General Television Thread 2023

1 hour ago, Toe said:

Question about The Fall Of The House Of Usher...

Hide contents

...when Roderick sees Annabel Lee at the funeral, and he sees her head wound as she walks away - is it implying she killed herself, or was that Pym?

Spoiler

The implication is that she took her own life after Roderick stole their children from her. Roderick indirectly took her life, and she became just another body on the pile he climbed to the top.

1 hour ago, Benji said:

Search Party is really quite engaging. I'm half way through and it keeps escalating just enough that I can see it all triggering really well at the end. Looking forward to seeing where it goes. Not the show I expected but really good in a different way.

This show is wild. I would love for someone to watch the first episode and the last episode and see their reaction. 

• Like 1

Almost through the final season of Ted Lasso. Feel like each episode is half the good stuff of Ted Lasso and half of a failed attempt to be a prestige TV drama. There is not a single episode in season 3 shorter than season 1's longest episode.

My "conspiracy theory" is that they needed to give all the side characters as much time as possible to see who the audience really loves for future spin-offs.

Spoiler

The pace at which Nate's storyline progresses compared with Keeley's is just poor writing. If you're going to give yourself as much time per episode as they did you can't have the obvious resolution of Nate's arc be revealed very early on and then meander for 7 whole episodes before you start to move it there. Meanwhile there's constantly something happening with Keeley even if it's largely a vehicle to push into the show a ton of female-centric storylines that it lacked before. It's like they read some critical tweets about how male-dominated all the storylines were and loaded up season 3 with these twists and turns for Keeley just to prove those tweeters wrong.

Shame it's ending on such a whimper. Season 1 is all-time TV and season 2 was very good.

• Like 1

We started Killing Eve last night but now I have seen that the finale has a rating of 3.4 on IMDb. 

Wondering if it's worth watching it all or not now. 

Game of Thrones has a 4.0 and (original) Dexter has a 4.7 so this cannot be a good sign. 

Just got to the end of episode 3 of Fall of the House of Usher and now I'm hooked. That ending fucked. Never watched any of Mike Flanagan's other works but I'll have to check some out.

I wasn't really feeling it for the first two episodes and only kept going because I like Poe. Though I suspect a large factor in that was I'm also currently watching Succession for the first time and so the Usher family with their rich shitty people backstabby family drama centered around an aging patriarch and his failchildren felt like the Logans-we-have-at-home.

It occurs to me on a Lost rewatch that several of the cast could have made a damn good partial X-Men.

You have the stoic leader Matthew Fox/Jack/Cyclops (the stoic leaders who struggle with their leadership), Evangeline Lily/Kate/Jean Grey (the beloved strong heroine who also winds up caught in a love triangle), Josh Holloway/Sawyer/Gambit (the charming southern rogue), Terry O'Quinn/Locke/Xavier (the wise somewhat leader of the group - he's even in a wheelchair in Lost!), Naveen Andrews/Sayid/Beast (the man torn between two worlds and who is suffering from hate for the way he looks). I'm sure there's others but that's just the top of my mind.

Knowing Lindelof is a Marvel fan, it makes me wonder if whilst they aren't rip-offs, whether those were used as a framework for the characters.

59 minutes ago, Ruki said:

Would I enjoy Fall of the House of Usher? I don't really know anything of Edgar Allen Poe.

Maybe.  You'd obvious miss out all of the Poe references in the series and there are a LOT, but I think its still an enjoyable horror series

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ruki said:

Would I enjoy Fall of the House of Usher? I don't really know anything of Edgar Allen Poe.

I didn't really know much about Poe either and really enjoyed it. It was fun going back afterwards and seeing what the references were that went over my head. I'd recommend it. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Benji said:

Search Party S4E7...

Hide contents

Just when I thought this season was dragging a little, Susan Sarandon is here to bring it back up :wub:

Get ready for an all-timer chase sequence, if you haven't gotten there yet.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, GoGo Yubari said:

Get ready for an all-timer chase sequence, if you haven't gotten there yet.

I did and it was legitimately amazing. The follow up was hilarious too. I'm amazed the show hasn't received more love, it's probably not for everyone, but I feel like anyone who likes it will really like it.

It's very much a "it's not for most people but the small slice of people it's for it's extremely for." Unsurprisingly it felt like there were a ton of writers/actors who just adored the show. Season 5 has an actor in it for much of the season that's probably an even bigger deal than Susan Sarandon turning up for the home stretch of S4.

• Like 1

Season 7 of Big Mouth was very good. There's an episode that explores the relationship between Matthew and Caleb, and it's just so touching and beautiful. As usual, they do a really good job of showing what Caleb is going through as a student with high functioning autism, and that episode just made me feel good.