pym?