General Gaming Thread 2024

Ruki

I read that PSVR 2 uses eye-tracking and blurs out areas of the screen you aren't looking at to save on graphical demands. In theory, that should both boost visual fidelity and combat motion sickness. Unfortunately, the headset is more expensive than the PS5 itself, which is very much the state of affair for VR in general.

At the moment, VR caters predominantly to a small number of enthusiasts because of the price and technical demands. Unless companies make significant strides towards making them more comfortable and easier to use, there's always going to be a barrier stopping it from becoming mainstream.

The Meta Quest is a good start. It's wireless and thus the easiest big-name set to use, as well as being a bit cheaper than its competitors. Still, it's a big, clunky piece of kit that most people aren't going to want to wear for long periods of time. Ideally, they would hold off on major graphical improvements and keep making smaller and lighter headsets, but that doesn't seem to be in their plans.

8 hours ago, METALMAN said:

Has anyone ever tried VR gaming? On the one hand I want to get a VR headset so I can play Euro Truck Simulator (and literally nothing else) but on the other I’ve heard the visual fidelity is a bit shit and blurry and that it makes you feel sick. 

I've done most VR art exhibits with no problem but once they get interactive (i.e. close to gaming) I start to feel a bit sick. And the graphical fidelity is always a tad bit lacking, it doesn't feel totally fluid.

2 hours ago, METALMAN said:

Hmm yeah I think I've decided against it. I like the idea of it but I think I'm going to have to try it out for myself before I spend any money on it. And I don't think I'm going to get an opportunity to do that any time soon.

Are you still streaming your trucking adventures?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Chris2K said:

MONSTER ENERGY used FRIVOLOUS LAWSUIT!

It wasn't very effective...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 11/04/2023 at 02:35, Bobfoc said:

Capcom has added microtransactions to the Resident Evil 4 remake's new Mercenaries mode. I have no doubt that the decision to wait until shortly after all the positive reviews came in is completely by design.

Not exactly 100% correct in that regard - they added Mercenaries mode and at the same time released additional DLC (in a weird way, especially on Xbox where it was a few bundles of the same item) for unlocking an item that allows you to get the final upgrade for a weapon for free.

They normally do this and have been doing it for RE2 Remake, RE7, RE3 Remake and RE Village so far - usually the game comes out and then a few weeks/a month later they release DLC that unlocks all of the stuff that is traditionally locked behind needing to beat the game on ___ mode in ___ amount of time. I usually grab them because S+ runs are usually past me.

But this time around (so far) its just these items that you can buy a single version of, or a few of them bundled. It's a bit odd really, because you can New Game+ RE4 quite easily and get as many of them as you'd probably want - especially for the guns that you wanna use. But from what I gather on these, they're available across all your save files so even if you start up a new game you'd have access to these tickets right away, so they're not a one and done thing.

It's a weird version of what they were doing before, but it's not like they've added "2 dollars to continue playing" or something like that and it isn't really anything that I think would've hampered reviews.