General Television Thread 2023

4 minutes ago, gunnar hendershow said:

I never watched an episode of 2 Broke Girls because every clip they'd air on CBS to promote it made it feel like a live action version of those really mean cartoons.

It absolutely has the vibe of a Comedy Central animated series that quietly lasts three to four seasons despite every single aspect of it being miserable and the only people who have any fond memories of it also like to reaffirm that all comedy is bad now because it's too Woke any time you try to talk about TV with them.

7 hours ago, Benji said:

Since 2 Broke Girls failed me, I went with Search Party because the splash page for it made it look quirky and fun and I wanted something easy to watch. It is absolutely not that show but it's still entertaining and interesting.

hahaha, yeah, Search Party is fantastic but it's the absolute opposite of an easy watch and only gets more like that the longer it goes and the weirder it gets.

Watched the Reservation Dogs finale and...god.  We did not deserve such a good show

On 24/09/2023 at 12:33, Gabriel said:

Off the strength of reviews by people we trust, we are definitely going to watch it at some point... but I don't really know what it's about. My understanding is that it's about native kids who live on a res, and that's the extent of what I (think) I know. Could you give me a better run-down? I'd just look it up, but I hate doing that because I always end up with something spoiled.

It is hard to describe, because the show will frequently go off from the main characters, and do an entire episode dedicated to side characters just to give you more information about them.

Basically, its about the 4 main characters (Bear, Elora, Willie Jack and Cheese) trying to find their path in life after their friend/Eloras crush (maybe boyfriend, not sure about that)/Willie Jacks cousin kills himself.  They are also trying to figure out where they "fit" in the community around the reservation.

Again, I think the show is hard to describe, because its a master class in mixing comedy and drama.  There are episodes where I go from laughing to tearing up or crying

I'm 20+ years late for the Band of Brothers train, but fucking hell what a show. It could just have easily been made today it holds up so well.

Spoiler

I was sceptical from the start, it's slow and never revs up into the big damn war film I expected, and it marvels because of that. The slow trudge, the day to day, the conditions, the way they thread little bits of humanity into each of the men and tear you apart whenever something happens... but they still have to keep it together and you can see it breaking their souls, hardening them, but again... they still have to keep going.

Just hit episode 9 and the concentration camp scenes made me so upset. I actually cried seeing the man carrying his emaciated mother and thinking how I would feel in the same situation for my loved ones.

It took me 20 years to watch this and I wish it hadn't taken me so long, because it makes me appreciate all I have even more.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Benji said:

I'm 20+ years late for the Band of Brothers train, but fucking hell what a show. It could just have easily been made today it holds up so well.

Hide contents

I was sceptical from the start, it's slow and never revs up into the big damn war film I expected, and it marvels because of that. The slow trudge, the day to day, the conditions, the way they thread little bits of humanity into each of the men and tear you apart whenever something happens... but they still have to keep it together and you can see it breaking their souls, hardening them, but again... they still have to keep going.

Just hit episode 9 and the concentration camp scenes made me so upset. I actually cried seeing the man carrying his emaciated mother and thinking how I would feel in the same situation for my loved ones.

It took me 20 years to watch this and I wish it hadn't taken me so long, because it makes me appreciate all I have even more.

I highly recommend it to anyone asking for something WW2 related to watch that's not a movie or actual documentary. 

Been curious how long they can keep that going. Parts of season 3 have felt a bit too overwrought but they also had to approach some of the storytelling differently so as not to just rehash the same twists and turns.

Curious who they manage to cast as guest stars in season 4 too. It's Steve Martin & Martin Short, so will be a long list of people who'd gladly hop on board to work with two legends I'm sure.

I still need to watch the finale, but season 3 just hasn't hit the same for me. The performances have been stellar (except for Selena Gomez and Steve Martin who really feel like they're phoning it in right now), but the story and red herrings and such have been a little boring and glaringly obvious from the jump. Hoping season 4 is a return to form. 

On 04/10/2023 at 12:07, gunnar hendershow said:

Been curious how long they can keep that going. Parts of season 3 have felt a bit too overwrought but they also had to approach some of the storytelling differently so as not to just rehash the same twists and turns.

Curious who they manage to cast as guest stars in season 4 too. It's Steve Martin & Martin Short, so will be a long list of people who'd gladly hop on board to work with two legends I'm sure.

I thought season 3 had its high points - the patter song has been stuck in my head for weeks - but I really don't know how much there is left to do with this format. The three seasons were pretty much ideal for the format; series one was about how Mabel was connected to the murder, series two about Charles, and series three was in Oliver's world. Maybe there could be one more story to be told in bringing it all together, but I wouldn't have complained if they ended it here.

2 hours ago, Skummy said:

I thought season 3 had its high points - the patter song has been stuck in my head for weeks - but I really don't know how much there is left to do with this format. The three seasons were pretty much ideal for the format; series one was about how Mabel was connected to the murder, series two about Charles, and series three was in Oliver's world. Maybe there could be one more story to be told in bringing it all together, but I wouldn't have complained if they ended it here.

I do agree that the way season 3 ended was largely very good closure for all characters involved. They've also had their requisite arc of drifting apart before finding each other again. With how popular the show is I'm worried they'll give in to pressure to raise stakes and take it more out of what has made it so much fun.

Spoiler

But also based on his name being dropped a few times we might get Scott Bakula in season 4 and that's absolutely fantastic if it comes to fruition. Especially if he does a Matthew Broderick-esque self-parody.

• Like 1

I kinda want Only Murders to go to a real dark place and have the final season be Mabel snapping and actually turning out to be the killer. Maybe they lose steam and her life is falling apart, so she starts doing murders to bring the podcast back?

Or, maybe they could start Quantum Leaping to solve murders throughout time.

The last part was a joke, so that's clear.

17 hours ago, Skummy said:

the patter song has been stuck in my head for weeks

God dammit now it back in my head...

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Benji said:

Search Party S1

Hide contents

About to get to the final episode. Dory is supposed to be dislikeable, right? Like, she's intentionally the protagonist who is a terrible person in a lesser Walter White/Tony Soprano way.

Without spoiling anything, yes. I'd say a big part of season one is gradually going "oh wait, Dory sucks, doesn't she?" as it wears on.

• Thanks 1