General Gaming Thread 2024

Ruki

I think the only time it was good to collect pointless thing's that I can remember that was any fun was in Vice City. Just to get the helicopter at the end. It felt worthwhile. 

I did AC 2, 3 and Black Flag the same way. Collect whatever I could. Most game's now I don't think I hardly bother with collectibles. Unless it's adding to the lore and game world. That I enjoy. 

Guess as I've got older, and don't game as much. It doesn't have the same urgency to collect everything. Unless it's needed for something.

Speaking of AC I felt Valhalla had way to much content and random thing's to try and do. 

• Like 1

The ones in Spiderman were alright as they at least had a bit of bonus story (and maybe a new suit?), and the Riddler trophies in Arkham Asylum were excellent. Most others are just annoying, especially if they don't tell you where they are when you've got two left to find...

• Like 1

On 13/03/2023 at 14:23, probablyoliver said:

The RE4 demo has me very excited for RE4, and so I downloaded RE2 to tide me over until next week, and man, this is quite possibly one of the best games of all time. It's just all over brilliant, start to finish.

I think I'm going to try and platinum it before next Friday, which means playing it through 4-6 times. With most games that would sound like a total slog, but with RE2, that's an absolute joy.

Couldn't agree with you more Ollie, but you did ruin it with the P word. So close to a like from me...

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I don't mind collectables at all, I love collectables. but with this assassins creed game there's no story. you just land on the map and there are these icons for things to collect like, how does the player character know they're there? What the fuck is an animus fragment? Why are these treasure chests which contain like £8 so important that they're worth having icons on the map? what's the point of it? There's no reward or anything, there's no storyline to introduce them, it's all just so pointless and generic. it's really soured me on ever playing another AC game.

Like, take Breath of the Wild and those fuckin korok seeds, there's a narrative reason for them. You're told why they're important, and the first 100 or so you get tangible rewards for collecting them. Then if you wanna get the last 800, that's on you, but there's no prompts or map icons or anything, if you ignore them after that point you'd never even know they were there. And even while you're collecting, there are puzzles to unlock them. But with AC treasure chests it's just like, walk to this treasure chest, open it, collect £8, walk to the next one, collect £9 and a necklace, but the necklace doesn't do anything so you just get the cash value of £25. What was the point of saying it was a necklace?

I'm so mad at myself for having wasted the time doing it.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Justin Buschlander said:

The GTA games were the only times I cared about collectibles, and it was less to do with trying to 100% the game and more because it helped me immensely to have all these weapons at my base every time I fired up the game, so I didn't have to keep wasting money at AmmuNation.

Thinking about GTA3, that's a good example of collectables. It's explained to you what they are, they fit in with the games lore, you get tangible, useful and properly weighted rewards for collecting them, and they're not obtrusive

• Like 1

On 15/03/2023 at 07:35, 9 to 5 said:

Couldn't agree with you more Ollie, but you did ruin it with the P word. So close to a like from me...

Bloody love a platinum.

Update!

I have finished Leon A and Claire A, whilst also knocking out the trophies for never using any health item, the item box and doing it all in under 14,000 steps.

I've now just got the B playthroughs, which I've got to do on hardcore difficulty whilst getting a S rank (so under 2 hours). I think it's doable.

• Like 2

Obviously after they kicked much of the creative minds behind Disco Elysium out of the company in a chase for more profits anything they put out is artistically questionable but this is just surreal stuff.

https://www.ign.com/articles/disco-elysium-update-adds-fan-art-creation-tool-collage-mode

It's like how badly can we fundamentally misread and mistreat a game's philosophy? We're maybe 2 years away from a Disco Elysium mobile game that says "actually you gotta give the fascists credit".

• Sad 1

On 16/03/2023 at 13:14, probablyoliver said:

Bloody love a platinum.

Update!

I have finished Leon A and Claire A, whilst also knocking out the trophies for never using any health item, the item box and doing it all in under 14,000 steps.

I've now just got the B playthroughs, which I've got to do on hardcore difficulty whilst getting a S rank (so under 2 hours). I think it's doable.

Second update!

I have finished both hardcore modes and got an S on both of them. They were scary, I didn't like them one bit.

All that's left for the platinum is the 4th Survivor, which I'll knock out tonight, then I'll just impatiently stare at the pre-load of RE4 until Friday.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, probablyoliver said:

Second update!

I have finished both hardcore modes and got an S on both of them. They were scary, I didn't like them one bit.

All that's left for the platinum is the 4th Survivor, which I'll knock out tonight, then I'll just impatiently stare at the pre-load of RE4 until Friday.

I have platinumed Resident Evil 2.

I hope Niner is proud of me.

• Like 3

I fear I am nearing the end of Octopath Traveler 2 :( I have finished everyone's main stories, now I just have...

Spoiler

The second chapters of the dual stories. And then I imagine one final chapter to beat a mysterious big bad.

Might also try my hand at the super boss, see how bad I get my butt kicked. 

• Like 3