The Comic Book Thread (spoilers)

Your Mom

4 minutes ago, GhostMachine said:

What was the cop out on Joker's identity? The stupid ass immortal laughing man thing?

And there's a theory regarding Cap:

Hide contents

Apparently the flashbacks to his childhood are in black and white...and red. Meaning possible mental manipulation by the Red Skull.

Spoiler

I'm 100% expecting this to be some sort of Red Skull plot and that they'll reveal it in issue #2.

44 minutes ago, GhostMachine said:

What was the cop out on Joker's identity? The stupid ass immortal laughing man thing?

And there's a theory regarding Cap:

Hide contents

Apparently the flashbacks to his childhood are in black and white...and red. Meaning possible mental manipulation by the Red Skull.

Joker

Identity wasn't actually revealed ... was revealed there's actually 3 jokers

Cap

Considering Skull has that brain in his head now he could easily be explained as causing SOMETHING and making Rogers do or THINK he's done things/is affiliated with/whatever ..... though I'd love for him to be the ultimate Splinter Cell and having been a Swordfish type of person FOR HYDRA the entire time.  I'd laugh my ass off honestly

33 minutes ago, GoGo Yubari said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I'm 100% expecting this to be some sort of Red Skull plot and that they'll reveal it in issue #2.

Someone at another board pointed out that

There was a comic where the Red Skull, with Xavier's powers, made a comment that `the seed is planted'. That could mean that he used Xavier's telepathic powers to alter Steve's mind.

And if there's any explanation other than that or it being some kind of swerve....fuck Marvel, and especially fuck the idiot who came up with the idea if its not.

1 minute ago, HailtotheTortureRack said:

Reveal hidden contents

Identity wasn't actually revealed ... was revealed there's actually 3 jokers

Ugh. Already heard about that. Not thrilled at all.

Is this the thing that was supposed to be the big reveal in JLA #50?

6 minutes ago, GhostMachine said:

Someone at another board pointed out that

Hide contents

There was a comic where the Red Skull, with Xavier's powers, made a comment that `the seed is planted'. That could mean that he used Xavier's telepathic powers to alter Steve's mind.

And if there's any explanation other than that or it being some kind of swerve....fuck Marvel, and especially fuck the idiot who came up with the idea if its not.

I think that was in the Uncanny Avengers run, or maybe the AXIS story arc

11 minutes ago, GhostMachine said:

Is this the thing that was supposed to be the big reveal in JLA #50?

Yes

2 minutes ago, Benji said:

What happened to Cap?

His new book hit today and the last panel has him saying "Hail Hydra" ... and Marvel is alluding/somewhat saying that he has/is/might have been a Hydra Agent all along .... which is what I just stated a few posts up!

Like Benji said, it's Marvel and they have zero reason to tell you it's not 100% real. Why would they ever say that what they have written isn't what's been written, it's their job to intrigue you and get you to buy the next issue to see where the rabbit hole leads. That's how it works people, stop shitting bricks over 'giving up on marvel' and whatnot. It's a story, and it's a radical thing, and I know for certain that there's certainly a few more twists along the road that prove that this is either a different Cap, he's brainwashed, or any other sort of shenanigans that end up making good ol' Steve Rogers into the good guy again...

Seriously, take a minute to think about it before going into meltdown... I for one am interested to see where this story leads, because really strong different stories have been lacking for quite a while.

6 minutes ago, Jasonmufc said:

Hide contents

Like Benji said, it's Marvel and they have zero reason to tell you it's not 100% real. Why would they ever say that what they have written isn't what's been written, it's their job to intrigue you and get you to buy the next issue to see where the rabbit hole leads. That's how it works people, stop shitting bricks over 'giving up on marvel' and whatnot. It's a story, and it's a radical thing, and I know for certain that there's certainly a few more twists along the road that prove that this is either a different Cap, he's brainwashed, or any other sort of shenanigans that end up making good ol' Steve Rogers into the good guy again...

Seriously, take a minute to think about it before going into meltdown... I for one am interested to see where this story leads, because really strong different stories have been lacking for quite a while.

Spoiler

No

• Like 4

TBF 'Srar (and I don't mean this to be an attack on you) ... that ending is exactly what the majority of Comic fans clamor for.  "We want different" "dare to do something crazy" "stop the same bullshit/rehash" etc etc etc

... then, they get exactly that and ... "FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKK YYYYYYYOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUU" "so done with (insert comic publisher here) and their stupid shit" etc etc etc

• Like 1

Spoiler

I've not read in a few years, but I would not be surprised if they reveal that this is the back story of the Cap that came back after his death, and he's been another universe's Cap ever since he returned or something.

2 hours ago, HailtotheTortureRack said:

TBF 'Srar (and I don't mean this to be an attack on you) ... that ending is exactly what the majority of Comic fans clamor for.  "We want different" "dare to do something crazy" "stop the same bullshit/rehash" etc etc etc

... then, they get exactly that and ... "FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKK YYYYYYYOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUU" "so done with (insert comic publisher here) and their stupid shit" etc etc etc

But if I wanted nonsense I would just sit here and make up my own comics :P Also Red Skull pretty much being Donald Trump is a little too on the nose for me

• Like 2

The reaction to the Cap news is hilarious. This happens literally every time, fan outrage over something that will be a footnote in the history of the character in a few years. Superior Spider-Man had the same reaction and ended up being one of the best Spider-Man runs ever. You don't have to read it if you don't like the story - we'll get All-Brand-New All-Totally-Different Marvel 2k16 Ultimate Edition in like 6 months or something that'll put the status quo back as usual.

And of course Marvel are going to say IT'S NOT A TRICK, THIS IS REAL. They're not going to come out and say "It's cool guys, it's just a trick, we'll be back to normal after issue 6."

Man I wish the internet had been around like this back in the 90's, when fucking everyone was a clone of Mister Sinister every other day and pouches ruled the world. Comics have always done stupid stuff and we always end up back in the same spot eventually.

The MCU reacts:

Spoiler

• Like 5

I think it's entirely reasonable to be angry and frustrated when a character you like isn't presented in the way you like and telling someone their reactions are "wrong" or whatever isn't really fair. What works for you doesn't work for others, and even though it will change back doesn't make it seem less ridiculous at the time.

I didn't mean to make it seem like I was dismissing opinions on what is happening right now by posting that about what Marvel said, I was trying to say just don't believe what Marvel says about it.

I personally am of the "wait and see" variety on this particular one, but my opinion is no more or less valid than anyone elses.

• Like 5

@Benji @I Diem @Kirkland @Little Red SrarvetteEWB Comic Book fans, I'm looking for some help.

Over the past few months, I've been reading pretty much any comic book I can get my hands on.  I've always liked comics, but before this year the only character I was interested in was Batman but through the MCU films and TV series, I've found myself being drawn more towards Marvel comics than DC.  I'm going on holiday tomorrow and I'm looking for some recommendations to read by the pool and on the plane.  For this holiday, so far I have:

Captain America:  The Winter Soldier Vol 1 &2

Batman:  The Court of Owls Vol 1 & 2

The Death of Captain America

Wolverine:  Origin

I've read most of the big titles like Civil War, Killing Joke, Hush, Long Halloween, Knightfall, two volumes of the New 52 Suicide Squad, Weapon X and Old Man Logan etc.  Any recommendations would be appreciated!