As has been expected all week, Mets Opening Day tomorrow is postponed to Friday due to heavy rain in the forecast.  This was the only game scheduled for a 1 PM EST start.  Opening Day around the league now won't start until 3 PM EST at the earliest and that's if the Orioles don't have to postpone.  If they do the season won't start until 4 PM EST.

Brilliant job of scheduling as always by the MLB braintrusts.  

2 hours ago, Your Mom said:

What foul demon did the Dodgers ownership sell their souls to? They can't keep getting this lucky!

If he wasn't mediocre, I'd suggest acquiring pitcher Will Smith. 

4 hours ago, The Buscher said:

As has been expected all week, Mets Opening Day tomorrow is postponed to Friday due to heavy rain in the forecast.  This was the only game scheduled for a 1 PM EST start.  Opening Day around the league now won't start until 3 PM EST at the earliest and that's if the Orioles don't have to postpone.  If they do the season won't start until 4 PM EST.

Brilliant job of scheduling as always by the MLB braintrusts.  

It's very likely going to be a delayed start to the game tomorrow. Rain is expected to clear out around 3pm but they have pregame ceremonies on top of the time spent getting the field ready.

It's fine though. I'll sit there waiting for a few extra hours if I have to.

• Like 1

Opening Day is a day worth waiting through a delay for.  My dad and I though won’t ever entertain a game if there’s a reasonable chance of rain.  We only do weekday night games (cheaper, less crowded, etc) so it’s usually one of those deals where we decide and buy tix day of.  It’s about a 75 minute drive for us so being stuck there late after a delay, after working all day and with work the next morning, is something we avoid at all costs.

Of course, in the last few years we’ve called off plans to go not just because of rain but because of that Canadian wildfire smoke we got last year, and generally just really disgusting humid nights.

Wish every team had a retractable roof and we could return to the days of scheduled double headers.  Ah well.

In the club level, the Orioles have every team's team photo with the main player stats (batting avg, ERA, etc). They also have the two Commissioners Trophies (the '66 title was won before the trophy became a thing), and most of the individual awards won by players throughout the team's history. My dad and I were at a game where the rain caused a 90 minute delay last year and that was just enough time to get through all of it without stalling in spots.

Everything else to do to pass time requires spending money. And at least Orioles games have backed off airing out of town games on the screen while we wait for our game to start (though maybe this will change under new ownership).

• Like 1

What happened in Oakland yesterday was my absolute fear of what John Angelos would manage to do with this team if he kept kicking the lease down the road and never let payroll get to a reasonable level. The rest of the owners just kinda letting him get away with it has been bad enough.

Even at the absolute worst of the 2000s dark ages or after the 3rd 100-loss season in 2022, Opening Day has always been raucous in Baltimore. Even if you know the team sucks and by Memorial Day you'll already be counting down to football season, baseball being back is a celebration all its own. And John Fisher has managed to rip that joy away, incredible.

Also - other gripe. Having Cleveland open their season on the west coast is shitty. Should've just flipped them and the Angels, so that their fans could easily watch the first game of the season live in the eastern time zone and then Angels fans wouldn't have to deal with a first pitch at noon.

• Like 2

I know it’s a “typical Mets fan” thing to complain about an Opening Day lineup but after hearing all winter about how much of an analytics whiz Carlos Mendoza is, he’s batting Francisco Alvarez 7th even though he’s likely the 5th best hitter on the team and clearly the 2nd best power threat.  He’s hitting behind Starling Marte who looked like a corpse all spring in the 5th spot and DJ Stewart who was the worst player in camp on the 6th spot.

“Gotta defer to the vets” and “gotta have L/R balance no matter what” are both very much old school managerial decisions, not ones I’d expect from someone praised for new school thinking.  Guess we’ll see.

Nice opening day for the Twins! Pablo Lopez looked great, Royce Lewis is back and went yard, Carlos Correa 3 for 4 with 2 ribbies, Byron Buxton didn't get hurt!

I mean it will all implode eventually because...lol Twins...but hard to ask for much better on opening day

16 hours ago, Your Mom said:

Only downside is I have to listen to the ESPN dorks instead of my home announce team :( 

But still Cubbie Baseball is on the air! :w00t:

So.....they eliminated yet? :P