Career Cut Short

Guest Booker T & The MG's

Guest Booker T & The MG's

I was just reading something about Rangers footballer Michael Mols, who was one of the most talented footballers I'd ever seen until he snapped his ligaments, when he came back he was never the same.

So who is the sports star (it can be any sport) who had the potential to be world class, but there career was cut short by injury and they either retired, or returned a shell of there former self.

Paul Gascoigne . Without a doubt one of Englands greatest talents , he broke his leg in a game against Forrest in the FA Cup Final and he was never the same .

You mean when he made a horrendous tackle on the Notts F player? (I've never actually seen that match, just mainly clips of Gazza laying there injured).

On a smaller scale, Sheffield United's had two in the last 10 years or so. The first is Dane Whitehouse. A damned good left winger that formed an integral part of the side. Has taken years to recoved from his loss. **curses Gareth Ainsworth**

The other is Simon Tracey, who was on the verge of and England call up (squad player that is, not necassarily #1), when we were in the top flight. He then broke his leg. Bummer. He never quite played as well since.

Sandy Koufax, pitcher for the Dodgers.

Awards

1963-NL-Babe Ruth Award

1963-ML-CYA

1963-Major League Player of the Year

1963-NL-MVP

1963-NL-Triple Crown

1963-NL-TSN Pitcher of the Year

1963-ML-WS MVP

1964-NL-TSN Pitcher of the Year

1965-NL-Babe Ruth Award

1965-ML-CYA

1965-Major League Player of the Year

1965-NL-Triple Crown

1965-NL-TSN Pitcher of the Year

1965-ML-WS MVP

1966-ML-CYA

1966-Hutch Award

1966-NL-Triple Crown

1966-NL-TSN Pitcher of the Year

Those were just his last 4 years where he was a mind boggling 97-27 with 1,228 strikeouts as well. He retired at 30 years old after having led the league in ERA 5 years running, and would have easily won 300 games and struck out 3,500-4,000 batters. I don't think there's anyone else in baseball's Hall of Fame who only pitched regularly as a starter for 9 years which goes to show you just how dominant he was.

The first name that sprung into my mind was Tony Conigliaro (sp.?). He was the one that got beaned in the head by a pitch, got his eyesight and other things fucked up, came back for a little while and wasn't the same, then retired young.

Probably not a major player, but that's the big one for Boston sports outside Orr. Perhaps Tedy Bruschi might be on this list, depending on how this comeback works out.

I believe his name was Anthony Thomas, offensive rookie of the year a few years back for the Pats. Busted up his knee in like a sand football promotion or something and that was that.

That was actually Robert Edwards, Anthony Thomas was also Offensive Rookie of the Year, but it was for the Chicago Bears, and I agree with you he was really really good that year. He came back but was NOWHERE near what he once was.

Curtis Enos. Penn State runningback. Got drafted by the Bears. I don't think he even got to play a game but he was great in college. That one just really sticks with me.

He played three years for the Bears and almost broke 1000 yards in season 2. I never expected even that much out of him, especially when his own coach, Joe Paterno, called him a conman.

Not sure if this qualifies as an injury, but certainly Hank Gathers has to be looked at or even Len Bias as both were highly regarded as future stars.

There are many (And being that I live in Maryland, pretty much everyone) who think Bias could've been as good, if not better, than Jordan.

Edited by damshow