General Television Thread 2023

Anyone that doesn’t watch Dave should watch Dave. 

It’s on Hulu in the US so I am presuming it’s on Disney+ in the UK. 

The show is basically a white guy that is convinced he is the best rapper on the planet and it is mostly comedy gold. His hype-man GaTa is the best. 

Reservation Dogs is one of the best FX series of the last decade. What an absolute masterpiece of a show. I wish it got more seasons, but I understand the creators’ decision to end it where they did. 

Still. Incredible show. Would recommend to anybody. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, MalaCloudy Black said:

Reservation Dogs is one of the best FX series of the last decade. What an absolute masterpiece of a show. I wish it got more seasons, but I understand the creators’ decision to end it where they did. 

Still. Incredible show. Would recommend to anybody. 

Off the strength of reviews by people we trust, we are definitely going to watch it at some point... but I don't really know what it's about. My understanding is that it's about native kids who live on a res, and that's the extent of what I (think) I know. Could you give me a better run-down? I'd just look it up, but I hate doing that because I always end up with something spoiled.

On a different note, the new season of Sex Education is out. We are two or three episodes in and they're still laying out bangers. I can't over-state how much more I enjoy this show than I anticipated. I thought it may be fine to throw on and just kind-of pay attention to... but it's really just so well done and the characters feel so very real to me. Fantastic writing, and better performances.

Watching the British show Line of Duty, via Peacock. Sadly, they only have the first three or four seasons, I believe, and BritBox (which I don't have or plan on getting) has exclusive rights to the others.

The show should be called "Cops Investigating Cops".....

1 hour ago, Benji said:

That is generally what an anti-corruption/internal investigations unit does, yes 😛

They're kind of like Internal Affairs, but with an undercover component and more field work.

But the title sounds more like a show about cops who get injured or killed or perform acts of heroism while on the job. Though it more or less comes from something that happens in the last episode of season one. We're currently on the 4th episode of season three. If you've watched the show 

Spoiler

I'm now hoping the villain from season two gets murdered, after the crap she just pulled this episode, unless somehow she actually IS innocent. 

On 15/09/2023 at 07:51, GoGo Yubari said:

There's like all of one character left at the point I'm at (effectively what feels like the start of the live-action version's Arlong arc) that I think is both a) a character that'll require real work creative/resource-wise to adapt and b) a not-necessarily-essential character that I'd still be bummed to not see show up so I'll be curious to see if he's around or not when they get there.

UPDATE: Nope, that character is not in the live-action series. I suppose trying to depict an octopus man who fights with eight swords at once probably is in fact the bridge that's a bit too far for an adaptation like this :(

Still, they did a great job, and it's so cool that there's a fun adaptation of a series that I love dearly but is just such a massive thing to actually recommend to people.

SPOILER for the end of the season and a little bit of speculation for season 2, which will include some spoilers for the original:

Spoiler

I think I said that I figured they were folding a lot of Smoker's role in the original into Garp's increased focus this season, but, er, nope, there he is! So I assume season 2 starts with Loguetown (maybe an episode before that catching up with characters, maybe do the same thing the anime does and focus on the Buggy + Alvida alliance briefly?), then goes into Baroque Works + adding Chopper to the crew + then maybe the whole Alabasta arc? That feels like at least ten episodes rather than eight but the show seems like it's a pretty huge hit for Netflix so maybe they'll get an increased episode order.

Also there seems like mutual interest between Jamie Lee Curtis and the show itself in having her play Doctor Kureha in the Chopper introduction arc and that would be cool as hell.

On 19/09/2023 at 23:17, Ruki said:

Finished One Piece, absolutely fantastic. Makes me want to go watch the anime. I heard One Pace is a good way to watch the series without all the fluff and filler. How does one go about finding that?

Not sure what that is but FWIW I think the fluff (not the filler!) is part of what I would say would be fun to take in watching the anime! The major differences between the anime and the live-action first season to this point would be (I guess kind of mild spoilers?):

Spoiler

The anime will have more fights spotlighting the other crew members and the main Luffy fights are more drawn out, sometimes in pretty cool ways (the final phase of his fight with Captain Kuro is much cooler in the anime). Baratie is the most different because while Zoro vs. Mihawk does happen, Don Krieg is the actual main villain in that arc instead of getting wiped out by Mihawk in like five seconds. Also a lot less Garp/Coby/Helmeppo, they're more characters that show up periodically over a longer period of time.

• Like 1

Adding to GoGo's One Piece spoiler

Spoiler

Garp/Coby/Helmeppo being so featured feels like a much more streamlined way throughout the live action to show us the "other side" of the conflict in the leadup to some major clashes later on. In the manga, and I would assume anime, you just get these randomly inserted scenes with a whole batch of new characters and the use of narration to tell you who they are and why they matter. I suspect our Marine friends will be instead the ones to give us that exposition.

• Like 1

those are pretty spot on

i haven't heard Roiland doing the voices in so long that I'm not even sure I could tell there was a different person doing the voices if I didn't know

When it first came out, I watched the 2 Broke Girls pilot. I never watched beyond that and in a search for a sitcom with longevity to watch, I decided to try again.

It's so bad and racist from the get go that this time I didn't even get past the first five minutes after remembering this is why I didn't watch in the first place.

I feel like 2 Broke Girls basically came out right at about the time the public/pop culture was starting to sour on '00s mean-spiritedness. I love Kat Dennings and I'm glad Garrett Morris got a steady network sitcom paycheck during the '10s but I bounced off that thing real quick.

• Like 1

I'm surprised to learn that 2 Broke Girls ran until 2017 because I completely forgot about it.

I only ever knew 1 person who liked it.