General Television Thread 2023

1 hour ago, Lint said:

What did Fez do?

According to his wikipedia page Wilmer Valderrama spent his 20s dating teenagers.

Dated Mandy Moore when she was "16 or 17" when he was in his early 20s.

Was in a relationship with 18 year old Lindsay Lohan when he was 24.

Met Demi Lovato when she was 17, started dating her when she turned 18 and he was 29.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

For years, people tried to play it off as Topher Grace just being a dick and that being the reason why he wasn't ever part of the gang, and why he stayed away from extra-curricular activities with the cast.

Turns out they've got a rapist, a groomer, collectors of beans that look like L Ron Hubbard and at best, the rest of them are apologists and enablers.

Yeah, Danny Masterson's kid (or kids, I dunno) are going to grow up without a dad... and yeah, they're probably going to grow up to hate him... and yeah Ashton, that IS an injustice unto itself. Except, who did that? The guy who decided to rape women did that.

A rapist's a rapist is a rapist. Lock him up and let him rot.

• Like 3

On 08/09/2023 at 19:41, Benji said:

Really quite enjoying The Rookie. It's nice for a show to follow beat cops rather than detectives, and even though there's overarching stories I like that they have mini stories and arrests throughout the episodes. I'd held off on watching it for a while so my Castle expectations died down and I'm glad I did.

it's one of the most egregious examples of copaganda... but man it makes for addictive viewing.

• Like 2

On 10/09/2023 at 11:43, K said:

it's one of the most egregious examples of copaganda... but man it makes for addictive viewing.

Benji, DO NOT read this spoiler until you're on episode 2 of season4! Seriously!

Spoiler

Its one of the reasons the actor who played West decided to leave the show, so they killed him off. And I don't blame him, considering the police keep getting away with shooting people, especially African-Americans. I don't miss the character at all. The actor was great, but West should have been a wash out/desk jockey.

4 hours ago, K said:

which sequence was that?

Spoiler

They pick up where last season left off and then discover there's a third terrorist. They arrive at hospital and are attacked by terrorist with a automatic weapon shooting the ambulance with Tim in who had passed out at the end of last season either from the virus or the cure. All of a sudden, Tim is now completely fine and leaves the ambulance BUSTING THE DOORS OPEN with absolutely zero ill effects showing and puts bullets into the terrorist.

It was hilarious, ridiculous, and I am here for it.

I can easily see why people are high on One Piece. Very good TV show. I am going in largely indifferent to how much it includes or cuts out as long as it winds up actually being good TV. And so far it has been. It goes a long way not being embarrassed by your source material and feeling like you have to "update" it to make it more presentable or mainstream. They'll have to change parts of the story and exclude things, that's a given in a story as massive as One Piece, but they haven't shied away from embracing the rest.

Needless to say for much of the audience going in blind they won't know the difference, but it helps that you feel like the people making the show actually like One Piece the manga and anime and aren't going "oh well we can make it better by getting rid of Zoro holding a sword in his mouth because that looks silly."

• Like 2

Yeah, the only things I can really think of in terms of "we're not doing this for practical/how it would look in live action" reasons tend to be in relation to the main characters, like not having Usopp's actor wear a prosthetic nose and Sanji's eyebrows don't do that curling thing at the end, and those just make sense from a practical perspective to not want to do with characters who are going to be in every episode from their introduction onward.

There are characters who've gotten got or had their roles severely reduced but to the point I'm at none of them feel like characters I would have been appalled at losing. There's like all of one character left at the point I'm at (effectively what feels like the start of the live-action version's Arlong arc) that I think is both a) a character that'll require real work creative/resource-wise to adapt and b) a not-necessarily-essential character that I'd still be bummed to not see show up so I'll be curious to see if he's around or not when they get there.

3 hours ago, GoGo Yubari said:

Yeah, the only things I can really think of in terms of "we're not doing this for practical/how it would look in live action" reasons tend to be in relation to the main characters, like not having Usopp's actor wear a prosthetic nose and Sanji's eyebrows don't do that curling thing at the end, and those just make sense from a practical perspective to not want to do with characters who are going to be in every episode from their introduction onward.

Must say. It is a huge missed opportunity to not have the prosthetic nose start bending and detaching midway through each episode like it does at cons. Just a recurring running gag for those who know.

• Haha 1

Don't know how everybody else here on the board feels about Yellowstone, but I just caught up with it today. My main grip with it is that none of the characters are very likeable, and most are deeply, deeply flawed. I'm OK with characters that have flaws, but most shows at least make them have some redemping qualities. Not Yellowstone. 99% of them are just bad.

The 1% that isn't is the cowboys on the ranch that are just doing their jobs. I would gladly watch a show just about them. Just get the Duttons out of it.

On 16/09/2023 at 22:22, Brandon Cutler Fan Account said:

I've watched One Piece blind and thought the first half has been really great. Glad this got renewed, has the potential to be the hit anime adaptation they've wanted for ages if they give it time.

Finished it now, loved it. Best series I've watched in a while. Think I genuinely loved every character.

• Like 2