The Urban Music Thread

Guest Blade

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bunch Load of News

Flex & Busta Clash Over Leaked Song

Busta Rhymes' lengthy hiatus from rap has seemingly caused the supply to exceed the demand and Hot 97 DJ Funk Master Flex has leaked a new song from the Aftermath rapper without permission.

Flex premiered the Scott Storch-produced "I'll Hurt You" on Wednesday and Busta has reluctantly started to promote his next album.

"Somehow, some kind of way [it was leaked] - and we're still trying to figure out - I've never had a leak problem. I've been trying to get Flex on the phone and he ain't been returning my calls," Busta told us. "I've been trying to get a meeting so we can find out, first of all, how he got the record and, second of all, why wouldn't you check with me to see if it was cool to play the record that you didn"t get from me. Me and Flex have a great relationship, so it's baffling to me."

With his sabbatical coming to an abrupt close, Busta said he's taking particular care for his follow-up to 2002's It Ain't Safe No More.

"I don't know what the f**k's going on. I been quiet for 2 and a half years and I never took this long to put out an album. But I felt it was necessary, with the situation with Aftermath, that I relaunch my campaign that there ain't a stone left unturned. [We have to] meticulously strategize the right way to blast off."

To make matters worse, the Long Island native said that the intricate DJ network has cried foul with Flex boasting the song before others and these are the very spin doctors that will push his Aftermath opus.

"Its complicating my relationship with other DJ's," the gravely-voiced rapper said. Still, some DJ's have opted to exercise other options.

"N***as ain't dumb man. We jacked the song from the internet and played it with all the Flex Bombs," said an anonymous disc jockey from the South. "You know other DJs are going to jack it and play it."

Concurring, Busta said, "It's a good problem to have in one sense, because if a song is that dope that you have to take it and just run with it like "F**k it,' I can't be mad at that."

Still, Busta explained that the leak now marks the beginning of his promotional trail towards The Big Bang, his new album slated for a May release. Busta said that his new album will entail a more personal peer into his life and that Dr. Dre is actively involved in constructing it.

"Dre loves to pull that shock treatment outta his a** to f**k the world up," he said referencing the veteran producer's long string of hits. "I'm really spilling a lot of [music] that I've been longing to spill."

Even though Flex's leak was undesired, Busta said he's ready. "Tell them, the kid is coming."

Efforts to contact Funk Master Flex were unsuccessful.

Suge Knight Being Hooked Up With Bracelets, Will Serve Time At Home

Tha Row CEO must also submit to random drug testing.

by James Montgomery

Marion "Suge" Knight's stay in state prison was a short one. Exactly one week after Tha Row CEO entered the California Institution for Men in the city of Chino, he was picked up by his family and returned to his Beverly Hills, California, home, where he will serve out the remainder of his parole under 24/7 monitoring by the California Department of Corrections.

"His family picked him up and he was told to go home and stay there until parole officers arrive and hook him up with electronic monitoring bracelets," Department of Corrections spokesperson Margot Bach said. "He is to stay on electronic monitoring at all times, under home detention, until he discharges from parole, which is in about two and a half months."

Under the conditions of his detention, Knight must submit to random drug testing, and he is to remain in his home from 8 p.m. to 6 a.m. every day. According to Bach, the drug-testing stipulation was added because of Knight's February 5 arrest in Barstow, California (see "Suge Knight Arrested After Police Find Marijuana In Truck").

After being booked by the San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department in Barstow, Knight was transferred twice — to the West Valley Detention Center in Rancho Cucamonga and then finally to Chino, where he awaited a meeting with his parole agent to see just how long he would remain there (see "Suge Knight's Illegal U-Turn Has Landed Him Back In Prison").

When Knight did meet with his agent, it was determined that, while he was in fact guilty of violating his parole, it would be better for all parties concerned if Knight served the remainder of his time at his home.

"He has been found guilty, but we don't like to return people to prison if possible. If the person has a job or a family, and there is an appropriate way to treat someone, we're going to do it this way, rather than return him to prison," Bach said. "[Knight] has a job, he's got family, so why not let him continue to manage his business? But do it under some conditions. He has to walk a pretty narrow line."

While Knight remains at home, there is still an outside chance he could be returned to state prison by the California Board of Prison Terms, because his case is listed as a "mandatory referral" due to the violent nature of his past crimes (he served five years for charges stemming from a 1992 assault). But that's unlikely, according to a board spokesperson.

This report is provided by MTV News

Guest BacknBlackHoez

been away for a a day or two.

Book Giant Sues P. Diddy Over Advance!

Random House Inc. is suing Sean "P. Diddy" Combs, alleging that the hip-hop mogul never paid back a $300,000 advance for a memoir he never completed.

In papers filed Monday at the state Supreme Court in Manhattan, the publisher alleged that Combs and his corporation, Bad Boy, have "simply kept the money they never rightfully earned." Random House is seeking the advance's return, plus interest.

"Random House has seldom resorted to a legal course of action with its prospective authors who don't write the books we have contracted for, but Mr. Sean Combs has left us no choice," the publisher said in a statement Tuesday.

"He signed an agreement with our Ballantine imprint in 1998 to write his autobiography, which he agreed to complete and deliver to us in 1999. We now have waited for over five years and have received neither the manuscript nor the return of the money we advanced Mr. Combs."

Combs' publicist, Rob Shuter, said Tuesday that there was a "disagreement with Random House that we hoped would be resolved without litigation. We anticipate that this will be resolved quickly."

According to the court papers, Combs signed with Random House in 1998 and then arranged on his own to collaborate with Mikal Gilmore, a contributing editor to Rolling Stone and author of the acclaimed Shot in the Heart. A manuscript was to be completed by Dec. 15, 1999, but the deadline passed and, in early 2000, Random House notified Combs that he was in breach of contract and that the publisher wanted the money back.

"Year after year," the papers allege, the publisher sent follow-up letters.

In 2001, Combs sued Gilmore for allegedly ditching him after accepting $325,000 to work on the book. The case was suspended later that year after Gilmore filed for bankruptcy and then was dismissed in 2004.

Combs is not the first musician who failed to meet the deadline for delivery of his life's story. Years ago, Mick Jagger received a seven-figure advance to write his memoirs. He eventually returned the money, saying he couldn't remember anything of significance.

Edited by BacknBlackHoez

Guest BacknBlackHoez

De La Soul Going Back To College!

delasoul_header.jpg

Veteran rap trio De La Soul will embark next month on a speaking and performance tour of U.S. colleges. Dubbed the Past, the Present, the Future trek, it will begin March 2 at Howard University in Washington, D.C., and run through March 30 at the University of Southern California in Los Angeles. The outing will be sponsored by Toyota.

"We've wanted to do something like this for awhile," group member Pos says. "We're fans of hip-hop and to have the opportunity to talk to young people about what's so powerful in hip-hop -- its history and what's going on right now -- is the coolest thing we could be doing."

Tickets to the shows will be available for just $1.20, while the symposiums are free of charge. At each stop and on Spitkicker.com, attendees can enter to win four scholarships underwritten by proceeds from the tour.

De La Soul has also lined up several special guests for the shows, including A Tribe Called Quest's Phife Dawg, Scarface, Raphael Saadiq and Dwele, and promises additional surprises.

The group is out in support of its fall 2004 debut for Sanctuary, The Grind Date,which peaked at No. 10 on Billboard's Top Rap Albums chart.

Here are De La Soul's tour dates:

March 2: Washington, D.C. (Blackburn Center, symposium)

March 2: Washington, D.C. (Lincoln Theatre, performance)

March 3: Baltimore (Morgan St. University, symposium)

March 4: Philadelphia (Lincoln University, symposium)

March 4: Philadelphia (Kimmel Center, performance)

March 6: New York (Spirit, performance)

March 7: Newark, N.J. (Rutgers University, symposium)

March 8: St. Louis (Washington University, symposium)

March 8: St. Louis (Fox Theatre, performance)

March 9: Detroit (African-American Museum of History, performance)

March 10: Detroit (Wayne St. University, symposium)

March 11: Houston (Texas Southern University, symposium)

March 11: Houston (Jones Hall, performance)

March 20: Chicago (Museum of Contemporary Arts, performance)

March 21: Chicago (Columbia College, symposium)

March 23: Atlanta (Clark University, symposium)

March 23: Atlanta (Woodruff Arts Center, performance)

March 28: Las Vegas (UNLV, symposium)

March 28: Las Vegas (Ra, performance)

March 30: Los Angeles (USC, symposium)

March 30: Los Angeles (Director's Guild of America, performance)

Massacre (the FULL album, not just the bootleg) has been leaked. I'm hearing mostly negative reviews, but I haven't heard it all yet. Ski Mask Way is OK and the Hate It Or Love It remix is nice.

Tracklist

01-intro.mp3

02-in_my_hood.mp3

03-this_is_50.mp3

04-im_supposed_to_die_tonight.mp3

05-piggy_bank.mp3

06-gatman_and_robbin_(feat_eminem).mp3

07-candy_shop_(feat_olivia).mp3

08-out_of_control.mp3

09-get_in_my_car.mp3

10-ski_mask_way.mp3

11-a_baltimore_love_thing.mp3

12-ryder_music.mp3

13-disco_inferno.mp3

14-just_a_lil_bit.mp3

15-gunz_come_out.mp3

16-my_toy_soldiers.mp3

17-position_of_power.mp3

18-build_you_up.mp3

19-god_gave_me_style.mp3

20-so_amazing_(feat_olivia).mp3

21-i_dont_need_em.mp3

22-hate_it_or_love_it_remix_(feat_g-unit).mp3

Piggy Bank is weak, dont believe the hype.
Edited by Jimmy the Exploder

Update: The album is trash.

The only song I would even consider listening to again is Hate It Or Love It remix. I liked GRODT and The Documentary for what they were, so it's not a case of hating on it because it's a mainstream album.

Piggy Bank is pretty weak. He only dedicates a line to each person, and the disses are soft as hell. Considering the hype, it's a major anti-climax. It's a transparent attempt to promote the album by getting Joe, Kiss, Nas etc to reply.

Guest MystikalityIX

Piggy Bank sucked hard, way too much hype for a way below-average diss track. Nas won't respond and it wouldn't surprise me if Fat Joe or Jada didn't bother to either.

The track with Eminem wasn't actually that bad, and the last two tracks were good. On the whole, the album was a big disappointment, so I'll be happily placing the money down on MM Food instead B).

Guest BacknBlackHoez

Lil Kim's Manager Enters Plea for infamous shooting outside Hot 97 NY

lilkim.jpg

Hillary Weston, long time business adviser for Queen Bee/Atlantic recording rap artist Lil’ Kim pleaded guilty to misdemeanor charges, stemming from a federal investigation involving the infamous shooting outside New York City radio station Hot 97.

Her lawyer, Michael Bachner, stated yesterday that Weston agreed to plead guilty to a misdemeanor count of passport fraud as part of a plea to avoid more serious charges, which included an alleged destruction of records that were sought by federal authorities.

“She admitted that she made a reservation for Damion Butler to travel outside the country knowing that he had an illegal passport,” Bachner stated to Newsday. “She understood what she did was wrong.”

The recent plea will narrow Lil Kim's co-defendants to only her personal assistant, Monique Dopwell who are both expected to begin the trial on February 28.

Two other members of the rapper’s entourage, Suif Jackson and Damion Butler were arrested and indicted on criminal charges in relation to a broad daylight shootout.

Prosecutors claimed that Jackson and Butler were armed with guns and were involved in a confrontation with “rival group” Capone-N-Noreaga, igniting the shoot-out that left one man seriously wounded.

Jackson has since pleaded guilty to the shooting and was sentenced to 12 years in prison. In fashion, Butler pleaded guilty in January and awaits

sentencing.

Jones and Dopwell are charged with conspiring to commit perjury, obstruction of justice and making false statements to derail a federal probe.

As of press time, phone calls to Kim’s label, Atlantic Recording Corporation were unreturned in relation to the matter.

Edited by BacknBlackHoez

Guest BacknBlackHoez

Lil Jon, Jay-Z and Pharell Williams harrased by Paris Hilton phone pranksters

Lil Jon, Jay-Z and Pharrell Williams' mobile numbers were recently posted on the Internet after a computer hacker lifted the digits from Reality TV star Paris Hilton's cell phone.

Paris Hilton is finding more than her body exposed on the Internet after computer hackers posted phone numbers online that had been stored in her cell phone.

The New York Daily News reported Monday that it was unclear how the numbers got posted on the Internet, but the incident happened just days after a 22-year-old man pleaded guilty to breaking into a cell phone company's protected computer and gaining access to records for millions of customers.

Earlier this week, Lil Jon & The East Side Boyz picked up the Roc The Mic Award at MTV's TRL Awards. The King Of Crunk took the opportunity to tell fans to stop calling his cell phone.

"Stop calling on my cell phone! I know y'all got the number off the Internet through Paris [Hilton]. Stop calling me," Jon told the TRL crowd and viewers.

Update: The album is trash.

The only song I would even consider listening to again is Hate It Or Love It remix. I liked GRODT and The Documentary for what they were, so it's not a case of hating on it because it's a mainstream album.

Piggy Bank is pretty weak. He only dedicates a line to each person, and the disses are soft as hell. Considering the hype, it's a major anti-climax. It's a transparent attempt to promote the album by getting Joe, Kiss, Nas etc to reply.

Oooo.... oh well, I just get to save money now. Disco Inferno and Candy Shop aren't too terribly bad, but they'll get old soon. And 50's going very hit and miss the past few years. So we'll call this the miss.

Please don't hurt me ;) but i dont think the 50 album is as weak as people make it out to be. i will admit it isnt as great as grodt but it isnt super weak. it has a few good songs that i like

Source is pretty obvious.

The public cannot stop talking about 50 Cent. Here, we let 50 do the talking from his peaks and valleys to the changes he's gone through as The Massacre of 2005 begins. Read on to see what's going on with the G-Unit G.

AllHipHop.com: You once said that you could never go commercial, do you think because you have sold so many records that you are officially commercial?

50 Cent: I don’t think I am commercial. I am classified as Pop because it is short for popular in music. As far as the lyrical content, my music is aggressive. That is why I feel that I didn’t win Best New Artist at the Grammy’s that year. It is cool, because my music out performed and outsold all the other nominees, so I won that award in my head. That is enough for me. I can buy a trophy up the street, and say, “I won this.”

AllHipHop.com: Most people would say that artist reaches a high level of fame, they stop rhyming, do you agree?

50 Cent: I disagree because my lyrical content has gotten stronger in my new album, The Massacre , compared to Get Rich or Die Tryin'.

Game get some shine; I am on every record that he put out already. [because] we make real good music together when we collaborate. Outside of that, hands down he is a great solo artist.

AllHipHop.com: Most people put out a street record first. Was “Disco Inferno” supposed to be a street song?

50 Cent: Yeah, it ended up being the # 4 single in the country. I put that record out because Interscope is reactive, not proactive. So when I put the record out, people are like, “Oh he is really coming out on February 14th.” Then the record goes up the charts without the support of Interscope records at that point.

AllHipHop.com: Is that the reasoning behind “Piggyback” and throwing stones at Jada and Fat Joe to create hype to build a reaction?

50 Cent: Musical talent over shadows beef the whole time. People don’t buy a 50 Cent record because of beef, they buy it because they know it is quality music. They can listen to every song on my first album and look forward to another CD with everything being consistently good. I have experienced what all artists go through in between projects. At first I was confused, now I understand that I have not done anything in anyway to indicate that I am not capable of making a new record interesting enough for people to enjoy. In fact, I think I have built a better track record for myself by releasing everyone on my label, [who] has went platinum. Who else do you know can say that?

AllHipHop.com: When it comes to beef do you think it should stay on wax or is a beef just a beef?

50 Cent: I had beef with an old head, he been around forever and everyone know who he is. That is beef. Because of the extent our beef, we are married until death do us part. And if they want to stand so close to him that they become apart of our relationship, then I make their life hard.

AllHipHop.com: What about people like R.Kelly?

50: Like R. Kelly. I never had issues with R. Kelly. There was a possibility that he was going to bring that little n***a out behind me on Summer Jam. If he made the record, and he could possibly bring him out behind me, and this kid could possibility come out and say something disrespectful in front of 55,000 people in New York City - this my base. I’ll tell you like this, I never pretend to be something I’m not. I ain’t never filled out a job application in my life. Outside of music I sell drugs, and if I didn’t say it, they will say it for me. It would be negative because I didn’t say it myself. I think Jay-Z set me up.

AllHipHop.com: Can you elaborate?

50 Cent: I think Jay-Z is a hustler, and I’m a hustler. I think the difference is, Jay-Z is okay with hustling around other people while they getting money, as long as he is getting the most money. The difference is the way I came up, is that we hustle until we get enough finances and man power and start moving n***as off the strip. I replace them with new talent, [like] Game.

AllHipHop.com: At one point on a freestyle, you said “F**k The Hood” what did you mean by that?

50 Cent: I am the hood. I have my hood tattooed across my back. I don’t see anybody with their hood tattooed across their back. I see gang members with their set tattooed across their back in the penitentiary. I have Southside tatted across my back because everything you hear me speak about, this hood brings it forth. Not even with Southside, the whole New York City, you don’t see me walking around screaming Queens all day. Southside everywhere geographically damn near every Southside sounds like the hood.

AllHipHop.com: So what do you mean when you said that?

50 Cent: I meant f**k the hood. Because I know for a fact that everybody in the hood doesn’t want to be there. It feels different if you view me, as I want hood. People think I went Hollywood when I said that. Let me be honest with you, I do things to keep people talking. They have nothing better to do go to the barbershop. I ain’t there, but I’m in there. “That n***a 50 said ‘f**k the hood’ f**k him.” If I wasn’t me, I probably won’t like me. That’s the truth, I’m killing them.

AllHipHop.com: How tired are you hearing Vivica saying your name?

50 Cent: I think I’m responsible for Vivica saying my name. I did annunciate that situation. I haven’t had a conversation with her in a year. I stop communicating with her not because she did anything bad, it was that it wasn’t a good situation for myself and I felt that if I had the conversation, I would of felt as if we were trying to fix things and that would of prolonged the bad situation.

AllHipHop.com: Correct me if I’m wrong, now on the song “Get In My Car” off your new album, you said “With Vivica I thought I was on to something/then next week, nah it was nothing.” So there’s that.

50 Cent: Yeah, it was exactly [as] what I just said to you.

AllHipHop.com.: Do you have any regrets with dealing with a shorty in the industry?

50 Cent: I try to stay away from it. You ever heard of the phrase “That’s a good look,” that means it’s good for business. And I’m straight business wise, I don’t need anyone to enhance my business situations.

AllHipHop.com: Speaking of females, now you’re doing what most groups do, you add a female to your roster.

50 Cent: You know what, I could of kept G-Unit all male, but there’s a point where you have a certain record where you need to speak from a female’s perspective. And my first single off my album, “Candy Shop,” she was able to do that for me. On my last record I had a song “Magic Stick,” that didn’t make it, because I had to give it to other female artists and they couldn’t get it don’t before the deadline. So it was left off the album and went on Lil’ Kim’s record. So she got a hit because I didn’t make that decision earlier.

AllHipHop.com: What do you think is the biggest misconception of you?

50 Cent: I think [everybody's] misconception was that they have so many fake people, that it throws them off to see someone be comfortable with themselves. Where I'm from, we don't have a option. You gotta be aggressive enough to keep n***as off you. That's the bottom line. So we have an issue, a problem, we address it early. When you become hesitant to address the situation, you find yourself in the car, window shot out glass all over the place. I'm in the back and I can't move from being hesitant. And I don' like how that feels. So I go towards addressing the situation right away, so if you really want the problem - I'm already prepared for the problem and we could go there.

You know what they don't respect? They don't respect the power of a dollar. They don't respect the paper. I'm from where the price of life is cheap. They know I'm the same person when I got on. That's why I get on the mixtapes, and remind them. I get on the mixtapes and speak directly to them. They got their fingers crossed because they see me do business and look at my intelligence like, "He'd be stupid to send n***as to come lay me down, he got all of this going for him. But they are escaping the way I was raised. I can't remember the last two years. Success is a blur of different hotel stays, city to city to city each night. I do remember what it felt like to be f***ed up, because it hurts so bad, it's hard to forget.

Sidenote: I'll have whatever fifty's snorting, thanks. Must be some good shit.

AllHipHop.com: Speaking of females, now you’re doing what most groups do, you add a female to your roster.

50 Cent: You know what, I could of kept G-Unit all male, but there’s a point where you have a certain record where you need to speak from a female’s perspective.