General Television Thread 2023

I think I actually prefer the new season of Bad Education now I've watched it all. The kids are significantly more likeable than the bulk of the original (they're all great, but the new trio of girls is absolutely great), and the odd couple vibes of the two leads actually works pretty well after they found a rhythm.

Started Barry season 4. Honestly don't think I've been invested in the tension and drama of a show as much since Breaking Bad. I genuinely don't know how this is going to end. I'm three episodes deep and it's already twisted and turned more times than I expected :lol:

34 minutes ago, Benji said:

Started Barry season 4. Honestly don't think I've been invested in the tension and drama of a show as much since Breaking Bad. I genuinely don't know how this is going to end. I'm three episodes deep and it's already twisted and turned more times than I expected :lol:

Episode 4...

Spoiler

... Fuck.

Spoiler

Christobal :(

Fleabag is not at all the show I thought it was going to be. Not sure what it was I expected, but not this. I'm enjoying it, for what it's worth. Don't really understand the hype behind it yet, but it's perfectly cromulent viewing.

• Like 1

Succession, man. 

This week’s episode spoilers:

Spoiler

The whole scene with Shiv and Tom finally having it out was perfection. I was so drawn in. Throw all the Emmy’s at both of them for that scene alone. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, FLiam said:

Succession, man. 

This week’s episode spoilers:

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

What was especially impressive was that both actors managed to keep their American accents during the scene. That's especially hard to do when you're shouting.

I've enjoyed watching all these awful people tear one another to shreds. They could all be successful together as a coalition of evil if they put their egos aside, but they can't, and that's what makes the eventual eruption in scenes like this one so satisfying.

Succession

Spoiler

If this show's version of America avoids going full-fascist because enough Americans are actually willing to vote for Connor Roy for president then that will be as funny as fifty "you can't make a Tomlette without breaking a few Gregs" combined.

• Like 1

I know we shouldn't have guilty pleasures, because it's like gatekeeping yourself, and I agree with like bubblegum pop or whatever, just enjoy the music and don't worry about it, but...

The Rookie is such a guilty pleasure for me, because I know it's just pro police propganda. It's awful. All the cops are these amazing do gooders who would never hurt a fly or whatever, and the few stories where there are bad police officers it's treated as if it's the craziest thing in the world.

But the show is just so stupid and cheesy that I really enjoy it, and it makes me feel so guilty for supporting their propaganda. Brooklyn 99 did a whole 180 when people started turning on the police, but the Rookie just keeps going and ignoring it.

Stupid charismatic nathan fillion.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, K said:

I know we shouldn't have guilty pleasures, because it's like gatekeeping yourself, and I agree with like bubblegum pop or whatever, just enjoy the music and don't worry about it, but...

The Rookie is such a guilty pleasure for me, because I know it's just pro police propganda. It's awful. All the cops are these amazing do gooders who would never hurt a fly or whatever, and the few stories where there are bad police officers it's treated as if it's the craziest thing in the world.

But the show is just so stupid and cheesy that I really enjoy it, and it makes me feel so guilty for supporting their propaganda. Brooklyn 99 did a whole 180 when people started turning on the police, but the Rookie just keeps going and ignoring it.

Stupid charismatic nathan fillion.

Renewed for a new season as well.

I know what you mean though, the show has threatened to make a wider point a couple of times (Nolan taking night classes, Jackson’s racist training officer etc) but always reverts back to “the cops save the day again”.

And yet it doesn’t take itself seriously enough that it becomes off putting. 

It lives in a category along with 911-Lone-Star for me. Dumb but weirdly entertaining. The latter with Rob Lowe doing the Nathan Fillion thing. 

10 hours ago, Cymbols said:

Renewed for a new season as well.

I know what you mean though, the show has threatened to make a wider point a couple of times (Nolan taking night classes, Jackson’s racist training officer etc) but always reverts back to “the cops save the day again”.

And yet it doesn’t take itself seriously enough that it becomes off putting. 

It lives in a category along with 911-Lone-Star for me. Dumb but weirdly entertaining. The latter with Rob Lowe doing the Nathan Fillion thing. 

Just got to a 'tenants take advantage of nice landlords' story. Like, come on.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, K said:

Just got to a 'tenants take advantage of nice landlords' story. Like, come on.

and then it does the best cold open in history and i love it again

Not sure about other shows yet, but Call Me Kat, East New York, True Lies, Kung Fu, Walker: Independence, The Winchesters, Yellowstone and Fantasy Island have been cancelled. (The ones in bold are the shows I watched.)

CBS did cancel S.W.A.T., but backlash caused them to un-cancel it for a final season.

911 was cancelled by FOX, but picked up by ABC. 

I'm expecting Alaska Daily and The Company You Keep to get the ax, but hope I'm wrong. Gotham Knights needs to go bye-bye. 

I don't really know what to make of the Fleabag first season finale. It's been an enjoyable show and I was really feeling engaged in it...

Spoiler

... and then it made a dark twist and it just felt wholly unnecessary. I get that it's been setting it up and I'm sure a lot of people love it for what it did, but I'll be honest I was enjoying it for the somewhat shallow but clever joy it was providing.

I don't think it ruined anything, it's still a great show, and taking it at face value it does work, I think it was more just my expectation was subverted in a way I didn't want it to be.

Still, on to series two!

Netflix have cancelled Lockwood & Co., the fuckers. 

• Sad 2

37 minutes ago, Colly said:

We hadn't started watching it yet, should I bother now?

It was an enjoyable show and whilst there is a cliffhanger at the end, they do wrap up the 'season 1' story well enough. 

• Like 1