World of Warcraft

Your Mom

3 hours ago, The Young & The Forkless said:

Hey @Cloud Was A Racecar Driver You probably know this. Can I not get the Allied Races until BforA drops?

You can't get the Mag'har Orcs or the Dark Iron Dwarves until BFA, but if you have it pre-ordered and you have the appropriate achievements / pre-reqs, you can get Void Elves and Nightborne. 

2 minutes ago, Cloud Was A Racecar Driver said:

You can't get the Mag'har Orcs or the Dark Iron Dwarves until BFA, but if you have it pre-ordered and you have the appropriate achievements / pre-reqs, you can get Void Elves and Nightborne. 

Yeah I realized afterwards that I had to do the short intro quest to them. So I'm about 10 minutes from getting the Nightbourne. Then I think I'm going to go after the High Mountain Tauren since it'll be a bit before I'm able to get my Alliance toon up to 110 to unlock Void Elves.

• Like 1

Boy, that quest today.

Spoiler

Some bullshit bad writing. What's Sylvanas' motivation? A night elf said some meanie words to her? And why is Saurfang seemingly totally cool with it? He just had Horde members rescuing Night Elf civilians because he won't slaughter innocents, but when Sylvanas burns the World Tree she's committing mass murder of innocents. And Saurfang, the "honorable Orc", just stands there and watches. Da fuq?

10 minutes ago, Cloud Was A Racecar Driver said:

Boy, that quest today.

Hide contents

Some bullshit bad writing. What's Sylvanas' motivation? A night elf said some meanie words to her? And why is Saurfang seemingly totally cool with it? He just had Horde members rescuing Night Elf civilians because he won't slaughter innocents, but when Sylvanas burns the World Tree she's committing mass murder of innocents. And Saurfang, the "honorable Orc", just stands there and watches. Da fuq?

Spoiler

From what I've read from others, since I'm not as up on the story as I wish I was, Blizzard has never been great at telling this story anyway. I assume the Saurfang stuff with come back later, as well as Sylvana's motivation though I'm not sure it's going to be anything past her being just evil which I'm okay with honestly. I've always seen The Horde as being the bad guys so I'm not sure why anyone is actually surprised by this move. There are a lot of people on Wowhead that want there to be more shades of gray but eventually, that's just not going to happen. It's always come down to Alliance vs Horde, or at least has been boiling down to. They put their differences aside for a common enemy in The Legion but now that they're gone, we're back to square one.

The quest itself was way too short and just an excuse to drag it out. They could have let us finish it last week honestly, or waited till this week to unveil the whole thing.

I guess that's the difference between newer and older players. I've played since vanilla and back then, the Horde was this honorable band of misfits who didn't fit in anywhere else. Tensions were there with the Alliance based on conflicts with the prior Horde, but this? This is just cartoon supervillainy.

2 hours ago, Cloud Was A Racecar Driver said:

I guess that's the difference between newer and older players. I've played since vanilla and back then, the Horde was this honorable band of misfits who didn't fit in anywhere else. Tensions were there with the Alliance based on conflicts with the prior Horde, but this? This is just cartoon supervillainy.

Yeah, I see a lot of people on Wowhead unhappy about it. Me, I enjoy it. I love the ruthless being that she's becoming. She's just pissed at the world for the way she ended up and she's okay with destroying everything in her path to get it done. I mentioned to my buddy this morning at work that I feel like she'll meet her demise at the end of this expansion or somewhere in the next one. Eventually she will get what's coming to her but for now I just enjoy her being her. There's no grey morality. She's just plain evil. We'll see who remains on her side or who does her in the end. I assume someone from the Horde will ultimately be the one to take her out.

Hey @Cloud Was A Racecar Driver

http://www.wowhead.com/news=286021/story-of-the-burning-of-teldrassil-elegy-and-a-good-war-with-nobbel87

This might give you a bit more insight into the whole war thing. I haven't read it all so I can't comment yet on whether it gives Sylvannas any actual motivation beyond "Evil!"

Yeah, I read that. I think a lot of my problem is that stuff should have been in-game, not in secondary and tertiary books. It strikes me as such ass-backwards storytelling to tell only part of the story in your main medium - World of Warcraft - and then tell the rest in books and tie-ins. I mean, why?

Spoiler

My biggest problem, for example, was Saurfang not saying anything at all during the Warbringers cinematic about the burning of Teldrassil. One minute he's evacuating night elf civilians, the next he looks like he's totally cool with this dishonorable act. But it turns out, you have to read the Collector's Edition novellas to get the full story. That, to me, is shitty storytelling. 

Speaking of Saurfang..

I don't know if you've ever seen the Wrathgate cinematic (being a new player and all), but at the time of its release (2008, jesus fuck) it was something to behold. It was an amazing cinematic that was beautifully rendered and told such a good story.

And then Blizzard goes and does this.

And blows all their other cinematics away. "Old Soldier" is fucking fantastic. 

Yeah I whole heartedly agree with the fact that the storytelling should be in game. I should not need to go outside the source to find the rest of the story. However I have to do that a lot anyway because I am such a new player that I find myself reading wow wiki a lot just to get some of the backstory that I’ve missed. I’ve never read a WOW book though and probably never will.

I never did see the Wrathgate video but Old Soldier was definitely great. I hope they do more stuff like that because it seems to get people hyped for this xpac when they weren’t really getting there before.

19 hours ago, Cloud Was A Racecar Driver said:

Yeah, I read that. I think a lot of my problem is that stuff should have been in-game, not in secondary and tertiary books. It strikes me as such ass-backwards storytelling to tell only part of the story in your main medium - World of Warcraft - and then tell the rest in books and tie-ins. I mean, why?

Reveal hidden contents

Speaking of Saurfang..

I don't know if you've ever seen the Wrathgate cinematic (being a new player and all), but at the time of its release (2008, jesus fuck) it was something to behold. It was an amazing cinematic that was beautifully rendered and told such a good story.

And then Blizzard goes and does this.

And blows all their other cinematics away. "Old Soldier" is fucking fantastic. 

I dislike WoW, and that was pretty cool. They should do a TV show like that. I'd watch.

Well that was....pretty cool. I agree with a lot of people who ask the question "Why would we go along with it" but overall I enjoyed that sadistic side of Sylvannas. It's going to lead to her meeting her demise. They're not exactly subtle with that but it's going to be fun to watch that descent.

" Honor means nothing to a corpse, Saurfang. You have the luxury of underestimating death, but it is something with which I am intimately familiar. Maybe you don't care if your people die so long as it is honorable. But to me, this Horde is worth saving. Anyone who disagrees does not deserve to stand among us. So die your warrior's death, High Overlord Saurfang. It means little to me. Perhaps I will raise your broken body to serve me once more. Or perhaps you will have a chance to say hello to your son. "

One of my favourite little speeches so far.

We are a little over 24 hours away from the new expansion dropping. I actually have Wednesday off which will give me lots of time to really get into it providing we have a smooth launch. The pre patch stuff worries me a bit since it wasn’t as smootj as they hoped but I’m gonna have faith that the bugs have been worked out.

I was hoping to finish Tomb of Sargeras and Antorus The Burning Throne this weekend but some family stuff kept me from doing that so looks like that’ll be content I’ll have to wait on to finish.

I'm so ready. I just hit 110 on my hunter, gonna level my warrior first in BFA, then probably my hunter or my rogue as the first alts I level. But that's looking months down the line. In the immediate, warrior 100%.

2 minutes ago, High Overlord Cloudfang said:

I'm so ready. I just hit 110 on my hunter, gonna level my warrior first in BFA, then probably my hunter or my rogue as the first alts I level. But that's looking months down the line. In the immediate, warrior 100%.

My hunter will always be my main now. I did actually grab that 210 iLevel gear which really fucked with my mastery but I’m hoping that the Heart Of Azeroth necklace takes care of bringing that back up. 

As far as Alliance, I’ve spent the most time on my paladin so far but I’m not sure I’m feeling it enough to continue with it. As I’ve said before, I like the long range combat the best so I might switch over to my Mage or I might just suck it up and continue my paladin. I enjoy the human story so I’d like to just continue him for the story portion. 

I really want to take advantage of all that BfA has to offer since I never really did that with anything before that as I came in really at the tail end of legion and boosted to 110 rather than leveling. I feel like I missed a lot by doing that.