The official World Cup Quali Week thread

The Third Dukes

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope Scotland get England if it all goes to the playoffs. We might have a chance of qualifying. I turned the game off at half time because it was so shit. Rooney throwing a fit just doesn't entertain me. Unless he's headbutting someone.

And Sven has a great track record. How do you think he even got appointed in the first place? He's shit now of course. Why is he fucking around? It's the WORLD CUP qualifiers. Doesn't he know how much it means to England? I personally think he just underestimated Northern Ireland.

I'd pick Gerrard over Lampard, but that's mainly the Liverpool bias talking. If Gerrard was able to play the same way he does for Liverpool (and not have to worry about holding) then he'd be much more effective than Lampard. Unfortunately, that won't happen because it's highly unlikely that Sven'll deviate from Lampard and Gerrard in the centre (assuming we change back to 4-4-2), unless one of them gets injured.

Well, I was following the results on the Internet, and here's my log of thoughts. A lot of it is bullshit, I'll warn you straightaway. All times are Central Daylight Time.

9:26 AM – After my computer spends an hour fixing hard drive errors, I finally get to the World Cup scoreboard site.  The good news is, only one game’s going on.  Bad news?  It’s the potential for an upset.  Kazakhstan might win their first ever UEFA game at Greece’s expense, which would essentially kill the chances of the Euro champs.

9:38 AM – Fifteen minutes to go, and if this result holds, Denmark is going to look REAL good at the end of the day.  Greece, meanwhile, looks more and more like an aberration of nature.

9:47 AM – Turkey is loving this result, by the way, because it guarantees that they’ll remain in second no matter what happens later today in Kiev.  Seven minutes to go, and the Greeks are still down 1-0.

9:50 AM – You get the feeling Rehhagel is regretting not taking the German job when he had the chance?

9:51 AM – Looks like I spoke too soon!  Giannakopolis slams home the equalizer, while a Kazakh player picks up his second yellow, and suddenly the Greeks look like they might pull this one out.  You almost feel sorry for Kazakhstan, which likely would have made the last eight in Asia but chose to post zero points in Europe instead.

9:55 AM – Russia and Portugal about to kick off in Moscow, where a Portuguese win combined with anything by Latvia against Slovakia would send Portugal back to the Cup for another choke.  If the Czoke Republic, Italy, Portugal, and Spain were all drawn in one group at EURO08, could all four of them miss the playoffs?

9:57 AM – Heartbreak in Almaty and Istanbul, as Liberopolous gets the winner in injury time to put the Greeks – temporarily, anyway – in second place in their group.  Now Turkey has to beat the group winners on the road to keep pace.

10:00 AM – Starting lineups announced for the game in Prague between the Czoke Republic and Armenia.  Meanwhile, the game begins in Moscow.  It’s full time in Kazakhstan, as Greece vaults Turkey for second place with two games to go each.  Either the European champion or the defending bronze medallist will be absent from Germany.  What a kick.

10:07 AM – I suppose a complete collapse by the Czokes against Armenia at home is too much to ask for, even if it would move the US this much closer to the top seedline.  (For those curious, according to my man Charles, the top seeds as of this moment would be Brazil, Argentina, Germany, Italy, France, Spain, England, and Mexico (in no particular order), with Holland, USA, Turkey, and Ireland the next four on the waiting list in order.)

10:15 AM – We are underway in Portugal as I am getting these results on a slight delay (as you no doubt figured out).  I’m actually rooting for Portugal here – you don’t get to be my age in American and not develop a deep-seated hatred for anything Russian.  It’s a Reagan thing.

10:23 AM – Italy plays in Belarus later today.  If we all pray hard enough, the hockey Olympics result could repeat themselves and the goalkeeper could give one up off the top of his head.  Literally.  Anyone else remember that one?

10:35 AM – Kickoff in Prague was three minutes ago, and no goals yet.  I know you’re thinking that’s obvious, but Armenia is involved.  I’ll probably recycle this joke when Holland kicks off in Amsterdam against Andorra.

10:42 AM – Latvia kicks off in 20 minutes against Slovakia, which means that Portugal will not be able to know if their win will be enough before it’s over.  Speaking of, they and Russia have now gone to the 30-minute mark with no goals.

10:52 AM – Turkey and Ukraine are prepping to kick off now, with the Turks most likely needing a win to keep their World Cup chances alive.  Meanwhile, the Czokes have gone 20 minutes without scoring on Armenia, and Portugal and Russia appear to be headed to a scoreless half.  Meanwhile, Finland will kick off against Macedonia in Helsinki, with the goal of both teams to play for 90 minutes with a 15-minute break.

11:04 AM – Azerbaijan has kicked off against Austria as I begin to think there are a few too many countries in Europe.  I don’t know which is worse: that Europe gets half the World Cup teams, or that they seem to deserve it.  Meanwhile, it’s scoreless in Moscow as the teams eat oranges, and the Czokes remain unable to score on Armenia after half an hour.  We haven’t had a goal in an hour and through 3 or 4 matches; this needs to change.

11:09 AM – Bulgaria kicks off soon against Iceland.  I wonder if this game is fixed, too.  Like Sweden needs any help beating Bulgaria.  Sheesh.  Meanwhile, they’re back on the turf in Moscow with Portugal looking to win and slam the door shut on Russia’s chances of first place.

11:19 AM – They kick off in Bulgaria as Hristo Stoichkov immediately calls for an abandonment before being reminded he’s not the manager for this game.  Meanwhile, Forssell scores to put the Finns up 1-0 as the Czokes will head to halftime without a single goal against Armenia.  Good times!

11:22 AM – Forssell doesn’t take long to double the scoreline as it appears he’s clearly a class above the Macdeonians.  Meanwhile, no one else knows how to score as Portugal and Russia reach the hour mark.

11:24 AM – They’re underway in Kiev as the Ukraine get to hold a celebration of qualification.  Turkey, meanwhile, needs to win to keep up with Greece or tie to force a deadlock.  And this is before Denmark plays today.  Confused yet?

11:27 AM – They’re 20 minutes in between Latvia and Slovakia and I only now noticed.  I think that says more about me than about Latvia, but who knows?

11:34 AM – Norway/Scotland, Malta/Croatia, and Lithuania/Bosnia are all scheduled to kick off soon.  Meanwhile, someone forgot to pack the defense in Sofia, as it’s 2-1 to Iceland within 20 minutes.  Gretar Steinsson and Hermann Hreidarsson opened the scoring for Iceland, but Dmitri Berbatov replied for Bulgaria.  Could those names BE any more ethnic?

11:39 AM – Fifteen minutes to go in Moscow and it looks like a draw as neither side has scored yet.  Bulgaria and Iceland score three times in 20 minutes and no one else in Europe can find the goal with a road map.

11:42 AM – My arms are starting to itch.  It reminds me of a conversation I had last time around with a non-soccer-watching friend:

Me: “I’ve got World Cup Fever, baby!”

Him: “Is there a topical cream for that?”

11:43 AM – Darnit, the Czokes scored.  Marek Heinz puts it in thanks to halftime sub Vladimir Smicer.  Meanwhile in Riga, Slovakia’s Robert Vittek scores a goal and promptly gets a yellow card.  Wonder how that happened…

11:46 AM – Pregame lineups are posted for Faroes/Israel and Belarus/Italy.  There’s a non-zero chance that Italy will slip to second after today’s action.  Here’s hoping.

11:51 AM – Hannu Tihinen puts Finland up 3-0 as Azerbaijan and Austria enter the locker rooms scoreless at halftime.  Meanwhile, Jan Polak and Milan Baros both score as the rout is on in Prague.

11:55 AM – It’s official: scoreless draw between Portugal and Russia.  This moves Portugal to 24 and Russia to 19, but if the result in Latvia holds up, Slovakia gets a lifeline and cuts their deficit to three.

12:00 – Kickoff in Malta as Croatia look to keep atop their group ahead of Sweden.  How has Croatia remained good for so long?  I thought all their players were old.

12:05 PM – They’ve kicked off in Minsk as Berlusconi celebrates with a dive somewhere in Milan.

12:08 PM – Polak scores another one as the Czokes are putting the style on to go up 4-0 on Armenia.  Ukraine and Turkey are scoreless at the half as we await kickoff in Oslo and the Faroes.

12:11 PM – Vitaly Kutuzov ensures a dream start for underdog fans everywhere by putting Belarus up 1-0 in the fourth minute.  The Italians, rightly ticked, come back and put one in thanks to Luca Toni (no relation to Luca Brasi) to tie it at 1-1.  Meanwhile, in Malta, Niko Kranjcar puts the Croats ahead 1-0.  I blink and I miss three goals.  This is more like it.

12:13 PM – Goran Maznov scores.  10 points if you know who he scored for without my telling you.  Okay, it was Macedonia as they get a consolation goal against Finland.

12:17 PM – It’s not all bad news for the Armenians, as Ara Hakobian breaks the shutout and gets his consolation goal to cut the score to 4-1.  Good for him.  Meanwhile, Luca Toni scores again as the Belorussian goalkeeper discovers a horse’s head on the corner flag.  It’s 2-1 Italy and they should be on their way.

12:20 PM – Alexei Eremenko Jr. scores for Finland.  Yes, he’s Finnish.  That makes that game 4-1.  Finland/Macedonia (4:1), Latvia/Slovakia (0:1), and Bulgaria/Iceland (1:2) are all on the hour mark with varying degrees of excitement and goals.  Right now, Portugal and Russia are gathered in one locker room and rooting for Latvia.

12:25 PM – The final whistle blows in Prague as the Czokes win 4-1 and vault back to second in the group.  Meanwhile, Forrrsseellll (that enough double letters?) completes his hat trick to put the Finns up 5-1.

12:28 PM – News flash: a win by Scotland in Norway would put them a mere two points out of the playoffs with two to go.  I bring this up because Kenny Miller opens the scoring again, as the Scots go up 1-0 again as a heavy underdog again.  At this rate, he’ll be St. Kenny by October.

12:36 PM – Georgi Iliev has scored for the Bulgarians to tie it up at 2-2.  Hristo Stoichkov responds by demanding the referee be expelled for not the making the goal count double.  At the same time, St. Kenny Miller doubles it for Scotland, who apparently didn’t get the memo that they were also-rans.  Meanwhile, Juris Laizans scores for Latvia to tie that game up at 1-1 as Portugal and Russia both cheer for very different reasons.

12:38 PM – Liechtenstein and Luxembourg kick off.  Remember: one of these teams will not finish last in their group, and yet Panama will.  Life isn’t fair.

12:42 PM – Remember how Israel had six free points from the Faroes?  Well, they’re 37 minutes in and still scoreless.  Plenty of time, sure, but it might be time to start getting worried.  Meanwhile, Tumer Metin puts the Turks up 1-0 in Kiev against a half-assed Ukrainian team missing (among others) Shevchenko.

12:43 PM – Wait, the referee in that game has the name SARS?  What happens when the forwards double over in a coughing fit?  Is there a vaccine available in the dugouts?

12:52 PM – Mauro German Camoranesi adds one just before half-time as Italy enter the locker room up 3-1 on Belarus.  Meanwhile, the following games all go final… Azerbaijan 0:0 Austria; Latvia 1:1 Slovakia; Finland 5:1 Macedonia; and thanks to a late goal by Martin Petrov, Bulgaria 3:2 Iceland.

12:55 PM – We prepare for kickoffs in Denmark (hosting Georgia), Holland (Andorra), Moldova (Slovenia), and Poland (Wales) as the updated tables show that Denmark needs Ukraine to wake up and give a damn in order to stay alive.

12:57 PM – They’re at halftime in Malta/Croatia (0:1), Norway/Scotland (0:2), and Faroes/Israel (0:0) as the results all seem to be favoring chaos.  Just like I like it.

1:04 PM – Sergej Barbarez opens the account in Lithuania by putting visiting Bosnia up 1-0.  So, to recap, Lithuania is trailing, Latvia settled for a draw at home, Ukraine is losing to Turkey, Azerbaijan couldn’t score at home, Armenia fell 4-1, and Russia played to a scoreless draw in a must-win game.  Not a good day for the motherland.

1:06 PM – Denmark/Georgia kicks off as they’re warming up in Cyprus, where the pressure is on Switzerland to win.

1:13 PM – Time is running out in Kiev for the Ukraine to get an equalizer.  While Ukraine might not care either way, I guarantee Denmark and Greece do.  Meanwhile, Mario Frick scores for Liechtenstein against Luxembourg, which would be amazing because it would mean one of those teams would win.

1:15 PM – Finally, Israel break the deadlock on the foot of someone named Avi Nimni.  Should be all downhill from here as the Group of Death continues to confound.  Denmark, hardly one to take a bad result elsewhere lying down, gets a goal from Claus Jensen to open the match against Georgia.

1:18 PM – No miracle comeback for Ukraine as Turkey picks up the three crucial road points and may be playoff-bound.  Meanwhile, Luca Toni completes his hat-trick as Italy rolls over Belarus 4-1 with half an hour to go.

1:21 PM – We kick off in Moldova and Cyprus, as the visitors in both cases need some points.  Slovenia (at Moldova) would love to catch Norway and stay clear of Scotland.  Switzerland needs to remain unbeaten to stay with everyone else in their group, meanwhile.

1:26 PM – Lineups announced for England v. Northern Ireland, and it looks like Joe Cole is relegated in favor of Michael Owen.  Meanwhile, Maik Taylor is given the unenviable task of being between the sticks for this mismatch.  Of course, he’s coming off a win on Saturday, so who knows?

1:30 PM – Just a thought: given that Scotland’s last two games are against Belarus (dead) and Slovenia (a six-pointer), I’d say that 16 points is not out of the question.  It’s not a guarantee, but it would force Norway to win out.  Either way, I love their chances to spoil someone’s dream of EURO08.

1:32 PM – A potential stunner on the works, as Malta have equalized against Croatia thanks to Stephen Wellman!  Sweden must be loving this!

1:54 PM – Back from a computer crash, so let’s see what I missed:

* Malta hung on to a 1-1 draw with Croatia;

* Israel won 2-0 thanks to a goal from Yaniv Katan;

* Norway got a goal from Ole Martin Aarst, but it was a consolation goal as Scotland hung on 2-1;

* Stathis Aloneftis put in a tying goal for Cyprus as they are 1-1 with Switzerland;

* Sergei Rogachev scores for Moldova to put them 1-0 up on Slovenia as EVERY result is breaking Scotland’s way;

* Christian Poulsen scored for Denmark to put them up 2-0;

* George Demetradze converted a penalty to cut it to 2-1;

* Daniel Agger made it 3-1;

* Italy (4-1) and Bosnia (1-0) obtained road wins;

* Holland still hasn’t scored yet on Andorra, nor has Belgium on San Marino.

2:00 PM – Looks like I picked the wrong time to crash a computer.

2:02 PM – Rafael Van de Vaart and Philip Cocu score back to back as Holland open up a 2-0 lead on Andorra.  I’d say 2-0 is the trickiest lead in soccer, but who’s kidding who here?

2:04 PM – I notice that the Dutch have a bench player named “Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink”.  That must be a real bear to fit on his jersey.  Meanwhile, they’ve kicked off in Dublin, with the winner in the driver’s seat for the automatic spot in the group.

2:10 PM – I am a fan of San Marino for no reason whatsoever.  I hope they hold on for a point against Belgium (it’s 0-0 after 35 minutes), but I’m not optimistic.  And in fact, no sooner do I type this sentence than the next update shows a sending off of a San Marinese defender.  Timmy Simons converts the PK, and it’s 1-0 Belgium and counting.

2:18 PM – It’s getting ugly.  Denmark opens up a 4-1 lead on Georgia as Jon Dahl Tomasson puts it in the net.  Meanwhile, Holland makes it 3-0 over Andorra as Ruud van Nistelrooy scores just before the half.  Cocu got sent off, and to add insult to injury, his goal was changed to an Own Goal.  Koen Daeren and Thomas Buffel both score, and Belgium has opened it to 3-0 on San Marino.  Meanwhile, Fifther scores for Liechtenstein to make it 2-0 as a final over Luxembourg.

2:24 PM – Klemen Lavric scores for Slovenia as they pull even at 1-1 against Moldova.  Scotland/Slovenia on the last day is still a potential playoff qualifier if Norway stumbles, though, no matter what happens.  The official weather forecast for Moldova?  “66 degrees F, Smoke”.  Smoke!  You don’t usually see that outside of LA.

2:31 PM – Wales and Northern Ireland are holding Poland and England scoreless.  I don’t think it’ll last in either case, but there’s always a chance, isn’t there?

2:35 PM – Matej Mavric scores a goal for Slovenia as they appear to have recovered from an early scare to go up 2-1.  For the record, the Soviet Union hasn’t won a single game today in UEFA, and Uzbekistan was forced to replay their 1-0 victory.  The lesson, as always: Capitalism rules.

2:39 PM – Poland and England are both scoreless as they enter the locker rooms.  This can’t last, but enjoy it while you can, although if Wales holding England to 1-0 is any indication, there’s a chance.

2:43 PM – While there’s a break in the action and I wonder why my computer couldn’t have chosen THIS time to crash… wait, better not give it ideas… I have to ask why Spain would choose to play a game at 10PM local time.  Gamesmanship?  The fact that the Serbs will be playing at almost midnight their time?  I can’t imagine that’d work too well.  If there’s another reason, such as wanted to be the last game and the big game, fine.  I don’t know… just seems kind of weird.

2:45 PM – Soren Larsen makes it 5-1 for Denmark as five different people score.  Meanwhile, Thomas Beck of Liechtenstein ends the game with a bonus goal to put the final score at 3-0.

2:48 PM – Absolute goals coming up:

* Soren Larsen doubles up to push the scoreline to 6-1 on 10-man Georgia;

* Mbo Mpenza scores a goal on San Marino, but decides against trading it in to buy a vowel.  Therefore, it remains 4-0;

* Philippe Senderos scores in Cyprus to put the Swiss back in front, 2-1;

* And Maciej Zurawski puts home a penalty to give Poland the 1-0 lead on Wales that may help put the kibosh on England.

2:51 PM – And as soon as I refresh, Kevin Vandenburgh makes it 5-0 to Belgium.  Poor San Marino.  Meanwhile, the final whistle mercifully blows on Denmark, who remain in the hunt for a playoff spot with a thrashing of Georgia.

2:57 PM – I think it goes without saying that France and Ireland are tied at the half.  I’m almost certain that group will end with four teams unbeaten, and therefore France gets the short end of the stick.  And really, I don’t think anyone will complain.

3:04 PM – Koen Daerden gets his second as Belgium continues hammering San Marino 6-0.  I wonder if there’s a mercy rule like in the Little Leagues.  Meanwhile, Daniel Gygax supplies an insurance goal as Switzerland takes a 3-1 lead on Cyprus, conforming to the system of four teams at 4-0-6 when we’re done.  It’s gonna be a blast, really.

3:06 PM – I blink and Belgium scores again.  It’s Mpenza again to make it 7-0.  Okay, guys, stop.  Game’s over.

3:17 PM – “F*cking Windows 2000!  Get Bill Gates in here!”  Now if only I could shoot him in the head with a military-grade handgun.

3:19 PM – Slovenia officially defeat Moldova 2-1, while Switzerland officially defeat Cyprus 3-1.  Oh, and it goes without saying that Belgium scored again.  Daniel Van Buyten makes it 8-0.  You can stop whenever you want, folks.

3:23 PM – Ruud Van Nistelrooy adds one more to bump the Holland score over Andorra to 4-0.  Poland, Holland, and Belgium are within seconds of getting three points, while England is panicking in Belfast…

3:24 PM – …as David Healy scores for the home team to give Northern Ireland a lead!  This would be THE biggest North Irish win in ages.  To quote Scooby-Doo, “Ruh Roh.”

3:26 PM – Poland (1-0) and Belgium (8-0) are official winners now.  England is this close to being screwed, which would be an amazing turn of events and just might allow Holland and USA to sneak into top seeds.

3:28 PM – Raul scores in Madrid to give Spain a 1-0 lead.  It’s the first time Serbia has given up a goal in World Cup qualifying since 2001.  Really.  Meanwhile, those damn French appear like they’ll steal one, with Thierry Henry scoring with 20 minutes to go to put them up 1-0 on Ireland.

3:35 PM – So does Eriksson get fired if he loses, or just if he misses the Cup?

3:42 PM – Just when it looked like Sweden was going to waste a golden opportunity, Zlatan Ibrahimovic (yes, he’s Swedish; no, he probably wasn’t born there) scores deep into injury time to grab all three points from Hungary.  Sweden now are in the driver’s seat in their group, as Croatia looks playoff bound.

3:44 PM – Oh.

3:45 PM – My.

3:46 PM – God.

3:47 PM – As you may have guessed, that was the extremely stunned reaction of all of England as they fall 1-0 to Northern Ireland.  This might be the death knell for England’s hopes of winning the group, and if it is, Poland couldn’t be happier.  Nor could Holland, looking for a protected seed.  Meanwhile, Sweden officially takes the lead from Croatia.

3:50 PM – Although, now that I think about it, England are not dead yet.  They entered two points back with a game in hand.  They’re now five back, but that game is still in hand, and they get Poland at home.  If England wins out against their game in hand and against Poland, they steal the group on the last day.  The odds of this happening seem pretty high, given how your typical World Cup play seems to go.

3:53 PM – And just like that, France break the four-way deadlock with a 1-0 win over Ireland.  Now the French (ptooie) take the driver’s seat and Ireland needs quite a bit of help.  Israel and Switzerland are going to come down to the wire, but one win in either of the last two games by Switzerland knocks out Israel.  Of course, Switzerland ends with Ireland (desperate to get their win back) and France (desperate to win the group).  Bottom line, it’s wide open.

3:56 PM – The one game going on is Spain and Serbia, which is 1-0 to the Spaniards at halftime.  So everyone can now catch their breath.

4:06 PM – The Northern Ireland win over England is so big it’s on Yahoo’s front page.  In the United States.  Now that’s headline-making.

4:10 PM – Germany defeated South Africa 4-2 in a friendly competition.  Man, even when it doesn’t count, South Africa screws it up.  And how about the African qualifying?  There’s a chance of FOUR (!) first-timers: Ivory Coast (Egypt is not a given to lose to Cameroon), Togo (just needs a win), Angola (holds the hammer over Nigeria), and Ghana (needs only a tie).  Add to that that the CONCACAF v. Asia playoff will produce a first-timer, and that Ukraine is in as a first-timer… good year to be a debutante.

4:17 PM – What would be a bigger shock to the playoffs: Scotland or Belgium?  They’re both still mathematically alive.  (The correct answer, of course, is Romania, who needs an utter collapse and a win to make it.  Of course, they’re hoping the Czoke Republic collapse, so maybe they have a chance.)

4:30 PM – Greece and Denmark meet in an elimination match on October 8.  Meanwhile, Italy, Holland, Poland, and Portugal are just one point away from a spot in the Cup.  As you can tell, nothing exciting has happened in Madrid recently.

4:34 PM – Well, that’s more like it!  Things just get interesting in Madrid as Mateja Kezman scores to even things up at 1-1.  If this holds – and it may not – it would result in Serbia holding the hammer.

4:47 PM – Okay, that’ll do it, as Spain can only muster a 1-1 draw against Serbia.  Let’s see where this puts us all around.  A star means they have one game to go; otherwise, they have two.

GROUP 1: Holland 28, Czoke Republic 24, Romania 22*, Finland 16, Macedonia 8*, Andorra 5*, Armenia 4*.

Holland will make it through with a single point against the Czokes or with a win in their other match at home against Macedonia.  The Czokes need two points to eliminate the Romanians, who are the only other team still alive.  The Romanians need a win (at Finland) and two Czoke losses (home to Holland and at Finland) to steal the playoff berth.

GROUP 2: Ukraine 24*, Turkey 20*, Greece 18, Denmark 16, Albania 12, Georgia 9, Kazakhstan 0

Ukraine is in no matter what, since they have the hammer over Greece.  Greece can get into the playoffs with two wins – at Denmark and home to Georgia – and control their own destiny.  Should they stumble even a little, Turkey can claim the spot with a win over Albania.  Greece v. Denmark will be an elimination game.

GROUP 3: Portugal 24, Russia 19, Slovakia 19, Latvia 15*, Estonia 14, Liechtenstein 8*, Luxembourg 0

Portugal will go through with only a tie, as they have the hammer on Russia and Slovakia.  Given that they play Latvia and Liechtenstein at home, that shouldn’t be hard.  Slovakia and Russia meet on the last day, and the winner would likely get into the playoffs.  If the two finish even on points, Slovakia is likely to make the playoffs.  The two teams tied in Russia, and Slovakia has an 8-goal lead in the standings.

GROUP 4: Switzerland 16, France 16, Israel 15*, Ireland 13, Cyprus 4, Faroe Islands 1*

Switzerland and Cyprus finish with France and Ireland, while Israel gets the Faroes in the Middle East.  All signs point to Israel setting the mark of 18 points, so Switzerland needs to beat one or the other of France and Ireland to get the mark.  Ireland must beat both Switzerland and Cyprus, while France need only beat one.  Assuming Cyprus doesn’t shock anyone, France will be ahead of Israel.  If France beats Switzerland as well, they take the automatic bid and each of the three results of Switzerland-Ireland puts someone different in the playoffs.  If Switzerland can upset France, then they and France are both in unless Ireland takes six points.  Of course, this assumes Cyprus goes quietly, which they may not.  My head hurts.

GROUP 5: Italy 17, Norway 12, Slovenia 12, Scotland 10, Belarus 7, Moldova 5

Italy moves on with two points, and given they end with Slovenia and Moldova at home, that’s a pretty safe assumption.  The fun really begins with second place.  If Scotland beats Belarus, then the Slovenia-Scotland game is an elimination game, even if Norway polishes off Moldova and Slovenia shocks Italy.  Meanwhile, Norway will be traveling to Belarus, where a win would move them to the playoffs, but a non-win would open the door for Scotland or Slovenia.  Either way, Italy should be in first.

GROUP 6: Poland 24*, England 19, Austria 12, Northern Ireland 9, Azerbaijan 3*, Wales 2

Both Poland and England hold their destiny in their hands.  England has both games at home, against Austria and Poland.  Poland need only a draw in England to take the automatic bid.  Either way, the other team will go to the playoff – or, perhaps, steal a “power loser” spot.

GROUP 7: Serbia/Montenegro 16, Spain 14, Bosnia 13, Belgium 11, Lithuania 9, San Marino 0

Belgium could still make the playoffs, but at the very least would need to win out – they host Spain and travel to Lithuania.  Serbia holds its own fate in its hands, as six points – at Lithuania and home to Bosnia – will put them in the Cup.  Spain, meanwhile, travels to Belgium and San Marino to finish and will be favored to take at least four point, which would eliminate Belgium and put Bosnia in a position to need to win out – hosting San Marino and traveling to Serbia.  No one is in the clear yet, as it stands.

GROUP 8: Sweden 21, Croatia 20, Hungary 13, Bulgaria 11, Iceland 4*, Malta 2*

With Sweden’s last-second victory, Hungary drops out.  It’s a two-horse race with Sweden and Croatia, and they meet in Zagreb, where Sweden can clinch the Cup spot.  As it stands, both teams are at least playoff bound, and with two of the eight runners-up automatically going through, they could both make Germany with just two matches.

Didn't read any of that, spin on.

I'm really thinking Beckhams contribution was overstated, he got a lot of possession but all he did was play long balls to Owen and Phillips, which lets face it is like basketball with hobbits. He physically couldn't play a ball to feet, which when Lampard and Gerrard got a touch could do, most notably when he played the ball across to Ashley Coles face instead of the more obvious feet. All our pacy players have to stop to bring down his passing before they can break, which fucks us up majorly. Its time for a more sensible experiment, drop him for a game and see what happens. Basing a team around him and playing Owen (or indeed Rooney, the master of linking up in behind the striker) as lone striker is insane.

P.S. 3 months time, Scott Parker will be knock knock knocking on Englands door, levering Jenas out of the side.

I hope Scotland get England if it all goes to the playoffs. We might have a chance of qualifying. I turned the game off at half time because it was so shit. Rooney throwing a fit just doesn't entertain me. Unless he's headbutting someone.

For the second time, we'll automatically qualify if we come second, being the highest second placed team.

I'd take Beckham over any midfield player England have. I honestly hate how much stick he gets. Nearly everytime I watch England he's there working his ass off, and sure he might not always pull something amazing out the bag, but he's there battling for England. I've NEVER worked out why people bash him so much when for years upon years he's always done his best for England. People maybe don't think that's enough, but in my book Beckham has rightfuly earned his place in the team and when England do seem to lose, it's always him who is usually shat on.

Oh and the way Rooney plays is so fucking awesome to watch. Everytime he plays for England he's determind to win and when he starts going in with super tackles I just find it a joy to watch. While I just went on a rant about Becks, I certainly rate Rooney as the most important player on the English team. Maybe a bit biased, because most players are important, but for me Rooney can seem to just work miracles :wub:

Italy winning 4-1 was nice to hear about too. Toni hat trick I heard, which brings me to another point. Lippi was a cock last week for putting Iaquinta up there with Vieri instead of playing Toni at the start. Tonight has clearly proven that.

Edited by JohnnyPerfect

Getter the petition started:

Sorry Eriksson won't resign after England defeat

By Trevor Huggins

BELFAST, Sept 7 (Reuters) - Sven-Goran Eriksson apologised for England's humiliating 1-0 defeat by Northern Ireland on Wednesday and said he would not resign as manager.

England's first loss in Belfast since 1927, to a team more than 100 places below them in the world rankings, dealt a body-blow to their hopes of reaching the World Cup finals as Group Six winners.

"Of course, I'm very sorry, disappointed... as the players are. Sorry for the team, sorry for the three points we lost, sorry for the fans who paid a lot of money to travel here," Eriksson told a news conference.

"They want to see us play better football and to win, of course."

Asked for his reaction to reports that England fans at the ground were calling for his sacking, he said: "It's understandable, if you lose against Northern Ireland. I can't argue with that.

"I'm not going to resign. I'm going to make it right in October. Win two games and we are qualified.

"It's still in our hands."

England face Austria on October 8 and Poland four days later in two games at Old Trafford.

Eriksson accepted it was his worst experience as England manager, saying: "I think so, because it's a qualification game and we shouldn't lose here or even draw, we should win games like this."

HOSTILE REACTION

Reaction to England's defeat in a 4-3-3 formation is likely to be hostile, coming just four days after an equally unfamiliar and unconvincing 4-5-1 line-up delivered a 1-0 win over Wales.

"I don't think organisation or formation was the problem today," he said. "Almost all the players on the pitch played in position they do in their clubs... it can't be that reason.

"The result went very wrong. For 35 minutes we played exactly how we wanted, a lot of patience, we controlled the game, we created some half-chances.

"After that, we lost our patience, the spirit and we didn't find it at halftime or in the second half. That's why we lost the game."

The past week's frustrations also come after England lost a friendly in Denmark 4-1 last month.

"The attitude was better today than it was second-half in Denmark that's for sure but the result was worse. It's much, much worse to lose a qualification game 1-0 than a friendly 4-1."

Eriksson said he considered taking Wayne Rooney off at hafltime after the striker picked a yellow card that will rule him out of the game against Austria, but opted not to.

It's not lost on us....but we lost to Northern Ireland, a team who won thier first competitive match in a number of years last Saturday against Azerbaijan.....a team who had players in the 3rd and 4th leagues of English football.....and after several ropey results, maybe it is time for him to go?

For the second time, we'll automatically qualify if we come second, being the highest second placed team.

Yes Beckham did work hard in being pulled out of position and being somewhere we didn’t want him to be and since moving to Madrid his work rate has dropped considerably. Right-sided midfielder attributes should include pace, going past people, not works hard. A lot of players can work hard and run all day but it doesn't make them a great attacking force, which is what we play Beckham for, not his defensive abilities.

Yes Beckham did work hard in being pulled out of position and being somewhere we didn’t want him to be and since moving to Madrid his work rate has dropped considerably. Right-sided midfielder attributes should include pace, going past people, not works hard. A lot of players can work hard and run all day but it doesn't make them a great attacking force, which is what we play Beckham for, not his defensive abilities.

Lampard and Gerrard are better players in the middle than Beckham. And even if we dropped one, it still leaves us with the problem we have now; who holds? Beckham, no matter what you say about working hard, can't tackle. If you make Gerrard or Lampard hold then, again, it's the same problem - you're taking away 70% of their game.

I wish he'd do what you described for England, but unfortunately he hasn't had a decent game for us (when the formation hasn't been built for him) since Greece.

Would you play better currently in a position you were put about 5 times a year, or in a position you played 40 games a year?

Would you play better currently in a position you were put about 5 times a year, or in a position you played 40 games a year?

And you must have never seen a Madri game to say that. When Beckham moved to Spain was when i first found out what a hard working player he is. While for years i was one that thought Beckham was a overrated player (still think some people overrate him but most underrate him nowadays), i can't deny he works hard every game to guarantee a spot in the starting line of that team. He runs after every ball and then builds plays from behind. He's probably one of the least spectacular players with the ball in the team but he does a great job as an anchor back.

If you think England's tactic shouldn't have a player in that position is another thing...but remember the position he usually plays doesn't require him to have pace or go past people.

Lampard and Gerrard are better players in the middle than Beckham.  And even if we dropped one, it still leaves us with the problem we have now; who holds?  Beckham, no matter what you say about working hard, can't tackle.  If you make Gerrard or Lampard hold then, again, it's the same problem - you're taking away 70% of their game.

I wish he'd do what you described for England, but unfortunately he hasn't had a decent game for us (when the formation hasn't been built for him) since Greece.

He played on the right for most of his Man Utd career, and you don't forget how to play in a certain position. It's like riding a bike. And even then, his delivery is absolutely terrible. England had six, seven corners last night and most of those went straight to an Irish player.

Beckham showed he had a good range of passing, fine. But at the cost of our ability to do anything with those passes. Owen can't play as a lone striker. Rooney was stuck out on the left, when he should've been just behind Owen. The only place for Beckham in the England team is on the right - and if he can't play there, maybe we need to start looking at other options (just not in fucking world cup qualifiers).

but remember the position he usually plays doesn't require him to have pace or go past people.
Edited by JohnnyPerfect

Well, thought I'd leave replying until today because if I posted last night I'd have slated pretty much every player on the pitch. Mind you, I'm gonna do that now anyway, so...

Yeah, David Beckham was easily the best player on the pitch but fuck me that's really not hard when Sven's gone out and thought "hmm, let's make a formation just for you David!" It's clear that Sven wants to build the team around David Beckham (and to some extent Michael Owen), and I could pretty much guarantee that bar serious injury or suspension, Beckham will play every single England game for the rest of Sven's reign. Whether it's just that Sven has a hard-on for Beckham or it's because of the merchandise his name alone will sell, who knows, but he needs to be dropped or at least stripped of the captaincy.

I think it's clear to see to almost anyone that Beckham is not as good as he was. Hell, he was never amazing in my opinion. Yeah he's still committed to the cause, but is it just me or does he look bored on the pitch most of the time? He can't defend, and he is not a central midfielder, and the sooner he and Sven realise this the better. If he insists on continuing to play him, stick him on the right-wing or nowhere at all. Central midfield should be between any two of Lampard, Gerrard or Carrick. Nobody else should play there in a competitive match. Beckham's strength's are his passion and his crossing, so play to them and play him on the right. That said, he's not fast enough or it seems skillful enough to get past even the average player anymore.

One thing that Beckham said after the game last night that really pissed me off was the "we've got a great team". No, no we don't; we have a great SQUAD that Sven doesn't know how to use. We have got the best crop of players that we've had for years, but somehow Sven still manages to fuck it up.