Movies With Surprising Endings...

paidelr

Movies like The Sixth Sense are good once. Once you know what the hap is, it really loses a lot of it's luster. You need to look for a movie with depth... Seven is a good choice becase it has so many layers (though I think it's somewhat overrated). But The Usual Suspects is just so fucking awesome it cannot be missed.

Such as the scene where Kint audibly tells the detective "I killed Keaton," something that the detective misses because he is mid rant. I didn't catch it the first time and when I saw it on IMDB said to myself "Whaaaaaaaaaaaat?", but it's shit like that that stands up to repeated viewings. There is always something you didn't notice before... the clues falling into place piecemeal, building to something that caught you offgaurd the first time. Very masterful stuff.

If you want to see the most horrible ending to a movie ever, rent American History X. I was fucking pissed when that movie ended. You can't end a fucking movie like that. IT DIDN'T FUCKING HAPPEN LIKE THAT. SISKO COULD HAVE SAVED HIM! IT COULDN'T GO DOWN LIKE THAT.

Anyway, yeah.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just after Hamster started up Fight Club in the Cube I decided it was time to watch it and even though I knew it was coming the twist at the end still had me in shock. Plus did anyone catch the last litttle hint they threw in just before the credits. Watch the last 20 seconds before the credits in slowmo and you'll see what I mean

One of Pitt's jobs is as a projectionalist and his greatest art is throwing a picture of a cock in the bit where the slides croosover. Hence why there is a picture of a cock in it.

Just after Hamster started up Fight Club in the Cube I decided it was time to watch it and even though I knew it was coming the twist at the end still had me in shock. Plus did anyone catch the last litttle hint they threw in just before the credits. Watch the last 20 seconds before the credits in slowmo and you'll see what I mean

One of Pitt's jobs is as a projectionalist and his greatest art is throwing a picture of a cock in the bit where the slides croosover. Hence why there is a picture of a cock in it.

There is actually a large group of hints in the film itself, but you wouldn't understand them until you watch the film back, that's the makings of a great twist IMO, when it's right in your face and yet you still don't even think to guess it.

I liked the Village actually....It didn't get panned here in the UK as much as it did in the US.

I also like the surprising endings in:

Fight Club

Memento

American Psycho

Arlington Road (though it left me sad :()

Zatoichi (swerve! Or was it?!)

So I'm in that mood after watching my SAW DVD again and then seeing SAW2 so I have this question:

I'm looking for good movies (Horror or Action) with surprising and GREAT endings. Preferrably recent (As in 2001+) and ones that are out on DVD for me to buy.

Saw = Good Ending

The Village = Shitty

I also saw OldBoy with the English subtitles and I LOVED that movie. I can't wait for the American remake. Thanks.

An American remake of Oldboy?!

Ack that would actually be the WORST THING EVER!

US remakes pretty much all ruin the original films. I can't emphasise that enough.

Oldboy was magnificent, as much for it's subtleties and acting performances as the script, filming and action.

For a start in a US film there's no way a live octopus would be eaten <_<

Bollocks, my spoiler tags are fucking up. I'll re-edit my reply later.

Plus, the Village was a nice idea, shit execution. I remember apologisin profusely to my date for taking her along to see the film. I just didn't care for anyone in the film, or what happened, by the end.

Edited by Liam

I liked the Village actually....It didn't get panned here in the UK as much as it did in the US.

I also like the surprising endings in:

Fight Club

Memento

American Psycho

Arlington Road (though it left me sad :()

Zatoichi (swerve! Or was it?!)

So I'm in that mood after watching my SAW DVD again and then seeing SAW2 so I have this question:

I'm looking for good movies (Horror or Action) with surprising and GREAT endings. Preferrably recent (As in 2001+) and ones that are out on DVD for me to buy.

Saw = Good Ending

The Village = Shitty

I also saw OldBoy with the English subtitles and I LOVED that movie. I can't wait for the American remake. Thanks.

An American remake of Oldboy?!

Ack that would actually be the WORST THING EVER!

US remakes pretty much all ruin the original films. I can't emphasise that enough.

Oldboy was magnificent, as much for it's subtleties and acting performances as the script, filming and action.

For a start in a US film there's no way a live octopus would be eaten <_<

I didn't understand Zatoichi's ending :(. Anyone care to explain?

I didn't understand it either, but no way am I telling Hamster that >_>

Also watch Training Day. It's not an astoundingly good twist, but it's got Pacino (Y).

Pacino? Really? I can't remember him in it. Are we talking about the same film, Denzel Washington and Ethan Hawke? :unsure:

There's two schools of thought about Zatoichi's ending, which I shall have to put into spoilers.

1. Zatoichi isn't blind. WHen he opens his shiny eyes and kills the big don it's all swervey etc, but when he trips over the stone at the end it tells us that "even with his eyes open he can't see" as in a vague comedy ending about clumsiness.

2. Zatoichi can't see. Just cos he's got eyes doesn't mean he can see. So it's a double-swerve. He tells the don he can see but actually can't see at all, even with his eyes open!

I tend to go along with the second one, but if you check IMDB.com they talk about subtitle translations which differ.

But about other ending stuff, the old guy in the bar is the head of the gang, he got a younger guy to pretend to be boss to cover his trail. Only someone with stronger senses of smell such as Zatoichi would be able to pick him out.

The dance sequence doesn't need explaining! It's a celebration but it's great even taken out of context!

I didn't understand Zatoichi's ending :(. Anyone care to explain?

I didn't understand it either, but no way am I telling Hamster that >_>

Also watch Training Day. It's not an astoundingly good twist, but it's got Pacino (Y).

Pacino? Really? I can't remember him in it. Are we talking about the same film, Denzel Washington and Ethan Hawke? :unsure:

I'm pretty sure he is thinking of another film with Pacino...and I believe Colin Farell

*Checks imdb*

The Recruit

I think thats what he means.

Edited by Liam

If you want to see the most horrible ending to a movie ever, rent American History X. I was fucking pissed when that movie ended. You can't end a fucking movie like that. IT DIDN'T FUCKING HAPPEN LIKE THAT. SISKO COULD HAVE SAVED HIM! IT COULDN'T GO DOWN LIKE THAT.

Anyway, yeah.

Thats one of my favorite fucking movies, but I too was pissed about the end. Totally fucked.

Anyway, yeah.

Thats one of my favorite fucking movies, but I too was pissed about the end. Totally fucked.

It's one of my personal favourite movies of all time as well, but the first time I watched it I was legitimately super pissed that the movie ended like that.

That was really the only way they could go, though, so you can't really hold it against them.

If you like Saw I would recomend Cube, Battle Royale, and Ravenous.

Cube is almost 10 years old but was one of the first "figure out the puzzle or be killed" kinda movie. very good

Battle Royale is a Japanese movie about a 9th grade class taken to a derserted island and forced to kill eachother untill there is only 1 left.

Ravenous is a movie about cannibalism, another great suspense film with a kill or be killed plot.

none of these have a twist ending but they all have that familar "killing game" plot like Saw.

Anyway, yeah.

It's one of my personal favourite movies of all time as well, but the first time I watched it I was legitimately super pissed that the movie ended like that.

That was really the only way they could go, though, so you can't really hold it against them.

Yeah, a happy smiley, 'I Have a Dream' ending wouldn't have worked.