Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Booker T & The MG's

De La Soul - "Live At Tramps NYC 1996"

At The Drive In - "This Station Is Non-Operational"

Charlotte Hatherley - "Grey Will Fade"

B0001AP12G.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Kanye West - College Dropout - 8/10

There's a running theory that seems to be present in mainstream rap that popularity and talent do not mix. Fortunately, Kanye West manages to merge rhymes and beats that fit mainstream radio perfectly with a fantastic social conscience. West has fun with catchy tracks like "All Falls Down" and "The New Workout Plan" yet gains a sharp biting edge with tracks like "Jesus Walks" and "Breathe In Breathe Out".

It's a bit skit-heavy, even with funny bits like the "Lil' Jimmy Skit". And while "Last Call" is an interesting choice to end the album, maybe a couple more tracks should've been in its place.

Alas, College Dropout disspells the theory that mainstream success means you have to take up the cliche rap star thing. Expect his next album, the August release Late Registration, to continue to do the same thing.

B0009WPLM6.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Arch Enemy: Doomsday Machine - 9/10

Fuck Amy Lee, fuck Cristina Scabbia, fuck Otep, Angela Gossow is female metal. Her metal screams are better than most males and it doesn't help that the people behind her put up some awesome tunes as well.

They're Ozzfest bound (as am I) so they're starting to give the chicks some recognition, after last year's chick representitive band Lacuna Coil took on the 2nd Stage as well. I can't wait to see them live because from this album alone, it's worth it. She may not be the hottest, but she's the best female metal has to offer, bar none.

Get this album if you like metal.

B0009RJPC8.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

James Blunt - Back to Bedlam

Quite simply put, this is one of the best albums I have heard in the last five years. He's not a revolutionary by any means. Blunt takes his lead from others like Damien Rice and it's easy to see the inspiration from them as well as from producer Tim Rothcock who has done similar arrangements for Beck and Badly Drawn Boy. But where Blunt comes into his own is in the subject content of his ballads. While Rice and his contemporaries will stick to their "I've loved and lost, but it's still better to have loved and lost than to never have loved at all" ballads, Blunt takes it a step further, changing the content each song - but keeping a central theme of emotion being the driving force- and drawing in his personal experience to create a series of deeply moving and stimulating songs. Going from the most generic track, placed well early in the album, "You're Beautiful", which is in itself still a beautiful composition, all the way through to "No Bravery", a shocking but highly emotional recollection of his time spent in Bosnia as part of the UK peacekeeping force, this album is one stirring song after another. While the slow pace and soulful lyrics won't be to everyone's taste, anyone who can appreciate good music in any of its forms would do well to pick this up if they've got the chance and if you are a fan of Damien Rice, Jeff Buckley or others such as Jack Johnson - whose rhythm is slightly more upbeat and optimistic than Blunt's - or KT Tunstall - one of my personal favourites - then it is a must have.

Edited by ADGray

Funeral for a friend - Hours

An overly slick, polished album that lacked the breakdown metal sections of their debut. The songwriting on the whole appears to be good but FFAF seem to have taken a general curve toward mainstream pop rock. Not a criticism mind you, just an opinion.

7/10

B0001CNR8Y.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Colm Wilkinson - Some Of My Best Friends Are Songs

An new sound for Colm that showcases his ability to do smooth jazz-vocal work. His take on U2's "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" is awesome, as is his interpretations of songs by artists such as Willie Nelson, Leonard Cohen and Yusuf Islam.