General Gaming Thread 2024

Ruki

My oldest has always been liking video games, but it's not her forte. When asked, she would rather putter around on her tablet or watch a movie than play a game. So she doesn't have her own Switch like her siblings. 

Last week on Friday she asked what game we could play together. Her choices in games are very single player - The Sims or Stardew Valley. I decided - why not show her Undertale? 

I knew this years ago when I played Undertale, but it is an example of a perfect video game. It is by the best video game released this century. There is not a single flaw in the game. It's absolutely enjoyable for a middle aged man and it's absolutely enjoyable for a 10 year old girl. 

It has bar none the best video game soundtrack ever. I listen to the Undertale album on Spotify when I need to smile. It is so charming and sweet. We has been howling laughing at Sans and Papyrus. She lost her mind at the Dog Marriage and wanted to quit so she could redo the battle. She spent a half hour speaking to every person in Snowdin valley. She on purposes engaged in random encounters to see all the characters, all the interactions. She has killed some characters and I have remained mum knowing what has happened. The art style is so simplistic yet so iconic because of character design. It's simplistic character design but done in a way that clearly conveys who each character. 

I remember the same feeling when I played Undertale coming up on a decade ago. The pure joy and bliss of each character interaction, the outstanding and recognizable music, the puzzle of each battle. It's outstanding. 

• Like 4

Been playing Hades and what a game it is. 

I kind of struggle with roguelikes cause of the whole repeatedly dying aspect but Hades has gotten me into them more. Just the look and feel of the game is brilliant and trying to make the right build. 

I've beaten Hades 3 times so got another 7 to do to complete the ending. 

• Like 3

I thought they’d at least finish the storyline they started, but, nope - Marvel’s Avengers is getting the plug pulled in September. Last patch is due out at the end of March, and all emotes, takedowns and outfits will be free. After September, they’re also pulling the game from digital storefronts (but the game itself will continue to be accessible if you own it already, or buy a physical copy for some reason). Until they also pull the plug on the servers, anyway.

Crystal Dynamics and SquareEnix fucked this up ROYALLY. This should have been a license to print money, and it was a shitshow from launch day.

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, damhausen said:

Didn't Crystal Dynamics recently get sold to Embracer Group? Tough to keep track of all this stuff in the end, but wonder if that's just part of the change in who they're a subsidiary of.

Yeah, Embracer bought a number of studios from Square Enix including Crystal Dynamics, Eidos Montréal and Square Enix Montréal. And straight up just bought some IPs from Square, too.

The Marvel license transferred over to Embracer when they bought CD, so I don’t think it’s because of the sale or anything. It’s probably Embracer realizing that keeping support going for a game that’s been dead for two years now is really dumb, and they need all hands on deck for Tomb Raider and Perfect Dark for Microsoft.

To seemingly continue the trend of the better superhero video games struggling to get high sales numbers (see Guardians of the Galaxy), Midnight Suns was only the 14th highest-selling game on PS5 in December in the US, behind even Spider-Man Miles Morales which came out in 2020, and not even in the top 20 for Europe. Meanwhile, Gotham Knights, whilst not "bad", doesn't have anywhere near the same level of critical acclaim, is still selling far more.

Granted I haven't bought Midnight Suns yet, so I'm not exactly helping.

52 minutes ago, Chris2K said:

To seemingly continue the trend of the better superhero video games struggling to get high sales numbers (see Guardians of the Galaxy), Midnight Suns was only the 14th highest-selling game on PS5 in December in the US, behind even Spider-Man Miles Morales which came out in 2020, and not even in the top 20 for Europe. Meanwhile, Gotham Knights, whilst not "bad", doesn't have anywhere near the same level of critical acclaim, is still selling far more.

Granted I haven't bought Midnight Suns yet, so I'm not exactly helping.

GTA V being so high up is ridiculous no wonder Rockstar are taking there sweet time releasing another one

So in recent gaming updates I have finally gotten round to completing Cyberpunk and I've beaten Hades 10 times to get the ending. 

Both wonderful games. Hades I absolutely adore just think as an overall package its brilliant. The voice acting, the art design, the gameplay. It's what you want in a game. 

Cyberpunk I had real fun and I'm glad I waited it out for the ps5 upgrade and the fixes cause if I got that when it came out I would have been fuming. 

On 25/01/2023 at 06:52, Chris2K said:

Hitman's new Freelancer mode is due to go live tomorrow, I've been following this intently yet somehow they snuck the announcement in a press release that I didn't see until last night.

I'm very much looking forward to it, even if I feel it's going to be very difficult.

Details

Damn that does sound fun.  Hitman really is the perfect series to add roguelike elements into

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Chris2K said:

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't confused that so many of the character models in Ishin are the character models of the standard Yakuza protagonists, right down to the eye-patch, despite being centuries apart in time.

The only way that could get more on-brand is if the characters *were* the same people just centuries apart.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, TheGrandAvatar said:

Well time to jump into Yakuza after seeing this video. Spoiler for the cameo that will be going into Like A Dragon from someone we all easily know. 

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

I look forward to hearing at great length how much Jim Cornette hates the Yakuza franchise.

• Haha 2

On 26/01/2023 at 13:54, Maxx said:

Damn that does sound fun.  Hitman really is the perfect series to add roguelike elements into

I played it a bunch tonight. It's really difficult. Or I might be really bad without all the standard gear (lockpicks) and markers. I'm also annoyed that you are given bonus missions like cause the target to die in an accident, but doesn't put them on a loop capable of that.

After a lot of failed attempts, I seem to be on a decent run right now, with 2 successful syndicates taken down. 

• Like 1