General Television Thread 2023

12 hours ago, Benji said:

I am really trying to give Rings of Power a shot but I'm six episodes deep (three quarters through) and honestly half the time I don't know what the fuck is going on or why.

Well you aren't alone

Only 37% Of Viewers Finished Amazon's 'Rings Of Power,' Which Is Very Bad

Succession

Spoiler

"I never got the chance to make him proud of me" was, in spite of the obvious ludicrousness of it (no possible amount of added time was going to end in Connor Roy making Logan Roy proud), devastating.

also sad to welcome Kerry to the "reacts to bad things happening by laughing in shock" club. I did not want her as a member but she's here now.

• Like 1

• Admin
4 hours ago, livid said:

Peak Succession tonight 

Spoiler

Spent most of the episode expecting Logan to survive, because it seemed unbelievable that he would be killed off, off screen, 3 episodes in to the final season.

He’s been this supermassive black hole that everything and everyone has orbited around and been sucked into for 32.25 episodes, and at the minute I’m struggling to envision what the next 7 episodes will look like without him. 

Matthew Macfadyen is incredible though. Those moments of realisation that throwing his lot in with Logan may now be the worst he’s ever made was played perfectly, and despite being a horror like the rest of them, him trying to give 3 kids a chance to say their goodbyes to their father, who is already dead, was one of the most human moments of the show so far. Didn’t last long though of course.

• Like 1

Yeah that was an incredible hour plus of television. I can't remember the last time a show shocked me like that episode did.

1 hour ago, kliq said:

Hide contents

He’s been this supermassive black hole that everything and everyone has orbited around and been sucked into for 32.25 episodes, and at the minute I’m struggling to envision what the next 7 episodes will look like without him. 

Spoiler

The next 7 episodes will finally live up to the name of the show. It's going to be an all out war for Logan's spot. I suspect the kids will try to stick together but in the end it won't work out.

Succession:

Spoiler

Roman reaching out to Jerry for a human moment and then promptly being rejected was also tragic.

What an episode. The entire cast deserve Emmy’s after that one.

Also, Colin standing on his own at the airport. :crying:

5 hours ago, GoGo Yubari said:

Succession

Hide contents

"I never got the chance to make him proud of me" was, in spite of the obvious ludicrousness of it (no possible amount of added time was going to end in Connor Roy making Logan Roy proud), devastating.

also sad to welcome Kerry to the "reacts to bad things happening by laughing in shock" club. I did not want her as a member but she's here now.

Spoiler

that chuckles the clown line had me howling amidst all the tragedy

• Like 1

Started UK Ghosts, enjoying it, not got to be different enough to US Ghosts to differentiate one from the other for the most part yet, but I think both are solid. US clearly going for more of a Good Place positive and charming vibe, whereas UK version is a bit more down to earth and very British. Both solid and heartfelt with their comedy mind.

Beef On Netflix....so good

• Like 1

We finally made time for The Sandman. I am so happy that we did.

There's this beautiful sadness to the character of Dream, and it really just pulled me in. I felt so much throughout the first season, and nobody really told me that it would hit me as hard as it did. I heard a lot about how cool the visuals and the story are, and a lot of co-workers who watched it thought I would like it... but god damn. I don't think I've ever been emotionally accosted like that without prior knowledge that it might happen.

I look forward to seeing more of it. I've never read the graphic novels, but I loved every minute of the series.

Edited by Gabriel
  • Like 3

On 10/04/2023 at 22:29, Benji said:

Started UK Ghosts, enjoying it, not got to be different enough to US Ghosts to differentiate one from the other for the most part yet, but I think both are solid. US clearly going for more of a Good Place positive and charming vibe, whereas UK version is a bit more down to earth and very British. Both solid and heartfelt with their comedy mind.

Carrying on from this. Took way too long for me to realise Humphrey and Robin were the same person.

20 minutes ago, Benji said:

Carrying on from this. Took way too long for me to realise Humphrey and Robin were the same person.

I've seen every episode and didn't know this

S4E4 of UK Ghosts

Spoiler

That was a really sweet episode. Particularly Robin acknowledging that he's seen so many people sucked off (moved on) that he can't deal with it any longer and just remembers them his own way. If any character was going to go and not affect quality it was probably Mary, who felt a little superfluous, but it's still sad that she's gone :(

I like The Power. I found it randomly on Prime the other day and after the first episode I got excited to binge the whole thing that day. Finished episode 4 which was the last one and thought that's a weird way to end the season.

Turns out it's one of those releases weekly shows :( Episode 5 is out now but I don't have the patience so I'll probably just wait until they are all out to finish it

Florida Man (Netflix).  Ok.  It ends stronger then it starts, the last 3 episodes are really good