General Gaming Thread 2024

Ruki

Diablo IV beta sure is more Diablo. I've not been keeping up on it's development so I don't know what the new features are meant to be it, after loading up D3 again for the first time in like a decade, it doesn't feel massively different. The quasi open world I guess brings something a bit different but it's not like you weren't running from place to place in the older games with mini-dungeons dotted around the place.

Maybe I'll have another look if there's a big sale on or when they bundle in an expansion but I'm not spending £60(!) on it. Will probably just go back to 3 or try the remaster of 2 if I get the hack/slash urge again. Or there's always Immortal...maybe not.

On 26/03/2023 at 07:38, 9 to 5 said:

RE4 remake is so good as I hoped it would be and expected! @probablyoliver please tell me you are doing bits with it!

Yep, loving it. Still very early on in chapter 3 as I've not been about the last couple days, but I already know I'm going to adore it.

As I told you the other day, I actually prefer 3 over 2, which I know is sacrilege as far as RE fans are considered, but I prefer action-heavy horror over horror-heavy action if that makes sense. I can already tell this is very much an action game first, and that's alright by me.

Also @apsham, when I walked into the graveyard at the start of chapter 3 I was convinced I was about to fight Father Gascoigne. So that's extra points from me.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, probablyoliver said:

Yep, loving it. Still very early on in chapter 3 as I've not been about the last couple days, but I already know I'm going to adore it.

As I told you the other day, I actually prefer 3 over 2, which I know is sacrilege as far as RE fans are considered, but I prefer action-heavy horror over horror-heavy action if that makes sense. I can already tell this is very much an action game first, and that's alright by me.

Also @apsham, when I walked into the graveyard at the start of chapter 3 I was convinced I was about to fight Father Gascoigne. So that's extra points from me.

It's not sacrilege at all just a testament to the strength of the first four, plus Code Veronica, on how good they are. I know I am in the minority in liking but not loving 3. And yeah it was always more action 4, which normally I would say not what I want from RE but 4 is just so so good.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, probablyoliver said:

I'm in the same boat as you when it comes to the gameplay of 3 at the very least.

I'll always have this weird nostalgia for RE2 - I didn't own it or play it properly growing up, but I did have magazines with walkthroughs of it and I would read those magazines until they were falling apart, so I had all these ideas built up in my head of what actually playing the game was going to be like. It was the first RE game that I played properly in years when the Remaster came out and the first game that I streamed.

But RE3 has much better pacing for me. Jill just being fucking DONE with all of the bullshit happening around her is something that I adore, and the improved mobility and dodging just make sense to me when we're talking about modernizing that game.

When I played the RE4 demo, memories of playing the original on Gamecube came back to me - I have basically no memory of the last part of the game and just couldn't get on with the way the controls worked back then, but getting this treatment is absolutely perfect. I refreshed myself on the old game and they've really perfectly fixed the pacing and the back half of the game - just front to back and excellent experience, and while it didn't get a dodge it got the parry system which is even better.

• Like 1

Octopath Traveler 2's final boss fight destroys a long standing rpg trope

Spoiler

Where you have many party members and they don't fight with you.

Fuck that. Here's a huge boss. Now use all EIGHT CHARACTERS AT ONCE

10 hours ago, Kazuma KiRuki said:

Octopath Traveler 2's final boss fight destroys a long standing rpg trope

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

I love when that happens.  Suikoden 2 has a great boss fight where you get to use like three teams of 6 in a fight.  Really makes the boss feel like a more epic encounter.  

• Like 1

There's some videos of folks beating that Octopath 2 side boss in a single turn. It's wild. 

2 hours ago, Kazuma KiRuki said:

Just finished the tutorial for Midnight Sun's and this game is delightful!

I picked it up this weekend myself, I’m enjoying it immensely. Not quite what I was expecting but I didn’t pay too close of attention before it released. 

• Like 1

On 26/03/2023 at 07:38, 9 to 5 said:

RE4 remake is so good as I hoped it would be and expected! @probablyoliver please tell me you are doing bits with it!

Ohhhh boy, chapter 9 is something else.

9 hours ago, Kazuma KiRuki said:

Just finished the tutorial for Midnight Sun's and this game is delightful!

I made a beer with that same name. True story.

I think it's for the best. Developers and publishers had to pay to show their games and the ESA is a poorly run organisation, as evidenced by the time they leaked the personal details of all E3 2019 attendees. Smaller games also tended to be either pushed to one side or lost in the avalanche of big-budget game reveals.

In the last couple of years, most publishers have moved towards a system of showing games set for release in the near-ish future, rather than spaffing out dozens of CG trailers for games that haven't even entered development yet. It might generate fewer talking points, but it's more focused and easier to digest.

While I miss seeing the on-stage gaffes and ill-judged celebrity cameos that made E3 fun to laugh at, I'm glad that, Game Awards aside, we can now watch reveal showcases without all the whooping and whistling from the attendees.

• Like 1

I've tried a few VR games. A Star Wars one where I was flying an X-Wing was fun but made me super nauseous. I played a couple of other ones that were more sedate but then it mainly became a case of "ffs it would be much more convenient playing this game in the normal way".