General Television Thread 2023

2 minutes ago, Benji said:

The title is dumb, but I'm always up for more Justified.

It's based on one of Leonard's existing novels so I think it's mostly just a tip of the (cowboy) hat to him. 

46 minutes ago, livid said:

Teaser isn't really anything but hell yeah LFG! 7/18

Good trailer, great excitement.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Benji said:

The title is dumb, but I'm always up for more Justified.

It's not as dumb as 'Dahmer : Monster - The Jeffrey Dahmer Story : He's a Monster - Dahmer - Monster'.

• Haha 1

• Like 2

We started watching Silo on Apple TV last night, watched all three episodes that are available - and boy, I love it. The whole vibe of the show is great, I love the mystery of it, haven’t had a show like this to dig into in what feels like forever. 

I have high hopes for the remainder of the season, hope I’m not disappointed. 

Apple have been making some top quality TV over the past few years.

The Masked Singer season 9 finale aired last night, and the commercials promoted it as "The most celebrated Masked Singer finale". I think someone from Fox News is writing the commercials, because they should have said "reviled" instead of "celebrated". Online reactions have not been good. More people mad at who won than those who are happy.

Spoiler

They added a bell the judges could use once during each group performance to save a contestant from being eliminated. Later all, all 3 saved contestants battled to stay in the competition. Medusa should have been eliminated in episode 3 for butchering "New York New York", and losing the smackdown round to California Roll, but Robin rang the bell. 

When it came down to the 3 saved battling each other, Medusa did an okay version of Shawn Mendes' "Mercy", and was the winnet. Problem is, the Gargoyle, who turned out to be Keenan Allen, did a better peformance AND a better one than her during the smackdown, but she got saved. Medusa made it through British Invasion Night, covering Adele's "Someone Like You", then survived the semi-finals, when California Roll, who beat her before AND put on a better performance than her again, got eliminated again. To the surprise of only a few, California Roll were unmasked as Pentatonix.

Bottom Line is, Medusa somehow won the whole shebang despite having several performances where she should not have gotten through, and turned out to be Bishop Briggs. She defeated the Macaw, who was revealed as David Archuleta, to win. Once I heard who won (but not who was under the masked), I decided not to bother watching. Absolute bullshit. 

(I like Bishop Briggs somewhat, but she had some bad peformances, and now I'm convinced the show is rigged. The finale should have been California Roll or Gargoyle vs. Macaw. I also don't want that save bell to come back.)

Edited by GhostMachine

On 17/05/2023 at 21:38, Benji said:

I hope White Lotus gets better in its last three episodes. I decided to give it a go and there's definitely something here I like, but as a quite clearly character driven show its characters are far too shallow.

Which season you watching?

Season one finished. It was alright. I don't see the big accolades behind it (though it may be that the accolades are more for season two) but if it wasn't for the hype behind it I'd almost certainly feel stronger about it being entertaining.

Second half of the season was definitely stronger than the first, they took too much time in the first half trying to set up things and it felt repetitive, but once the dominos began to fall it came together. Really liked the hotel manager, absolutely stole the show every time he was on.

Season two is a lot different and carries more like a suspenseful drama than a satire of the uber-wealthy. Season one is really about Armond and how he deals with being surrounded by - and needing to please - so many selfish millionaires. Other characters also help in carrying through that threadline of class disparity, but it's really his show in season one.

I thought season two toned that down a bit and became a tad more engaging as an overall drama with multiple character arcs that provided their own narrative value. Weird to say a show got better when it stepped back from "absurdly rich people bad" but it did. That gaze into the uber-wealthy is still there but it doesn't immediately set you up with rooting against all of them.

• Like 2

Very much appreciate Succession and Yellowjackets bookending one of the more stressful work weeks I've ever had with two unbelievable (effective) bummer episodes.

Working our way through Poker Face. It's a lot of fun.

Spoiler

Watched the episode with John Darnielle from the Mountain Goats in it last night. I knew that was coming but did not expect John Hodgman or that part of the episode would hinge on the Benson theme.