Pokémon

PkmnTrainerJ

Holy fuckballs, Famitsu just rated Pokémon Black and White 40/40, a perfect score. :mellow:

I know standards have dropped horribly recently, but that's still an elite club (it's the 15th game in 12 years to get it). Now I'm excited.

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Havent been keeping up with the news on the new games at all the past few months, but looking on Serebii and seeing images of the second evolutionary forms of the starters, if they are indeed real then they look pretty badass, especially the water one which looked like shit in its starter form.

Holy fuckballs, Famitsu just rated Pokémon Black and White 40/40, a perfect score. :mellow:

I know standards have dropped horribly recently, but that's still an elite club (it's the 15th game in 12 years to get it). Now I'm excited.

You mean like Nintendogs? :pervert:

So, Black and White then? All sounds rather exciting - I've been on a bit of a Pokémon kick lately, as currently girl-I-kinda-like is mad on it (228 hours and counting on Soul Silver), but the last game I played was Platinum and it was kinda tricky to get into - too much of a mix of stuff I knew from Red and Blue, and stuff I'd missed out on in the interim and didn't quite get to grips with.

Black and White, though, seems to be aiming for the same kind of experience as playing Red and Blue for the first time. You're not going to see a single Pokémon you recognise until after you've defeated the Elite Four - that's pretty much completing the entire fucking game before you so much as glance at a Metapod.

Also, three-on-three battles, complete with strategies based on where your Pokémon are positioned (left can't attack right, centre is strongest, etc.).

Seasons changing monthly (in real time), with some Pokémon only showing up during certain seasons, new mini-games, changes to the battle system in general...generally sounds like it's going to be the first major step forward for the franchise in a hell of a long time, and I'm actually looking forward to it, even if most of the new 'mons do look a bit wank.

• 5 months later...

Unova is by far my favourite region since Johto and I'm only just up to the second gym. It's like Australia in the real world - the unique Pokémon and lack of any familiar ones makes it feel like I'm some place familiar but altogether different.

Currently kicking it with just Panpour and Snivy since the others have been cool, but have not had a nature I want (I'm basing my team on the first six Pokémon of useful natures that I don't already have an element of).

is it just me or has the encounter rate really gone up in this game?

Really enjoying it so far just done the second gym with Servine,Panpour,Munna and Blitzle

Definitely, especially when you first step into the grass.

Mine is Snivy, Panpour, Sandile and Timburr. All of whom I could evolve (since they're all level 30 and I have a Water Stone) but haven't done yet. Got a bit of a weakness to flying types I have noticed, but I'm hoping to run into an electric type I like soon (Zebstrika was cool but the nature was the worst it could be of the one I caught).

As someone who hasn't played a Pokemon game since Silver, what are the biggest changes I would need to know when I go pick up my game sometime tomorrow?

This times 1000. I brought Diamond the day it came out and couldn't get into all the new changes one bit. Am I going to have the same problems this time? I've really hated the DS Gen of Pokemon so far, because the touch screen just feels so needless. I've just stolen my little brothers DS (that hasn't been used since he became one of those 13 year old kids on 360.) and plan on maybe picking this up at the end of March, depending on how my money situation looks.

As someone who hasn't played a Pokemon game since Silver, what are the biggest changes I would need to know when I go pick up my game sometime tomorrow?

Let's see what I can think of off the top of my head.

- Every Pokemon has a nature, which either increases one stat by 10% while lowering another by 10%, or in the case of five natures, does nothing.

- Every Pokemon also has an ability. These vary dramatically from the useless - Stench decreases the encounter rate in the field - to the awesome - Motor Drive increases Speed by one level if the Pokemon is hit with any Electric attack

- As of Diamond and Pearl, every attacking move's status as a physical - affected by Attack and Defence - or special - affected by Special Attack and Special Defence - attack is decided by the attack itself, not by the type. So, for example, the elemental punches used to be special attacks, being Electric, Fire and Ice respectively. Now, though, they are all physical. This has caused some Pokemon to become brilliant, Gyarados in particular.

- Pokemon hatched from eggs hatch at level 1, not level 5.

- There are tons of different hold items now, not just a few berries and those type boosting items you got each day of the week.

I think those are the biggest changes, but there are others (naturally). As Benji said though, Black and White are different in that you don't see a single old Pokemon until after you beat the Elite Four, so everything is all fresh and wonderful. It feels like you're playing a brand new game all over again, and I'd imagine it'd be like if you played Red or Blue for the first time now.

I've already beaten White, but I think I'll have to get Black on Thursday so a) I can have one in English, and b) I can beat it again while keeping my awesome team from White of Emboar, Excadrill, Sigilyph, Haxorus, Jellicent and Sawsbuck.

I hate EV/IV's and Natures to an extent. they make the game too much work.

the new features besides that are mostly cool. I think I'll get white for the Triple Battles, always enjoyed doubles more. still being ahem an adult I feel funny purchasing it, I was going to odrerit but I'll just man up and pick it up.

One thing i've noticed about White is that there's much more to do than atleast in the previous Pokemon games i've played. Atleast for the few first cities it's not been just beat the gym - move to next city - beat the gym, but there's been these small things to do and the side characters appear way more often than in the earlier games and the encounter rate is just ridiculous. The first time i stepped to the grass there was basically a fight on every step, but now it's slowed down a bit. I just went through the second gym and now heading to the Pinwheel Forest.

So far this is my favourite game since Gold/Silver.

Edited by The Sandman

I know white has triple battles, what is it that Black has?

Affirmative action...

Bad jokes aside now.

Black has triple battles but less than in white.

Black has more ''rotation battles''.

A rotation battle you send out 3 pokemon but only the one in the middle can attack. The catch is that you can freely switch to the other 2 without it costing it a turn.

As a rule of thumb.

White has more triple battles than Black

Black has more Rotation battles than White.

Me thinks personally that White is more strength friendly with the triple battles and being able for all 3 of them to attack the same turn.

And Black is more tactics friendly being able to place a support pokemon's in your team of 3 in combination to lets say a sweeper.

Edited by Jasonmufc

I'd just like for the record to show that I thought Benji something about Pokemon. :D

In other news, about about 30 battles I finally found a Throh, now I'm just grinding a bit before I go after the 2nd badge.

yeah loving TM's being reusable and HM's being less annoying.

beat the 2nd gym, I also got a Throh debating on using it. right now my team includes Servine L21, Panpour L17, Throh L16, Blitzle L14, Pidove L14.

Team Plazma .... generic bad guys but with a cool intro!

yeah loving TM's being reusable and HM's being less annoying.

beat the 2nd gym, I also got a Throh debating on using it. right now my team includes Servine L21, Panpour L17, Throh L16, Blitzle L14, Pidove L14.

Team Plazma .... generic bad guys but with a cool intro!

I'm half and half on Plasma being generic. The idea of "Pokémon freedom" is something I've thought would be interesting to explore for years because it makes them seem a bit more empathic than the usual "RAWR TAKE OVER THE WORLD TO MAKE POKEMON BETTER OFF!"