New Metallica

ravenjuice

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reload on the other hand...

Oh, come on now! ReLoad was pretty good! Unforgiven II, Low Man's Lyric, Fixxxer, Devil's Dance...the only song I don't like on that CD is Fuel, only because I've heard it way too much.

Oh I like Reload, but there's a lot of filler on there, as opposed to Load, which I think is a CD without one bad song on it.

My main point against Load and ReLoad isn't that they're bad stand-alone albums, it's that they were recorded by the same band that put out Ride The Lightning, Justice, and Master of Puppets, which are vastly superior from a metal standpoint... and correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that's the general consensus of most Metallica fans.

I don't believe Load and ReLoad are good albums regardless of who recorded them (Load was mediocre, ReLoad was just dire), but it was a case of Metallica backing themselves into a corner. When you give yourselves a name that just screams "we're heavy metal!", and then go and record a country ballad, a large part of your fanbase is going to shit all over it.

As much as I like it, I was digging it so much more before Hetfield's vocals kicked in. I'm definately a Metallica fan, but no matter how much I try to make myself dig Hetfield's vocals, I can't do it. I'll just hope they turn out better on CD, because the song does seem to be pretty quality.

My main point against Load and ReLoad isn't that they're bad stand-alone albums, it's that they were recorded by the same band that put out Ride The Lightning, Justice, and Master of Puppets, which are vastly superior from a metal standpoint... and correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that's the general consensus of most Metallica fans.

And they did something different... Metallica could continue to put out the same album over and over, but then they become AC/DC. There are a lot of metal songs on Load and Reload, but at the end of the day, what we're talking about is all just rock music. They felt it was time for a change, it fit the musical scene at the time and the albums still stand the test to this day.

I may be in the minority of this, but I don't think the new song is that good. Perhaps I should've listened to longer but I just don't think that it sounded that good at all.

Oh and by the way, the new Slayer is hardly something Avenged Sevenfold would come out with. You may have been exaggerating a bit with that comment, but honestly? Slayer, on a bad day, will always out-do anything Avenged Sevenfold and this is coming from a guy who's not that big of a Slayer fan.

And for the record, the best album put out by Metallica after the Black Album is by far Garage Inc.

Edited by Livid

Yeah I was slightly exaggerating, mainly due to having just heard it and being majorly dissapointed. I've had a few more listens since then, and the chorus has grown on me, but other than that, I still think its naff, which is a shame, because I fucking love Slayer.

And the new song sounded immense live, although I do think perhaps it has St.Anger syndrome in being too long :/ At least Kirk has his solo's back.

Lars apologised for St Anger the other night >_<

Ugh. This phase of their career makes me dislike Metallica even more than St. Anger did. After how much they went on about how St. Anger was the natural progression of their music, going back to their roots, playing what they really wanted to play, and really where they were at as a band, people didn't like it, and they just say "Oh, well, yeah, sorry about that. We'll play Master Of Puppets for you now."

I'm never going to complain that they chose to play us Master of Puppets over St Anger.

I don't really like either, I'd rather hear Master Of Puppets, it's more just a loss of respect for them. It's like "this is us, this is the new Metallica, this is what we want to be. Oh, people don't like the new Metallica. Never mind, here's the old Metallica."

Lars didnt apologise for St. Anger. He apologised for 2 years ago where he missed their set at Download and Dave Lombardo and Joey Jordison filled in for him. When Metallica talk about St.Anger they say they needed to make the album to get the anger out, but don't feature songs in current set lists because they dont fit in.

And I do realise that thats them trying to disguise the fact that they know it's shit, but either way, they havent publicly criticised the album.

Yeah, but loads of bands do that. What may appear to them to be a natural progression, in hindsight, is shit, and the band can see that, and are often vocal about where they think they went wrong in the past.

Doesn't make it right, but it doesn't bother me really.

Guest JoeJurevicius83

I liked St. Anger. Was it Metallica's best? Not even close. Should we expect better things from them? Most likely. But it was a good album, nonetheless. If it was put out by someone else, it wouldn't have gotten all the complaints that it did.