General Television Thread 2023

On 19/04/2023 at 00:39, FLiam said:

Barry is back and it’s still wonderful.

Had fallen behind on a lot of shows after I dropped Sky a couple years back and am catching up. Just finished season 3...

Spoiler

God damn, great finale. Played with your expectations just right. Intruiged how season four runs.

They'll land it. They had the time to plan out the ending, so I'm confident.

Oh and I binged The Wire in a handful of weeks and what a fantastic series. My god. The last season is a really weak compared to 1-3, but those first few seasons are just peak television.

I now have the problem of not knowing if I want to start Treme, Boardwalk Empire or Oz.

I'm still only in Season 2 of Succession. I hear all this praise for it, but was it always as universal during these early seasons too? Because while I think there are moments where I can see the brilliance of it, for the most part, I found myself forcing myself to get through Season 1. Season 2 hasn't so far captivated me either. 

I see the moments of brilliant writing and acting, some moments of laughter, but I see a lot more just boring television.

2 hours ago, tristy said:

Oh and I binged The Wire in a handful of weeks and what a fantastic series. My god. The last season is a really weak compared to 1-3, but those first few seasons are just peak television.

I now have the problem of not knowing if I want to start Treme, Boardwalk Empire or Oz.

Watch Boardwalk. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, tristy said:

Hamsterdam season is probably one of my all time favourites, and Dukie's final fate in the whole series is just poetic.

Would strongly suggest Boardwalk.

• Like 1

Season 4 is probably my favorite Wire season but 1-3 is probably the best trilogy of seasons in TV history.

Between Boardwalk and Treme I would probably also say Boardwalk because I don't know if diving straight into Treme after The Wire will do it any favors. Like, if you fucking love the more societal/political side of The Wire and wouldn't mind mostly avoiding the crime side of it then Treme is that show, from what I remember of it it's basically a split between the "how the system fails the actual people living in it" stuff that David Simon's shows are usually focused on and a more slice-of-life New Orleans culture show. The cast is great and I overall liked it but of the three HBO shows with multiple seasons that he's made I'd say it's the hardest to get into.

Stone Cold fucking around and having a good time?  I'm in!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Mx. Canadian Destroyer said:

Is anybody watching Mrs. Davis? This show is wild and very fun. Another Lindeloff show. 

I've watched much of the first episode and yeah, I really like it. It's just tough for me and Peacock shows so I haven't watched more (I'm still only like halfway through Poker Face too). It kind of reminds me of an '00s Bryan Fuller show, just unrepentantly silly and eccentric while still having something interesting at its core.

• Like 1

Inside Number 9 returned with a solid episode.