General Television Thread 2023

I am so bummed that it ends next week. It’s top tier television, and the cast is one of the best I can remember. Sensational performances from everybody involved.

Spoiler from last nights episode:

Spoiler

I am really worried for Roman. I hope he’s not killed off in the final episode. The funeral broke him completely. 

My thought is that Tom will end up being the “American CEO” and the three kids will be shafted and left with fuck all.

Barry finishes at same time as Succession, right? i'd pay for a crossover where Barry just whacks all of them. 

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Ruki said:

Someone explain football rules to me! Ted Lasso, S3E11...

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

I've never seen Ted Lasso, but it could be that the player was temporarily off the pitch to get treatment. If that's the case and the player returns to the pitch, a substitution isn't made and the match carries on as usual.

Alternatively, each team can only make a certain number of substitutions/substitution breaks (in the Premier League, for example, teams can make a total of five substitutions over a maximum of three different instances). If this Jamie fellow got injured after the team had already made all their substitutions, they wouldn't be allowed to bring anyone else on.

2 minutes ago, Bobfoc said:
  Hide contents

I've never seen Ted Lasso, but it could be that the player was temporarily off the pitch to get treatment. If that's the case and the player returns to the pitch, a substitution isn't made and the match carries on as usual.

Alternatively, each team can only make a certain number of substitutions/substitution breaks (in the Premier League, for example, teams can make a total of five substitutions over a maximum of three different instances). If this Jamie fellow got injured after the team had already made all their substitutions, they wouldn't be allowed to bring anyone else on.

That was the scenario, and that explains the rule. Thank you so much!

Also, man, I love this show so much. I think next week is the finale and I am not ready for that.

An article on The Americans finale five years on. If you watched the show, it's a good stroll down memory lane for arguably one of the best finales of all time. For anyone who didn't - for the love of God it's six seasons of the single most under rated television show of the golden age of television, go and watch it.

https://www.theringer.com/tv/2023/5/25/23732312/americans-finale-anniversary-oral-history

5 hours ago, Benji said:

Does it end in a satisfying way? I've heard great things but since it was the final season I've held off on watching because I figured I'd like to know if it ends in a satisfying way or not.

Depends on what you deem satisfying really. I was satisfied by it for sure. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think a good comparison point would be The Sopranos, in that it's (without spoiling anything that happens to the characters but the general tone/structure)

Spoiler

a "these people are going to keep being these people as long as they live. You might feel like you're missing something not seeing what they do next, but you're not, you already know that all 90% of them know how to do is walk around in circles" thing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1