The EWB Band 100 Results

Jook

This list is actually turning out to be quite decent. I love the placement of Blur and definitely think that 21 is a respectable place for them to be at.

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, for those looking to listen to the band for the first time, here's some essential Pillows in terms of songs...

- "Ride on Shooting Star" (bar none their most famous song, the FLCL end theme)

- "Last Dinosaur"

- "Instant Music"

- "I Think I Can"

- "Thank You, My Twilight"

- "Strange Chameleon"

- "Subhuman"

- "Good Morning Good News"

- "Juliet"

And that's, as far as I'm concerned, pretty much just scratching the surface.

It's very fun, catchy rock, though Sawao Yamanaka's voice might be a wee bit of an acquired taste.

Edited by GoGo Yubari

Beach Boys, Clash, Pixies and Blur are all great.

Jamiroquai are pretty good....A few songs are classic. "Feels just like it should", "Virtual insanity" plus a whole host of other decent stuff...They just sometimes fall down on some "by the numbers album filler" stuff....Their singles releases are always strong.

FLCL is a big thing in North America as far as Anime goes. A lot of the anime kids at schools are really into it.

My friend has a couple sets of dvds, and makes us watch them sometimes. Occasionally, they're humorous, but being a non-anime fan, I'm not really into the series.

20th: Nine Inch Nails NEW ENTRY

nin_logo.png

19th: The Who UP 42

The-Who-tshirt.jpg

18th: Coldplay UP 18

xy.jpg

17th: Guns N Roses UP 55

guns-n-roses-logo-5200119.jpg

16th: Gorillaz HIGHEST NEW ENTRY

TCTAgainLogo.jpg

So far...

16. Gorillaz

17. Guns N Roses

18. Coldplay

19. The Who

20. Nine Inch Nails

21. Blur

22. The Mars Volta

23. The Pillows

24. The Killers

25. The Offspring

26. Pixies

27. The Matthew Good Band

28. The Smiths

29. Soundgarden

30. AC/DC

31. Franz Ferdinand

32. Iron Maiden

33. The Clash

34. Audioslave

35. Smashing Pumpkins

36. Queens of the Stone Age

37. Tool

38. Blink 182

39. Bob Dylan

40. Alice In Chains

41. Jeff Buckley

42. The Rolling Stones

43. Garbage

44. The White Stripes

45. The Beach Boys

46. Pearl Jam

47. Feeder

48. Fall Out Boy

49. Slipknot

50. The Libertines

51. Frank Sinatra

52. Joy Division

53. Megadeth

54. The Darkness

55. Beastie Boys

56. Aphex Twin

57. Jimi Hendrix

58. Razorlight

59. The Verve

60. David Bowie

61. Black Sabbath

62. Kanye West

63. Beck

64. Kraftwerk

65. Massive Attack

66. Marilyn Manson

67. The Doors

68. Bjork

69. The Cure

70. U2

71. My Chemical Romance

72. The Kinks

73. Janes Addiction

74. Alkaline Trio

75. The Sex Pistols

76. cKy

77. Slayer

78. At The Drive-In

79. Weezer

80. The Velvet Underground

81. Aerosmith

82. Sonic Youth

83. Pantera

84. Interpol

85. DJ Shadow

86. PJ Harvey

87. Kasabian

88. Kaiser Cheifs

89. Eels

90. Blondie

91. New Found Glory

92. Bloc Party

93. T Rex

94. Nine Black Alps

95. Pavement

96. Incubus

97. The Manic Street Preachers

98. The Strokes

99. Goldfrapp

100. Ash

Beach Boys, Clash, Pixies and Blur are all great.

Jamiroquai are pretty good....A few songs are classic. "Feels just like it should", "Virtual insanity" plus a whole host of other decent stuff...They just sometimes fall down on some "by the numbers album filler" stuff....Their singles releases are always strong.

For the most part I believe that "Dynamite" has detered away from the fillers songs. There's so many songs on there that could potentially be released as a single, unlike any Jamiroquai album to date. Personally it's my favourite album, whilst the better songs aren't for the most part up to the standard of the better songs on "Travelling Without Moving" (Virtual Insanity, Alright, Use The Force, Cosmic Girl...) there's less filler. As cool as a 3 minute didjaridoo song is, it just takes away a lot from an awesome album. However it's supposed to be badass at the live shows.

And if you don't mind me asking, what's FLCL?

FLCL (short for "Furi Kuri" or "Fooly Cooly") is a Japanese animation series that has just six episodes but has a cult fanbase anyway. It could be described best as "offbeat slightly non-sequitur humor" as the plot doesn't make sense unless you focus really hard on making sense of the plot, so people generally watch it for the fun dialogue, weird humor, and the excellent soundtrack which was contributed by The Pillows (lead singer Sawao Yamanaka in particular, who, I believe, came up with the background music that didn't actually count as Pillows songs as well).

I think it's still on Adult Swim on Saturday nights.

And damn. I was hoping that Gorillaz would be in the top ten. That disappoints me.

Edited by GoGo Yubari

Good to see NIN in the top 20. Apart from that I'm not a huge fan of the other bands. Gorillaz are good, but their overhyped. I hate GnR with a passion. I liked the first Coldplay album, I've not been impressed with the latest two. And the Who are alright, again overhyped.

Upset the Who are so low, as they should be in the top 5 in my opinion, but I think they're the greatest ever so...but I'll accept that. Great music and one of the (if not the biggest) influences on modern bands.

Upset the Who are so low, as they should be in the top 5 in my opinion, but I think they're the greatest ever so...but I'll accept that. Great music and one of the (if not the biggest) influences on modern bands.

Not wanting to sound like a cock....but seriously? I doubt it, to be honest.