The Comic Book Thread (spoilers)

Your Mom

Don't get me wrong, HttK, I'm loving SSM so far, I was just thinking that maybe it's that tendency to rely on villainous/not-so-heroic tactics that will be Ock's eventual downfall, is all.

The Jameson stuff... Yeah, they've always been at odds, but recently Jameson had been more lenient on him (ever since Ock took over, ironically enough).

The henchmen stuff... See, I have to disagree with you. Why hasn't Daredevil ever gotten henchmen? Cloak & Dagger? Any street-level hero?

And tying the henchmen stuff to the willingness to kill... It's one thing to kill in the heat of the battle, it's another thing to kill in cold blood, like he intended to do with Kingpin and Hobgoblin, when he launched a full-scale assault on Shadowland. This is full-on villainous mode for Ock; he didn't just tell the spider-army to destroy Shadowland and detain Kingpin and Hobgoblin, he wanted them dead.

But again, I'm loving SSM because of this new take, and making him unlikeable and using tactics like these will only make Peter's return even sweeter. Well, to me at least.

Fair enough, and I agree with you on the return .... this "aside" with Ock though, has some legs in my opinion. We're really getting to explore Ock, who as a long time web-head and looking back into the history of Spider-Man, which is a great treat. It's a whole new way to tell the "Parker Spider-Man" story but give us sooooo much depth for perhaps the villain he is most tied too. There will be a point where it needs to end, but I think we've got plenty of room to run to get there.

You're right, but I think that's just a play on the dynamic between the two. Jameson was always a hard ass and Parker just, took it basically ... but now Ock is "Jamesoning" Jameson. Kind of like the bully getting stood up too.

Yeah, there is definitely an approach he's taking that is quite obviously "bad guy" ... but so far it seems to me that they're giving us both stories, the one that the other characters are seeing, and then the one that we/Ock see. Nobody but the henchmen saw that stuff, but everyone saw the Massacre stuff. Nobody but the bad guys saw his swipe at Boomerang. See what I mean ? I feel that the're playing the story out to us, but leaving the actual reveal to the characters as a slow burn.

As for the other "street-level" guys never going the route of "hired help" ... there's a myriad of reasons. The biggest one being that NOBODY has the visibility that Spider-Man has. An Avenger, FF4 member, etc etc. He might as well be a "big time" guy rather than a street level type. Sure, he's played out that way but in reality he isn't. He's not a vigilante type (Daredevil/Cloak-Dagger) that needs to operate solo/low key.

We also have to remember that they HAVE to take certain measures, because otherwise this whole thing simply wouldn't work.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, I just feel that it isn't as far out there as some people might take it.

Is the Ultimate Spiderman/normal universe Spiderman crossover book worth a read? We dont get many comics(a few titles of the New 52 and the Phantom)where I live but a few bookstores have a graphic novel collection and that caught my attention.

I loved it but that was mainly because I missed Peter in the Ultimate universe so much and loved seeing him interact with Ultimate Peter's family.

• Like 1

At the end of 'House of M' Spider-Man is pissed that Doctor Strange can't remove his memories of the other world. Wouldn't Emma Frost be able to do that for him since she retained her powers? I know Professor Xavier was able to dick around with memory so I figured she can too.

At the end of 'House of M' Spider-Man is pissed that Doctor Strange can't remove his memories of the other world. Wouldn't Emma Frost be able to do that for him since she retained her powers? I know Professor Xavier was able to dick around with memory so I figured she can too.

Emma Frost: noted helper of anyone not a mutant or herself.

• Like 3

Emma Frost: noted helper of anyone not a mutant or herself.

Theres the whole secret identity thing to consider too. The good Doctor knows who he is. Emma does not and also might be more likely to use that knowledge for their own gain

• Like 1

Soooooooo this is happening this weekend: http://www.alamocitycomiccon.com/ First ever one, so it'll be a crap shoot.

Not sure which day I'll be going but I will be there.

Huge Walking Dead presence but that shit was expensive and sold out quick as hell.

BRET HART !

SCOTT F'NG HALL !

SCOTT F'NG NORTON !

Yeah, not really sure what I'll be able to do since I won't know until Friday what day I'm going .... but if nothing else, I'll settle for taking 20$ from Liefeld so he can take a picture with me just so he doesn't feel lonely :shifty:

My goals are to walk away with at least one of the following but possibly a few of:

a decent to highish grade (7.5-8.5) Iron Man #1

a lower grade (1.5-3.0) ASM #1

a mid grade (5.5-7) ASM #50

a decent grade (7.5-8.5) ASM #129

a highish grade (8.0-8.5) Hulk #102

and absolutely all of granted I can find them without stupid price tags on them just because it's a Con:

Batman #357, #386

Invaders #1

Defenders #1

Marvel Premiere #15

I know the manager of one of the Heroes & Fantasies stores here in SA (biggest in SA, and their main location is the biggest in Texas) and he's giving off pretty good vibes. Due to it being the 1st show here in SA it seems as though vendors are looking to make a good impression and splash for new customers. There are many of them that really want to blow this thing up because South Texas doesn't have a regular show (the Wizard Austin shows have been atrocious) and plenty of people could make their mark by being "user friendly" here this weekend. Hope that's the case.

Considering doing a favorite Superhero/Supervillain list. Think there would be enough interest?

Superboy spoilers:

So the current Superboy is a clone of the son of another universe's Superman and Lois Lane, and he's going to get killed in Krypton Returns and replaced by said son who so happens to be a villain. Also, apparently the switch happens chronologically before the events of Forever Evil, so the Titans are sent in time with him for who knows how long and don't notice anything despite being with him constantly and him displaying new powers he hadn't displayed before, like heat vision.

Ugh. Why is it that DC gets off so much by killing Kon? <_<

So I recently started catching up with some Marvel stuff. Took both of the main Avengers books to just before Infinity and now going through the current day Guardians of the Galaxy.

I read The Thanos Imperative and Annihilators beforehand too... regarding certain people;

So some people are supposed to be dead and I think I might have missed a comic or two at some point.

Star Lord, Nova and Thanos were all in the Cancerverse before it collapsed in on itself. Presumed dead. Also Drax was killed by Thanos prior to this. Now I'm assuming that Thanos is back because Death is a bitch and won't let him die, so fair enough. Likewise, Drax has been resurrected in the past as long as Thanos is alive, so he can serve his purpose. So I can assume those things. But Star Lord surived? I don't see any explanation for this... and what happened to Nova? I resisted searching the internet in case it gets revealed later on. So yeah, if these answers come later... I don't need to know :P but if I missed something, wouldn't mind being filled in!

Comi Con was awesome.

There were A LOT of specialty dealers and waaaaay more toy/collectible booths than I'd have liked. It was hard to find dealers that had an actual selection of books. Most were just a handful of boxes or a couple of big display boards with high end key issues and the flavor of the week (New 52 hot books and the Image stuff that's flying off the shelves).

I thought I'd be good going after two "lesser" Batman key issues in 357/386 but they were priced way over value simply because Mr Neal Adams was there (which I did get to walk literally 5ft from the guy and listen in for a minute. He was awesome, he wasn't on "artist's row" but rather in his own booth in a random spot).

The last row I went down had two good sized selections though and I managed to snag Invaders 1, Hulk 102, and Marvel Premiere 15 ... for a combined 300$ ! I also got a pic with my boys standing by the A-Team van too :)

A clear learning experience for the promoters (and the city) but for a first ever Con, it wasn't horrible. They just need a better floor plan and the city needs to allow them more of the conference room and meeting halls to help out in that regard.

The wife is already looking to go in character next year .... I can't wait.

So I recently started catching up with some Marvel stuff. Took both of the main Avengers books to just before Infinity and now going through the current day Guardians of the Galaxy.

I read The Thanos Imperative and Annihilators beforehand too... regarding certain people;

So some people are supposed to be dead and I think I might have missed a comic or two at some point.

Star Lord, Nova and Thanos were all in the Cancerverse before it collapsed in on itself. Presumed dead. Also Drax was killed by Thanos prior to this. Now I'm assuming that Thanos is back because Death is a bitch and won't let him die, so fair enough. Likewise, Drax has been resurrected in the past as long as Thanos is alive, so he can serve his purpose. So I can assume those things. But Star Lord surived? I don't see any explanation for this... and what happened to Nova? I resisted searching the internet in case it gets revealed later on. So yeah, if these answers come later... I don't need to know :P but if I missed something, wouldn't mind being filled in!

Regarding the stuff in the spoiler tag...

I don't know how Thanos and Drax came back, but I seem to recall someone asking Starlord how he got back and he basically said "I don't want to talk about it". Presumably it'll be revealed later on. Nova, as far as anyone knows, is still dead/missing in action.

Nova is pretty much definitely either dead or trapped in the Cancerverse. Star Lord hasn't revealed how he got out, but the current Nova in the comics is a different character who gets his powers from his dads old Nova Corps helmet. Despite the lack of Worldmind... so... >_>

They've said a bunch they'll probably reveal what happened to Richard Rider further down the line.