General Television Thread 2023

52 minutes ago, Justin Buschlander said:

Just a general Ted Lasso observation from something that happened in episode 2 of this new season, and just one of those things where I really appreciate the writing over the course of the series.

Hide contents

In a scene early in season 1, Roy Kent tells writer Trent Crimm "you're a colossal prick and you always have been".  It's the only time they interact in the entire series until season 3.

In a scene from season 2 where Kent is a pundit asked to give his thoughts on a debuting 17-year old prospect, Kent gets super emotional and basically dismisses the entire pundit job, saying it's bullshit that they have to try to sit there and predict what a kid is going to do and judge them when they're not out there with them.

Now you get to the current season, Kent and Crimm are forced into interacting with each other, and Kent reveals that he's kept a newspaper clipping from when he debuted at 17 and Crimm wrote a scathing piece on how shit his debut game was.  So in one moment they explained why Kent hated him and why he got choked up about young players being criticized.

Brilliant.

It honestly is one of my favorite shows of all time. It's just... so damn good. 

• Like 1

What's the main selling point of Ted Lasso? By the clips I've seen, it looks like a crap comedy about an American who doesn't understand football in England ("Sheffield Wednesday? But they play on Saturday!"). I'm sure there must be more to it than that.

2 hours ago, Bobfoc said:

What's the main selling point of Ted Lasso? By the clips I've seen, it looks like a crap comedy about an American who doesn't understand football in England ("Sheffield Wednesday? But they play on Saturday!"). I'm sure there must be more to it than that.

Most of the trailers just focus on the light-hearted football jokes but really the football itself is a backdrop for the show as a whole which touches on a lot of serious subjects including anxiety/mental health in sport, divorce, fatherhood/abandonment issues and more.

As said in the other comments, Ted himself is the most wholesome guy for much of the show and it’s a bit infectious, which I think draws everyone in at first.  But behind that exterior there’s a lot of troubled stuff happening in both his life and the lives of a lot of the characters.

So many episodes weave in between regular light hearted comedy to dark comedy to drama all at once.

Succession really picked straight up from where it left off.

The dialogue is so sharp, I absolutely adore this show. There is no weak link in the entire cast, everyone pulls their weight. It’s absolute top-drawer television writing. 

Greg and Tom’s chemistry is up there with the best from any TV show for me. 

On 31/03/2023 at 10:16, Colly said:

:(

Five years is a good run though, and I'll be looking forward to what they do next, hopefully together.

really sad, but I do appreciate when shows are just allowed to go out when they choose, and not forced to keep going until it gets shit.

We only watched one episode of ghosts US btw and it was much worse

Did anyone watch Late Night Lycett? I only caught up over the weekend but it's a lovely bit of daft live telly. The Richard Yewtree segment was a superb GN News sendup, and I look forward to whichever other guests end up thrown on it.

I tried it but honestly couldn't make it past the first quarter of an hour. Joe just didn't seem like his usual self, seemed very self-conscious. Think I'll give it another shot when he's got a couple under his belt and the confidence is there.

On 20/03/2023 at 18:44, K said:

I looked up some UK versions of American shows and there's an english spin off of sesame street called The Furchester Hotel.

With 104 episodes it might be one of the most successful non-quiz show UK remakes.

I'm amazed they only made 104 episodes because The Furchester never gives up, never gives up, never gives up, The Furchester never gives up, never gives up, never gives up...

• Thanks 1

On 03/04/2023 at 12:54, Bobfoc said:

I saw an online recap that said the first two episodes of this Succession series were among the weakest the show has had. I seriously have no idea how they came to that conclusion.

Whoever wrote said online recap is wrong.

It's got a bunch of table-setting for sure, but, I mean, how can you say that about an episode where this happened??

Spoiler

The funniest use of Leonard Cohen this side of Watchmen.

• Like 3

On 29/03/2023 at 14:50, Justin Buschlander said:

Just a general Ted Lasso observation from something that happened in episode 2 of this new season, and just one of those things where I really appreciate the writing over the course of the series.

Hide contents

In a scene early in season 1, Roy Kent tells writer Trent Crimm "you're a colossal prick and you always have been".  It's the only time they interact in the entire series until season 3.

In a scene from season 2 where Kent is a pundit asked to give his thoughts on a debuting 17-year old prospect, Kent gets super emotional and basically dismisses the entire pundit job, saying it's bullshit that they have to try to sit there and predict what a kid is going to do and judge them when they're not out there with them.

Now you get to the current season, Kent and Crimm are forced into interacting with each other, and Kent reveals that he's kept a newspaper clipping from when he debuted at 17 and Crimm wrote a scathing piece on how shit his debut game was.  So in one moment they explained why Kent hated him and why he got choked up about young players being criticized.

Brilliant.

This is one of my favorite things about Ted Lasso. It is constantly having little call backs to previous seasons. They're entirely inconsequential to the show itself, but if you notice them, make the watching that much more delightful.

• Like 1