My own Opening Day traditions: I’ve had an orange Johan shirsey since we got him and that’s usually my default shirt for Opening Day. Even when I have to work I’ll wear a blue or orange button up with the shirsey as my undershirt. If I can’t watch the game live it’s DVR’d and I stay off the internet, as I think the opener works best as a “live” thing.

I also always go to my favorite grinder place. Grinder, chips, and a beer while I watch. Love the simple things.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Buscher said:

My own Opening Day traditions: I’ve had an orange Johan shirsey since we got him and that’s usually my default shirt for Opening Day. Even when I have to work I’ll wear a blue or orange button up with the shirsey as my undershirt. If I can’t watch the game live it’s DVR’d and I stay off the internet, as I think the opener works best as a “live” thing.

I also always go to my favorite grinder place. Grinder, chips, and a beer while I watch. Love the simple things.

I think this is the first time I've ever seen it referred to as a grinder online, outside  of like New England area businesses on facebook.

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, The Buscher said:

Every 3rd inning for home games the Mets bring out the Veteran of the Game.

The veteran for Opening Day, the largest crowd of the year, was named Seymour Weiner.

Respect to the man and all but holy shit.  :lol:

I saw the screenshot floating around and I went "this has to be Photoshopped"

Appears I can believe what I see on the Internet.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Maxx said:

I think this is the first time I've ever seen it referred to as a grinder online, outside  of like New England area businesses on facebook.

From western CT I can’t really imagine calling it anything else.  I guess maybe if I went to Subway I’d call it a sub by default but it’s too overpriced now.

37 minutes ago, gunnar hendershow said:

I saw the screenshot floating around and I went "this has to be Photoshopped"

Appears I can believe what I see on the Internet.

somehow it was the highlight of the game

Mets 1-hit in a loss.  Whatever, 1 game but not exactly shocked a team that couldn’t hit a lick last year running out the same lineup couldn’t hit again.

I just want them to be watchable.  That’s all.  I basically stopped watching after a June last year.  If they look hapless a month from now they might finally break me.

Jeff McNeil and the Mets bench bitched and moaned about Rhys Hoskins making a dirty slide yesterday (it wasn’t dirty).  Hoskins called them crybabies and did the motion and all of that.

Today.  1st inning.  Hoskins at the plate with 1st base open with 2 runners on.  Yeah maybe it’s draconian to call to put one in someone’s ribs but the thing with the Mets over the last few years is they never, ever retaliate no matter how performatively upset they get.  So everyone knows it’s easy to get under their skin.  Even when they were leading the league in HBPs.  They never even attempted to brush someone off the plate which emboldens teams to keep working inside with impunity.

Does Severino send him a message or pitch him inside?  Nah.  He throws a first pitch meatball down the middle which Hoskins promptly rips to drive in 2 and he celebrates wildly at first base.

So again, nothing’s changed.  Gutless team that the rest of the league loves to clown.  Business as usual.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

A jobber pitcher on the Mets threw way over Hoskins and got ejected with no warning.  Of course it was after Hoskins was 3-3 with a dinger and 4 RBI.

Ron Darling and Keith Hernandez were both in agreement that it was a stupid thing to do.  If they felt the need to send a message to Hoskins the time to do it was the 1st inning.  Instead they waited til he killed them all day and now it just looks like sour grapes, sore loser bush league shit.  29 other fanbases are roasting them on Twitter.  And they lost (of course).

Only took 2 games for the Mets to re-establish themselves as the league’s bitch.  Every team loves to beat them, and every fanbase clowns them.  Wild how the only people who don’t see this is their reputation are the ones in the Mets organization.

I might just shell out for extra innings so I can watch teams that don’t give me existential dread.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 games into his managerial tenure with the Angels and Ron Washington has apparently called a team meeting.

The Orioles have completely beaten the life out of them. They batted around in the 6th inning today and every batter scored, being capped off with a HR. Absolutely dreadful team in LA.

• Haha 1

Mets swept to open the season.  I know my posts seem like “typical Mets fan” but every flaw fans saw on this roster got exposed in the very first series.  There’s really no positive takeaways beyond the basic trope of there’s 159 to go.

Meanwhile, the Yanks open 4-0 with Soto serving as the main catalyst in 3 of the wins.

If/when the Mets season falls apart totally I can’t wait for Mets fans to pivot to “well, at least Cohen will get Soto”.  While he will probably make the highest offer, there’s no player who willingly picks the Mets over the Yanks.  I suspect he’ll give the Yanks a chance to match and, for all the talk of “Hal isn’t George” I think that flies out the window when it comes to possibly losing a 26-year old generational superstar to the Mets.  They’re paying him whatever they have to.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Buscher said:

Mets swept to open the season.  I know my posts seem like “typical Mets fan” but every flaw fans saw on this roster got exposed in the very first series.  There’s really no positive takeaways beyond the basic trope of there’s 159 to go.

Meanwhile, the Yanks open 4-0 with Soto serving as the main catalyst in 3 of the wins.

If/when the Mets season falls apart totally I can’t wait for Mets fans to pivot to “well, at least Cohen will get Soto”.  While he will probably make the highest offer, there’s no player who willingly picks the Mets over the Yanks.  I suspect he’ll give the Yanks a chance to match and, for all the talk of “Hal isn’t George” I think that flies out the window when it comes to possibly losing a 26-year old generational superstar to the Mets.  They’re paying him whatever they have to.

Don't forget that reliever got suspended for 3 games for that throwing incident!

19 minutes ago, gunnar hendershow said:

First no hitter of the season thrown by Ronel Blanco of the Astros in his 8th career start.

Of course some other guy would steal the spotlight on Shota's big day! :angry: 

Nah I'm kidding who doesn't love a no-no? :P 

• Like 1

Mets start 0-4 for just the 5th time in their history (the first 3 years of existence, 2005, and this year).  More alarmingly though they've scored 1 run or less in 3 of these games.  The one game they scored, the pitching was awful.  But they're just taking completely non-competitive at-bats.

Again the baseball season is long but when you look at the Mets' schedule it's easy to not feel that way.  They play 4 in Atlanta next week which feels like a borderline lock for a 4-game sweep given the Mets never win there.  Like there's a legit chance JD Martinez is gonna arrive to and provide thump to a lineup that might be already 8+ out of it by the time he gets there.  They're speedrunning futility.

I think most fans assumed that, if the season went poorly, the move would be to get the kids up here and sell off JDM, Manaea, Severino, Quintana, and anyone else here for the short-term.  But if the start to this season is any indication of how this team is gonna play I think there's a non-zero chance Cohen finally realizes half-measures aren't gonna work and he just blows the thing up.  Lindor, Nimmo, Alonso, McNeil etc are associated with a massive September 2022 choke job and a point might come where you realize that group ain't it.

It's tough to sell a NY fanbase on a complete teardown and rebuild but if this year really goes that horribly I don't think the fans care about losing anyone on this roster not named Francisco Alvarez.