The Comic Book Thread (spoilers)

Your Mom

11 minutes ago, Benji said:

The Secret Warriors weren't in that were they? Wasn't it only Daisy in that?

D'oh .... thinking Secret Invasion ... yeah, Daisy was the only one in Secret War (stupid Marvel name stupid shit)

2 minutes ago, GhostMachine said:

I've been reading Afterlife With Archie, DAAAAAAAMN,,,,,,,!

I've been pimping the hell out of that since it started!!!!!!!  EASILY one of if not THEY best book out ... it is phenomenal

Nah, I'm passing on DC reboot number five billion. They see that as a quick fix to everything constantly and I'm beyond it at this point. I'd rather they just stuck with their history and wrote good stories rather than promising that "everything will be improved this time". They've proven they can do it with stuff like Blackest Night, but keeping going back to that reboot well.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Benji said:

Nah, I'm passing on DC reboot number five billion. They see that as a quick fix to everything constantly and I'm beyond it at this point. I'd rather they just stuck with their history and wrote good stories rather than promising that "everything will be improved this time". They've proven they can do it with stuff like Blackest Night, but keeping going back to that reboot well.

I only started reading the New 52 stuff last month, so I don't really want to read another reboot. I hated the 52 Justice League stuff, far too by the numbers for me. I liked the first two Suicide Squad stories, although King Shark I am not a fan of. Court of Owls was fantastic, easily one of my favourite Batman stories ever, although I could do without Damien Wayne!

Batman N52 is all sorts of wonderful ... Aquaman was actually quite good as well.  Wonder Woman was lost, JL just wasn't a JL book really and didn't give what needs to be given in  JL book, GL was hit and miss, and Superman missed

Nightwing was good as was JL Dark ... Swamp Thing and Animal Man had a rehash of their Vertigo days in that they were actually good reads but were cut because you know, stuff

I didn't do too much of the rest of New52 as I usually like DC's "off" stuff like LEGION LOST and such

I read the new Flash. It was pretty cool. He is dealing with a serial killer which I don't think he normally does though. I think that may be the influence of the new writer. I'm not sure. The show has gotten me more interested in the comics not the other way around

So I picked up Marvel Unlimited so I could catch up on the shit load of stuff I've missed. Why in the Secret Invasion: Dark Reign one shot does Namor look like an ageing truck driver who found some disco clothes and come across like an absolute putz? BMB and Alex Maleev wrote him should never ever touch him ever again.

In fact all the art looks like a British sitcom family who are horrible drunks.

• Like 3

Finally got around to reading Batman: Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader and it was not what I was expecting at all. I've seen it top so many lists for "Essential Batman Reading" and "Best Batman Stories of All Time". Maybe it is objectively, but with the expectations I had going into it, I wasn't floored. I liked Gaiman's Sandman and knew he had a really weird, artsy style but at least most Sandman stories are stories. Whatever Happened is more of a visual essay on what it means to be Batman than it is an actual story. Literally, from cover-to-cover, nothing progresses. Nothing moves. You find out as a reader what the framing device means and then its over. Can other people who have read Whatever Happened let me know if I let my expectations ruin the book or if it's really overhyped?

Wolverine: Origin

I just finished reading

Wolverine: Origin, and it wasn't what I was expecting at all but I loved it all the same.  It started really slowly and during the first few pages I was wondered what the hell I was reading, I thought I had bought some kind of Downton Abbey/Marvel crossover, but things got interesting pretty quickly after that.  I actually thought the "Dog" character was going to end up being Wolverine, so I was genuinely surprised when he ended up being the sickly kid "James."  I loved the cage fight at the end, too.  I heard the sequel is a bit rubbish, which is a shame.

Reading through Dark Avengers and just finished issue nine. The fights/enemies aren't particularly thrilling (the AvX story in particular is entirely missable), but the character developments and interactions are really fun. It's basically exactly what is should be - Thunderbolts with bigger name villains.

Issue nine spoilers...

Spoiler

Never been a big fan of Ares, he was blatantly just brought in as a replacement Thor, but that stuff with him, Fury and Phobos was touching. And I really want to know when they're going to pull the trigger on The Sentry full stop (pun somewhat intended after this issue where Lindy shoots him). Sentry and Norman's interractions really are a great parralel too.

Just read DC Universe Rebirth, and

I'd already read JLA #50, so I knew about the 3 Jokers thing. But its stupid. I'm assuming it means something's wrong and pre-Crisis, post-Crisis and New 52 Jokers are running around. Thumbs up to old school Wally West and Johnny Thunder being back (even if Johnny is extremely old), but the Watchmen stuff is idiotic.

Groot by Jeff Loveness

:crying:

Read this fucking book. Delves into Groot's inner workings and the particulars / origin of his friendship with Rocket. I cried.

Groot is thrown into space-prison and is constantly harassed, mocked, and bullied by guards for only being able to say "I Am Groot". So he constantly stands up for himself and gets thrown in the max security area, where Rocket is his roommate. Rocket at this point also only hears "I Am Groot". But they spend so much time partnered up in isolation that one day Rocket actually hears the translation.

Groot, after spending YEARS of being mocked and ignored by people who think he can't talk, gets a sudden wave of relief to have someone who can understand him. It's like one of those cases of children with severe debilitating autism who are given a computer and discover their brain works perfectly fine, it's only a matter of sending messages from the brain to the mouth.

Edited by I Diem

I really hate reading full runs of a comic at a time, especially when the MU is so incestuous with its storylines these days, I feel like I'm constantly missing stuff. Does anyone have a full chronological reading list for Marvel Unlimited (original release dates not just ones added on Marvel Unlimited).

12 minutes ago, Benji said:

I really hate reading full runs of a comic at a time, especially when the MU is so incestuous with its storylines these days, I feel like I'm constantly missing stuff. Does anyone have a full chronological reading list for Marvel Unlimited (original release dates not just ones added on Marvel Unlimited).

Typo? Or do you want a full reading list of every comic Marvel ever uploaded?

2 minutes ago, Benji said:

Not a typo, I want a list for the stuff on Marvel Unlimited.

Their lack of search engine and sorting system is beyond ridiculous after all this time.

Quick google searches, and i've found these links...
Full order of all comics: http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Marvel_Universe_Reading_Order_Part_1
Shorter order: http://www.comicbookherald.com/the-complete-marvel-reading-order-guide/
Reddit post: https://www.reddit.com/r/Marvel/comments/42s5yw/marvel_unlimited_reading_order_chronological/

• Like 2