General Gaming Thread 2024

Ruki

20 minutes ago, Bobfoc said:

Does it have a GM Mode like in OOTP? I find that to be an interesting way to play those games.

Yes, you can set it so that the AI does the lineups, playbooks, and sim (either quick sim or play by play) the game. With you focusing on the hiring and roster building.

I do want to caveat that the game can feel very obtuse, I think with the new UI things are slightly easier to find, but sometimes it can feel less obvious (Like why the concept of an average ovr starts above 40/100 rather than most games where it is somewhere around 70), and especially stuff like draft scouting that is deliberately somewhat vague and not an exact science.

• Like 1

Been playing Alan Wake 2. Was a bit skeptical of the high reviews as I felt the first game (and Control) were somewhat overrated, but it's exceeded all expectations so far, with what is possibly the best gaming moment I've had this year.

Somebody on Reddit described it as an AAA game but with the developers given free reign to do all the batshit ideas they wanted, and I'd say that's a fairly accurate description of the game -- it truly feels like something original. 

(If you're planning on playing it's best to see this blind so don't click spoilers). 

Spoiler

I did not expect a prog rock musical and dance number in my horror video game, but well, here we are.

• Thanks 1

For N7 day, BioWare released a trailer. A shitty trailer of a masked person walking down a dark hallway. No information, no hint of when new information will become available. Just... walking. And I guess some Mass Effect music. I don't feel like they have the good will to pull this off. Bioware last had a good release in what... 2014 with Dragon Age? I dunno why, it just kind of annoys me. 

Bioware is a glaring example of why the individual people within the entertainment industry should be more reputable than the studio names. Almost nobody who worked on Bioware's best games is still with the company, yet the brand name is put forward as a reason to buy their games. "From the makers of ..." is the kind of misleading statement that keeps getting used (successfully) as a marketing hook.

• Like 2

I'm kind of frustrated with the way that I've built up some games in my head.

I have Persona 3/4/5 sitting there ready to play, and there's other games - mostly ones that are also on time limits of sort and have content tucked away behind hitting certain goals. I know for some of them, there are guides that are made to make sure you don't miss any content - but it's kind of a pain to follow, especially when it's something that I want to play casually in bed - having to remember where you are in the guide and make sure you don't miss something.

I think it all came about BECAUSE of Persona to be fair. The only one I've truly beaten is Persona 4 Golden which was a game that I could not put down on the Vita - but I missed out on the Golden specific extra dungeons and stuff because I didn't hit the requirements and since then I've stalled on actually starting those games because of this - even though I buy 'em and have them there.

• Like 1

I know when I played 4 Golden and 5 Royal, I was worried about missing the bonus content. So I would just find a non-spoiler list of what to do (max the social link with x person by y date) and keep that in mind. Every couple of days I would reference it again just to make sure I was on track. Thankfully those ones aren't so bad. I'm sure there are games out there that are incredibly specific or detailed. 

I don't recall anything specific for Persona 3... but at this point, you might be better off waiting the 2 months until Reloaded releases. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I picked up Katherine Full Body back during the Black Friday sale. I'm enjoying it! I didn't realize it back when it came out on PS3, but this game has some of my favorite voice actors! I remember back in the day getting all 6 endings (or was it more?), and now there's another huge set of endings. From what I read getting all the endings/doing everything can take 95 hours. No thanks! I'll get what ending I get, then watch the other endings on youtube.