General Gaming Thread 2024

Ruki

Frankly I consider myself too wussy to touch RE games in any context...and I manage to get spooked by things that I've seen plenty of times before and I know are coming...so I commend you all for persevering.

An example of the latter from just yesterday: revisiting the Soulless pacifist ending of Undertale (via watching a Let's Play) still FREAKS ME THE FUCK OUT even though I try and prepare myself for it.

• Like 1

Resident Evil as a series was always so weird for me growing up. There were a LOT of games that I never really got into at the time, because while I read the game magazines monthly - I rarely got the chance to get a new game so it was usually something VERY specific that I'd ask for and RE2 was one of those games that I experienced mostly through a magazine walk-through. It created this weird mystical nature about it where I knew the game in and out and had never seen it in motion.

Now, I ended up playing RE4 on the Gamecube when I got that, and a bit of RE5 and RE6 just because those landed when I lived in the city and I rented them from Blockbuster but never went back to properly play RE2.

When the remake landed, I just kind of ignored it because I hated the Mr. X concept - but eventually in 2020 when everyone was getting into streaming I saw it on sale in a pack with the RE3 remake and decided that I was going to give it a try and made it the first thing I ever streamed. Fell in love with the series right away and I've played every implementation of it that I could get my hands on.

Weird thing is, I was pretty much squeamish about everything too - but eventually kind of got through it once I realized that Mr. X was just a game mechanic that was going to trigger at certain times and like most anything else, he could be gamed. In reality, he's actually a very minor obstacle that just serves a purpose of keeping you from lingering around an area too long - and the time that it gives you before he shows up is really, really generous in most cases.

• Like 3

One of the funniest things i've ever seen was at my friends house playing resident evil 1, and he tried to open the front door and the badly animated dogs barked and he lept up and turned the console off out of fear

• Haha 5

I always found "classic" Resident Evil games to be more tedious than fun. All the backtracking to find and drop off items to complete obtuse puzzles just ended up annoying me, especially if you died halfway through and had to remember what you'd already done since your last save. While some people like the old tank controls because they make you feel more helpless against zombies, they make moving around the rest of the time really finicky.

I got the Resident Evil 2 remake for free and got about halfway through. I was glad they put in a better control system and the zombie encounters were better, but the game still wasn't particularly enjoyable for me. Maybe it isn't supposed to be "fun" as such, but it didn't significantly engage me in any other way either.

I've had my butt kicked, so I switched to Assisted. I think Mr. X is gonna show up soon (just saw the prison scene... and was chased by dogs).

Is there a lot of story missed by playing only one character?

Edit: I saw him lift the helicopter and ran to the safe house like a coward.

Edit 2: after about an hour, he's kinda annoying. I was trying to push the book cases but he was in the library with me. So I had to lead him away and drop him. I just fixed the bell tower, and he's probably waiting right outside the door.

On 26/04/2023 at 05:51, Kazuma KiRuki said:

I've had my butt kicked, so I switched to Assisted. I think Mr. X is gonna show up soon (just saw the prison scene... and was chased by dogs).

Is there a lot of story missed by playing only one character?

Edit: I saw him lift the helicopter and ran to the safe house like a coward.

Edit 2: after about an hour, he's kinda annoying. I was trying to push the book cases but he was in the library with me. So I had to lead him away and drop him. I just fixed the bell tower, and he's probably waiting right outside the door.

Think the bell tower is one of the last time you see him on the first run, there's a decent amount of story missed but at the same time I wouldn't say it's an essential playthrough.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Captain Kirk said:

Think the bell tower is one of the last time you see him on the first run, there's a decent amount of story missed but at the same time I wouldn't say it's an essential playthrough.

I encounted him as Ada. That was more annoying than scary. Let me scan the walls!

But! I am in the lab now. Dangerously low on ammo. But I have a flame thrower.

That's another thing - Resident Evil is so good at keeping you at JUST the level of ammo you need even when playing on a lower difficulty. I appreciate it in general, because I never feel super, over prepared (most of the time) and even when I do, I end up going through ammo at a rate where I realized that the game has been prepping me the whole time without me realizing it.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, apsham said:

That's another thing - Resident Evil is so good at keeping you at JUST the level of ammo you need even when playing on a lower difficulty. I appreciate it in general, because I never feel super, over prepared (most of the time) and even when I do, I end up going through ammo at a rate where I realized that the game has been prepping me the whole time without me realizing it.

This is one part of survival horror that way too many games miss out on. The closest I've ever come is Last of Us on grounded, but even then it doesn't give you enough ammo for the big fights (IE: the gym bloater).

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, apsham said:

On first playing 2 for the PS1. Very new to the game. Pretty much ignored any advice, and went around randomly shooting guns for fun with Leon. This resulted in zero ammunition left to loot before the final boss of the first part. I ended up having to take it down with knife attacks and keep running. I effectively made part 2 with Claire impossible to do. 

I think 2 still stands out as a favorite game memory. Although I enjoyed 1 because of the cool creepy old mansion setting. 

Mostly fond memories of most of the original core game's, and character's. 1 just for the setting alone, the music and overall factor of it I still enjoy.

The Shark scene was one I did enjoy more in the remake, but the music was on point for that underwater lab part in the original. Memories of Wesker shooting at some bee's, strange skinned apes, a giant snake, Jill sandwiches and "Wow, What a Mansion." 

I am back to roughly where I was when my original Persona 4 save corrupted about 10 years ago! I'm in the November dungeon. And I think I have met the requirements for the secret dungeon/true ending!

Edit: just starting the RE3 Remake (I'm used to the mechanics and it's short), made me remember that Jill Valentine is one of my first gaming crushes.

On 29/04/2023 at 06:21, Kazuma KiRuki said:

I am back to roughly where I was when my original Persona 4 save corrupted about 10 years ago! I'm in the November dungeon. And I think I have met the requirements for the secret dungeon/true ending!

The requirements for the 3rd semester dungeon is literally maxing out one social link, so at least it's nothing complicated. The main risk of accidentally missing the true ending comes in March. I can provide a non-spoiler hint if necessary.

(There is one other social link of value for added story scenes, but it doesn't lock out the true ending without it.)

[googles to remind myself which dungeon was in November] Oh... yeah.

If you've not played past there before, good luck with December. 😅

3 hours ago, stokeriño said:

The requirements for the 3rd semester dungeon is literally maxing out one social link, so at least it's nothing complicated. The main risk of accidentally missing the true ending comes in March. I can provide a non-spoiler hint if necessary.

(There is one other social link of value for added story scenes, but it doesn't lock out the true ending without it.)

[googles to remind myself which dungeon was in November] Oh... yeah.

If you've not played past there before, good luck with December. 😅

I just finished the December 3rd, where we decided to not murder a guy. 

And I was one rank off of maxing Adachi. His stupid  random schedule.

• Like 1