Bands you like...

Benji

'Songs of the Free' and 'Hard'-era Gang of Four. Sure, Songs of the Free was the album that made them not only Marxists but Marxist Existentialists, thus sending their depressive levels off the charts, but that album still had a handful of good songs. As for 'Hard' -- Marxist Post-Punk Disco is ace.

Less Than Jake. Yeah, they're cheesy and lame as shit, but they're a good nostalgia band for me.

Scritti Politti. It was the eighties...

Nothing much apart from that. Normally its me shitting on bands other people like...

EDIT:

Emo. I don't like all emo, or even most of it, but I like some of it -- even that puts me in a very difficult position.

And, EBG, I can't believe you haven't heard people shit on the Used. I had to pluck up every ounce of courage I have to admit to not completely hating 'Box Full of Sharp Objects'.

Edited by Emperor Fuckshit

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guns N Roses - If there was no Axel Rose i imagine they would be well liked but without Rose there isnt a band

Coldplay's Clocks > Every song Ever Made I.M.O

And also Linkin Park

I've met maybe two people my entire life who didn't like GNR. Whether or not they like Axl, everyone loves GNR. And, for the record, there ARE those fans who support Axl and are pissed off by the VR half.

Guns N Roses - If there was no Axel Rose i imagine they would be well liked but without Rose there isnt a band

Coldplay's Clocks > Every song Ever Made I.M.O

And also Linkin Park

I've met maybe two people my entire life who didn't like GNR. Whether or not they like Axl, everyone loves GNR. And, for the record, there ARE those fans who support Axl and are pissed off by the VR half.

Here's another one I just thought of, Marilyn Manson. I know he has a pretty good following, but alot of people give me a weird look if I mention I enjoy some of his albums. Don't get me wrong, I'm not what you'd call Manson's #1 fan, but I still think Antichrist Superstar is an awesome album. It seems alot of people will assume that a Manson fan is some gothic loser, which is definitely not the case. In fact, Manson's lyrics are some of the best I've heard from the 90s-00s. I wouldn't call Manson's music brilliant, but I really enjoy most of his early work, up to Mechanical Animals.

Cant be assed to go through the eight pages of this thread so I'll just get down to it :P

Linkin Park - I think they're an awesome band and have done since the day they came out. I've loved every album they've brought out so far, with Hybrid Theory being one of my favourite albums to date.

Avril Lavigne - *FEELS THE FLAMING COMING ON*...who gives a shit? Yeah so I love her, sue me for it. I've loved both of her albums so far and I just think she's awesome. I'll be first to admit she is poor when singing live, but she has slowly got so much better at it since when she first came out. I hate the crap people say about her trying to act like a punk or whatever, that's just bullshit. So she dresses like one at times, who cares? Then there's those idiots who claim that she tries to act like a skater, when she doesn't. Oh yeah she wears 'skater' clothes which makes you an automatic 'skateboarder'. She's not a band though, but blah.

Limb Bizkit - Not my favourite band that's for sure but I do like most of there music that I've heard. They always seemed to get flamed and well I personally don't know why.

The Darkness - Hmmm not sure if they should be here as I wouldn't say they get flamed too much. They are awesome either way, very awesome. They are so different to other bands too.

Sum 41 - Ermmm so yeah, another band I like. Some people seem to think they are too 'popish' or whatever. I must admit I mainly like them because of the awesome songs they had in American Pie II :)

Blink 182 - Exact same as Sum 41.

There's probably more so I might add a few more later.

I wouldnt call Faith No More nu-metal at all.

I think his point was that the rap/rock thing was inspired by Faith No More, in that case, he is still incorrect considering the Red Hot Chili Peppers and to some extent, the Beastie Boys were doing that before FNM.

FYI, most Nu-Metal bands cite FNM as an influence, and it's not the rap/rock idea, more just the dynamics of thier song. But Nu-Metal is basicallly created by FNM (although FNM aren't a nu-metal band).

Korn helped further the cause, but even if you disagree with the FNM statement, Deftones actually were more important to the Nu-Metal cause, as they were earlier, and more influential (as far as I remember). Also, as years go by, they are easily a better band then Korn.

I love Justin Timberlake. I went to his concert, I own tshirts, blah blah. Pretty much all males hate him because he's "gay" but he owns. The new Michael Jackson.

Also fan of Avril Lavigne who gets crapped on for being a "poser" but I don't really care.

Kelly Clarkson owns.

Shannon Noll is excellent.

Crowded House

Huh? I've never heard anyone say anything bad about Crowded House. They're hugely respected by the media and fans alike... I have no idea how they wouldn't have "integrity".

Guest Bluesman

Then there's those idiots who claim that she tries to act like a skater, when she doesn't. Oh yeah she wears 'skater' clothes which makes you an automatic 'skateboarder'.
Edited by Bluesman

As far as who I get made fun of for listening to, pretty much every jazz and blues artist/group would qualify. I also received quite a bit of crap for Living Colour and Ministry. My friends also have always had a field day with me listening to G Love and Special Sauce. I always was made fun of to no end for Savage Garden, as the fiancee really enjoys them and listening to them made me think about her. Now it's fairly pointless, since I can pretty much walk 20 feet or so anytime I want to see her.

Edited by Emperor Fuckshit

Crowded House

Huh? I've never heard anyone say anything bad about Crowded House. They're hugely respected by the media and fans alike... I have no idea how they wouldn't have "integrity".

If you read the post fully, I said it wasn't bands that were bashed by people, more bands that didn't have much following now, then they did when they were around, and some other bands who don't have much integrity.

Take it this way, someone who listens to Crowded House tends to think they are just middle of the road pop, with a little bit of rock, and massive amounts of sap. I love them, but that tends to be what people think.

Crowded House

If you read the post fully, I said it wasn't bands that were bashed by people, more bands that didn't have much following now, then they did when they were around, and some other bands who don't have much integrity.

Take it this way, someone who listens to Crowded House tends to think they are just middle of the road pop, with a little bit of rock, and massive amounts of sap. I love them, but that tends to be what people think.

Sorry, I thought we were posting in the Bands You Like That Everyone Seems to Criticise thread, not the Bands That Were Once Popular But Now Aren't Because They're Older thread.

In that case, for me it'd be Sinatra.

edit: typo

Edited by Underage Politician

You can sit here and argue whether or not KoRn created nu-metal or rap rock, they didn't. But the fact still remains that KoRn revolutionized the hard rock scene in the 90s. When grunge died, KoRn came around and changed the landscape of hard rock. That's why every mainstream band we had in the 90s either sounded like KoRn or Creed.

You can sit here and argue whether or not KoRn created nu-metal or rap rock, they didn't.  But the fact still remains that KoRn revolutionized the hard rock scene in the 90s.  When grunge died, KoRn came around and changed the landscape of hard rock.  That's why every mainstream band we had in the 90s either sounded like KoRn or Creed.

I'd say more bands sounded like Nirvana, but thats neither here nor there.

I'll also argue that Deftones were more important then Korn, as were Faith No More, but thats my opinion.

I'll also argue that Deftones were more important then Korn, as were Faith No More, but thats my opinion.

And I'll also argue that KoRn popularized the sound and made it the mainstream. Once again, I wasn't talking about originators; KoRn was the band that took that sound and made it the norm for mid-late 90s hard rock acts. Whether or not you like KoRn is irrelevant, they were the staple of what the genre sounded like during that time period. I appreciate Faith No More and Deftones, but combine their record sales and it still won't equal KoRn's. They made that sound the mainstream, I'm not saying that's a good or a bad thing, that's just the way it was.