General Gaming Thread 2024

Ruki

The only thing I remember being particularly difficult was the bugs that stopped progress. And the occasional trap that would blow me up. But that was 3 years ago. So I can't say how the difficulty is now. 

1 hour ago, Bobfoc said:

I've read that Baldur's Gate 3 is really hard. That puts me off. I had to abandon Divinity: Original Sin 2 because I was finding it too difficult on even the lowest difficulty setting.

Fwiw I didn't get mega far in dos2 due to other reasons than the difficulty, but I eventually learned that hyperfocusing on dealing one type of damage was a must. Either blow up physical or magical barriers, or you'd never get to dealing actual damage.

Even then I agree there were some devilishly brutal fights, like the scarecrows (which me and a friend beat by liberal pre-placing of napalm barrels).

Also it didn't do a particularly well job explaining some core battle mechanics.

22 minutes ago, Draevyn said:

Does anyone play Cyberpunk? I've held off on it so far due to all the issues it had in the beginning. I've read that it's been cleaned up a lot. Just wondering if it might be time to give it a shot?

I played it to near enough completion last year, and I'd say it's perfectly playable and fun too.

I wouldn't replay it, mind, and I somehow got glitched out of the Silverhands sidequest to my dismay, but the rest I still 100% as much as possible.

Avoid smart guns, they will trivialise combat, especially the ones that go through walls. You can literally just stand outside and clear a building without ever setting foot inside.

On 24/07/2023 at 21:23, Bobfoc said:

I've read that Baldur's Gate 3 is really hard. That puts me off. I had to abandon Divinity: Original Sin 2 because I was finding it too difficult on even the lowest difficulty setting.

I just read that on the easiest difficulty, the game gives you a +2 on all your rolls, which is huge. (At level 1, people will have, most likely, +6 to attacks and certain saves at most. So an extra +2 will be a world of difference)

While I won't be getting any of them straight away, there are a fair few games releasing this month that I'm keeping a keen eye on. Other than Baldur's Gate 3, there's Wrestlequest, Shadow Gambit, Bomb Rush Cyberfunk, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Sea of Stars. I'm sure a significant number of people will be interested in Armored Core VI as well.

August is traditionally considered part of the summer games drought period, but lineups like these show that there's plenty out there if you're willing to apply the smallest effort to look beyond the massive publishers.

I've never played any of the Armored Core series but I am curious with the FromSoft connection, even though it's not not a Soulslike. Though, I did skim through a bit of VaatiVidya's latest video and he was alluding to it being more Soulslike than people might expect. 

Plus, I've always had an inkling to play something where you're a mech that can swap different parts in and out, just sounds cool. I've never played The Surge but I know that specifically is a Soulslike meets mech suit type thing.

• Like 1

I'm still slowly working through Great Ace Attorney and it does a lot of really great things with the formula but I will miss I very much miss the big ridiculous cartoony villain breakdowns. There are breakdowns but practically everyone who turns out to be guilty has some tragic backstory reason for it rather than just being some petty evil jerk.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Draevyn said:

Anyone who bought BG3, what was your first character?

Half-Elf Rogue for me :D 

I spent 15 minutes making a drow paladin. And then, as I was about to hit play... I changed my mind and spent another 15 minutes making a tiefling bard. 

6 hours ago, Ruki said:

BG3 is the best. I picked up a goblin and threw it at another goblin, killing both goblins.

I apparently suck at this game. I've had many deaths. I picked the lock of the door that you come to when you first crash.....I probably shouldn't have done that. There's a lot of people in there that want to kill me...and did....a few times.

• Haha 2