The Comic Book Thread (spoilers)

Your Mom

18 minutes ago, Benji said:

So I just found out Marvel are doing Civil War 2. What the fuck? :lol:

Yeah, my reaction exactly.

It's mostly Marvel trying to cash in on the film hype by creating a second civil war story, and it'll probably be a pretty good read too... But literally calling it 'Civil War 2' is completely naff.

Edited by Jasonmufc

Tbf this one is a little bit different, in that it's probably the thousandth riff on "thoughtcrime". The idea is that a new mutant who can predict the future grabs the world's attention, and Captain Marvel wants to use this mutant's powers to lock criminals up before they commit crimes, while Iron Man opposes this. 

I'm not expecting a lot, considering they only had 3-4 months to plan it. They were also pretty open about that short timeframe being because they wanted to get out the first issue in time to capitalize on the movie. 

Also, Captain America is on Captain Marvel's side, which is a head-scratcher. "Lock people up for thoughtcrime" does not seem like a very Cap position to take. I guess I'll have to wait and see, because Tom Brevoort said that they want to craft it so that people find things to agree with on both sides.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Cloudy said:

Tbf this one is a little bit different, in that it's probably the thousandth riff on "thoughtcrime". The idea is that a new mutant who can predict the future grabs the world's attention, and Captain Marvel wants to use this mutant's powers to lock criminals up before they commit crimes, while Iron Man opposes this. 

I'm not expecting a lot, considering they only had 3-4 months to plan it. They were also pretty open about that short timeframe being because they wanted to get out the first issue in time to capitalize on the movie. 

Also, Captain America is on Captain Marvel's side, which is a head-scratcher. "Lock people up for thoughtcrime" does not seem like a very Cap position to take. I guess I'll have to wait and see, because Tom Brevoort said that they want to craft it so that people find things to agree with on both sides.

Going full minority report on people sounds more like a Tony Stark thing than a Captain Marvel thing in the first place. But I guess they really want to make Tony the ''good guy'' in this Civil War as opposed to him being firmly the bad dude in the first civil war (seeing he kinda had a hand in Cap-Steve getting murdered, and such).

Only thing i'm not a fan of is that it's directly off the heels of another event (Pleasant Hill), which granted is a fun read, but this will no doubt absolutely wreak havoc on many comic serials who go from covering one event to the next, and having little to no chance to have an in-between story to give their readers a bit of a respite.

I get of course that they want to capitalize on the film's hype/success, but I really hope that after CW2: Electric Boogaloo they fuck off with events for a good 9 months and let the comics build their own stuff up.

8 hours ago, Benji said:

If they hadn't gone absolutely mental with the Ultimate Universe and destroyed the imprint, it would be a great time to do their version of it. What a mess they made of that whole brand.

I really believe that instead of relaunching titles or doing soft reboots to work around creative choices that limit the storytellers... what Marvel, DC or any other imprint should be doing, is that every ten years or so, they should launch a new timeline/universe that starts from scratch. It would make death more permanent in the books, because if you kill Steve Rogers in the standard Marvel universe, you only have to wait x amount of years before you can hand him back to a team that really wants to write his character within a new story entirely.

I feel like this would be a better business model, simply because one of the biggest reasons I hear from people about why they don't read comics, is because they feel like the stories just largely don't matter. One month we're witnessing the death of an industry icon to help promote new characters, and then the next month we're reading a press release about their "long awaited return" coming within the year. The events of the books just don't seem to matter, as the story moves on in whatever direction is going to be easiest to market, whether or not it follows what just happened.

Just finished reading Old Man Logan after I heard the new Wolverine film is based on it.

I'm guessing the only thing the movie is going to take from the comic is that Wolverine is old... There is no way that story makes the big screen.

5 hours ago, Benji said:

And Richard Rider is trapped in another universe! This is bullshit :/

He's pretty much dead. They're all aboard the Sam Alexander train for Nova.

And Namor kind of had it coming to be fair. He did some pretty fucked up stuff in Secret Wars.

Lame. Rider was awesome in the Nova series from just undet a decade back. The writing made me give a shit about Marvel's cosmic stories which I never had before.

And anything Namor does is fair game, he ain't no hero, he's the God damned King of Atlantis and humanity is shit to him after all he's done to help them. He's like an extra badass X-Men all by himself.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Benji said:

Lame. Rider was awesome in the Nova series from just undet a decade back. The writing made me give a shit about Marvel's cosmic stories which I never had before.

And anything Namor does is fair game, he ain't no hero, he's the God damned King of Atlantis and humanity is shit to him after all he's done to help them. He's like an extra badass X-Men all by himself.

Dude assembled a team of super villains to destroy entire universes and then couldn't keep the leash on his hounds. It's a pretty sure thing he's not dead either way, he's shown up in the advertising for Marvel's next crossover "Mosaic".

If you liked Marvel Cosmic whilst it was still good, check out Johnathon Hickman's Fantastic Four/FF and his run on Avengers/New Avengers that lead to Secret Wars. It's one of the only other series to feel as grand in scale and be so insanely well written. I'd probably say the Avengers - Secret Wars stuff might even be better than the Abnett and Lanning Cosmic run.

• Like 2

Hey guys, I just finished reading Civil War and I tought it was pretty rad, but I'm seriously doubtful about whether I should start from that point. Any solid point to begin RAFA COMIC BOOK JOURNEY~?

14 hours ago, Rafael said:

Hey guys, I just finished reading Civil War and I tought it was pretty rad, but I'm seriously doubtful about whether I should start from that point. Any solid point to begin RAFA COMIC BOOK JOURNEY~?

I finished reading that today too. Although the film similarities end at Iron Man vs. Captain America, I really liked it.

• Like 1

On 5/4/2016 at 03:01, Rafael said:

Depends what you want more of, big crossover stories or individual heroes. The next chronological crossover is Secret Invasion, but it's not a great story in my opinion. The best Marvel crossover for my money is Annihilation, but it's got very few big name heroes. If you're looking to read some new heroes, it might be worth checking out the Ultimate Marvel line, that's a pretty great entry point to Marvel Comics. It's a different universe, but it's kind of a best of for each character.

If you want to read a character in particular, Marvel did a relaunch of all their titles a year or two ago called Marvel NOW. It's worth just picking a hero and reading from their #1 of that launch. Thor: God of Thunder is one of the best runs of that relaunch, along with Avengers, New Avengers (those two run side by side and are telling two parts of one story), Superior Spider-Man (Doc Ock as Spidey, one of his best stories), Uncanny Avengers. Some of those might interest you, they're good runs with complete stories.

If you want something that ties in with Civil War, I'd pick up Ed Brubaker's run on Captain America. Winter Soldier and Civil War were largely based on his runs and borrowed a lot of elements from them. His run also covers Bucky's stint as Captain America which is a great read.

Personally I'm not so hot on the Ultimate Marvel universe. Mostly because many writers played fast and loose with many of the characters, and oftentimes not for the better. Examples being the terrible portrayal of Hawkeye and Widow, but also a lot more.

Also I felt many of the UM stuff was made to be as edgy as possible compared to the 'tame' ordinary universe where they of course were bound to a tighter leash when it came to going from one extreme to the other.

Ultimate Marvel is really a love/hate line, you either love it or you hate it, but I haven't heard many people that aren't on either side of the spectrum. So read it and make up your own mind, but don't assume things because there were some real stinkers in there. (granted, 616 isn't perfect either)

One thing I can credit UM for is it's better flow, very much comparable to the current MCU films. Where especially as time went on the stories became more intertwined and very much the events were built up in phases like with the films. So there's an actual reading order you can adhere to, with everything connecting to the event to the end, rather than the 616 style of 'some are part of the event, some aren't, we have no idea how any of this fits chronologically'.

PS: TKz, you actually mean All-New All-Different, now Marvel NOW which happened between 2012-2015.
PPS: If you gonna read the Ultimates, avoid Orson Scott Card's Iron Man LIKE THE PLAGUE. It was so terrible they actually retconned it, it's not even so-bad-its-good bad, it's just awful from start to finish.
PPPS: The Ultimate Marvel (E-1610) line ended in 2015 (Secret Wars) and got combined into 616, so if you want to read something with a start and a finish, UM is a good bet.