General Television Thread 2023

The Rookie S4E1

Spoiler

Okay, Jackson is gone, which I knew ahead of time, but what an anticlimactic way to go out. I know he left the show but Christ, couldn't manage something better than what's clearly a stunt double? Then his death is basically glazed over aside from the ending and it's months later and we're going to get no actual mourning over one of the most important characters in the show? Utter bullshit.

The Rookie isn't without its flaws, but I've mostly enjoyed it. This just feels like a really weird choice and an utter disservice to the character.

Also whoever wrote the "sexy assassin who is always horny because of brain damage" as a character needs firing or being hired as the new MGS writer cause that was schoolboy horny Kohima bullshit stupidity.

Here is hopping the rest of season 4 is good and this was just one particular bad opening episode.

3 hours ago, Benji said:

The Rookie S4E1

Reveal hidden contents

Okay, Jackson is gone, which I knew ahead of time, but what an anticlimactic way to go out. I know he left the show but Christ, couldn't manage something better than what's clearly a stunt double? Then his death is basically glazed over aside from the ending and it's months later and we're going to get no actual mourning over one of the most important characters in the show? Utter bullshit.

The Rookie isn't without its flaws, but I've mostly enjoyed it. This just feels like a really weird choice and an utter disservice to the character.

Also whoever wrote the "sexy assassin who is always horny because of brain damage" as a character needs firing or being hired as the new MGS writer cause that was schoolboy horny Kohima bullshit stupidity.

Here is hopping the rest of season 4 is good and this was just one particular bad opening episode.

Well...

Spoiler

I liked the actor who played West, but the character.....not so much. Do not miss West at all, but it was a lousy way to take the character off the show. At times he seemed destined to be a wash out, so why not just have him realize that being a cop isn't for him, and move somewhere else? Like to the East Coast.

Other than West going out like that, Season 4 is actually pretty good. The backdoor pilot to Rookie Feds occurs late in the season.

• Like 1

We've been watching through the original Quantum Leap. We are now on season 5.

A new theme song AND opening with a 2 part episode where Sam leaps into Lee Harvey Oswald is a lot to handle.

Doing a run through of the 00s Prachett TV minis of Discworld as I've never got around to it. People mention people like Attenborough as cultural icons who everyone will miss when they are gone, but not enough love goes to David Jason. I don't think I've ever seen him in anything he didn't deliver perfectly. He'll justifiably be loved as Del Boy, but it's just one role in a career that's brung joy to so many.

On 30/10/2023 at 08:14, Hobo said:

We've been watching through the original Quantum Leap. We are now on season 5.

A new theme song AND opening with a 2 part episode where Sam leaps into Lee Harvey Oswald is a lot to handle.

That two-parter was originally a one-part movie, if I remember right.

Good season, except there's more Evil Leaper bullshit, and the series ending sucks. But it sucks because the show was cancelled, and they tacked the ending on.

(I hope the Evil Leaper crap is avoided in the new series.)

30 minutes ago, GhostMachine said:

That two-parter was originally a one-part movie, if I remember right.

Good season, except there's more Evil Leaper bullshit, and the series ending sucks. But it sucks because the show was cancelled, and they tacked the ending on.

(I hope the Evil Leaper crap is avoided in the new series.)

You are correct that it was originally broadcast as one feature-length episode. Which I'd hope is a better viewing experience because part 1 is not good by itself. Knowing that Donald Bellasario met Lee Harvey Oswald and he wrote the entire episode as a response to Oliver Stone's JFK (a terrible and overly long movie) is pretty interesting. Although it doesn't make it good TV.

The Evil Leaper stuff is just season 5. The closest we get to anyone else being involved in Quantum Leaping is at the end of Season 4 when there's briefly a reality where Al dies and we get an almost too brief Roddy McDowall cameo as the alternative history hologram guide/whatever Al's role in the QL project was.

I'm not looking forward to that stuff.  I don't remember it from my first time watching the show but changing the theme, adding a hitherto recurring unnecessary protagonist and doing more historical isn't a good sign. It's quite clear the show was struggling and stuff was being thrown at the wall to see what sticks. There wasn't much broken with the show. It was quite nice, silly, episodic TV.

Although I've only seen it once, I remember liking the final episode and think it funny that Sam Beckett's name is misspelt on the end title card.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Hobo said:

You are correct that it was originally broadcast as one feature-length episode. Which I'd hope is a better viewing experience because part 1 is not good by itself. Knowing that Donald Bellasario met Lee Harvey Oswald and he wrote the entire episode as a response to Oliver Stone's JFK (a terrible and overly long movie) is pretty interesting. Although it doesn't make it good TV.

The Evil Leaper stuff is just season 5. The closest we get to anyone else being involved in Quantum Leaping is at the end of Season 4 when there's briefly a reality where Al dies and we get an almost too brief Roddy McDowall cameo as the alternative history hologram guide/whatever Al's role in the QL project was.

I'm not looking forward to that stuff.  I don't remember it from my first time watching the show but changing the theme, adding a hitherto recurring unnecessary protagonist and doing more historical isn't a good sign. It's quite clear the show was struggling and stuff was being thrown at the wall to see what sticks. There wasn't much broken with the show. It was quite nice, silly, episodic TV.

Although I've only seen it once, I remember liking the final episode and think it funny that Sam Beckett's name is misspelt on the end title card.

we watched Part 2 of Lee Harvey Oswald. The 2nd episode is better but it's, ultimately, a very odd episode where Sam mostly just does a historical reenactment of parts of Oswald's life. Then he leaps into Clint Hill and saves Jackie Kennedy from being killed because in the timeline of the show she was killed too. So that's the only thing he does that serves the "putting right what once went wrong" mission statement of the show. It's a very tacked-on ending.

I probably could've bought an ending where Sam didn't save anyone or change anything that would've been an incredible downer of a season opener.

Watching the last episode of MasterChef Australia with Jock and I am not ready to say goodbye :( I've never been one for these kind of shows but I've enjoyed this one, and Jock was a massive part of that.

Spoiler

The way he helped Brent when he was going through his mental health struggles made me love him even more, and now with Brent in the finals I really hope he wins it to give the lovely Scotsman a beautiful send-off. Such a lovely guy and I really feel so awful for his family :(

Halfway through the Woman In the Wall mini. Enjoying it, but it doesn't feel like it's living up to its potential. Certainly a cromulent show that I wouldn't discourage people from watching if they were interested, but unless the second half improves I can't see myself actively suggesting people to watch it.

22 hours ago, Benji said:

Halfway through the Woman In the Wall mini. Enjoying it, but it doesn't feel like it's living up to its potential. Certainly a cromulent show that I wouldn't discourage people from watching if they were interested, but unless the second half improves I can't see myself actively suggesting people to watch it.

It got a lot better. Episode 5 is an absolute stormer.

• Admin

LOS ANGELES, Nov 8 (Reuters) - The SAG-AFTRA actors' union reached a tentative agreement with Hollywood studios to resolve the second of two strikes that rocked the entertainment industry as workers demanded higher pay in the streaming TV era, the union said on Wednesday.

• Like 2