The Comic Book Thread (spoilers)

Your Mom

So I haven't been keeping up on running comics for a while, Rebirth doing anything to Harley's comics? I know a second Harley book started not too long ago.

On 2/8/2016 at 12:01, HailtotheTortureRack said:

YAY for tax returns!!!!! Just sent off 35 books to CBCS for grading. 

Included in the submissions: 

Brave and Bold #29 (2nd app Justice League) 3.5 tops, likely a 2.5 to 3.  Still attached throughout and no major holes/tears though so here's hoping.

All Star Western #10 (1st Jonah Hex) Top end 7.5-8, likely a 7.  Tough Bronze Age book to find, especially in respectable grade.  got it for a steal so hoping for some gravy here.

Web of Mystery #5 (1951 ACE Magazines) should be fairly decent upper mid grade unless there's something I just didn't see.

Buck Rogers #1 (Gold Key 1964) small split at bottom spine (1/4 inch tops) keeps it from being superb ... should be upper mid, lower high grade.

Amazing SM #31 (1st Gwen Stacey) should be in the 4 range (hopefully not lower)

ASM #298 (1st McFarlane work on SM) this book should kill.  I really really really want a 9.8 on it, but anything lower than 9.6 and I'll be shocked.

select others .... Tomb of Dracula #10 (first Blade), Astonishing Tales #25 (First Deathlok and 1st George Perez work), Batman 234 (First Two Face since Golden Age), Action Comics 869 (recalled beer cover), Son of Satan 3 and 4 (30cent variants)

Should be a good group of books when I get them all back.  Decided to have the different tiers shipped as they're done so that way I get 3 days of awesome spread out instead of just one big ass one.  Breaks up the wait time significantly and was only a 20 dollar total diff in shipping.

Well, the bad news is that there was damage to one of the box and like half the books in transit.  FUCK YOU CARRIER~!!!!  BUT, Steve Borock is an absolute class act and took on the responsibility himself.  He personally called and worked out the issue with me.  He freaking spent two hours over a SAT and SUN morning to go through each book and asses whether or not it was still worth it to me to be graded AFTER giving me a gauge on what the grade range would be!!!!!!!!

I CANNOT STRESS ENOUGH HOW AMAZING HE AND CBCS ARE

Unfortunately for me the majority of the damaged books were my 1:100 variants and 1:25 modern variants that had first appearances and such.  So, with that STING .... still got some really good news last night as I got the email notification that the books still worth it were graded!!!!!!  I'll post pics when they come in, BUT:

- The WEB of Mystery is a 5.5 with a check mark, meaning it presents better than the grade indicates.  Slightly lower than I expected but that's due to some issues with interior pages that I hadn't looked at close enough.

- Buck Rogers is a 7.5 WOOOOO

- ASM #31 :D 6.5, I was apparently way to harsh on the spine

- Brave and the Bold 29 :D:D 4.5 !!!!!  Again overly harsh on the spine and cover defects

- ASW 10 I nailed, it's a 7.0

So, still some good news .... but the ASM 298, Action Comics recalled cover, and Astonishing Tales 25 were all part of the damaged lot :crying::crying:

Yeah, loved that run. The comic book store I used to work at opened around that time and that #1 run was one of the books suggested to me. It's probably not for everyone, but if you think a former mercenary, turned vigilante superhero, who worships a psychotic Egyptian God that gives him super powers (and which may-or-may-not be a hallucination caused by serious psychosis) might be your cup of tea, then I'd really strongly recommend it.

DC is "restructuring" Vertigo, fired Shelly Bond, and now Vertigo's staff reports directly to Jim Lee and Dan Didio. Pissed lots of people off, and comics' "open secret" about Eddie Berganza's abuse towards female co-workers was brought out into the open. 

The main Wonder Woman comic is part of the Superman office. Now, the Superman office allegedly employs no women, and a cursory glance over the mastheads of several Superman titles and Wonder Woman seems to confirm that allegation. The reason, I've been told by several people who work or used to work at DC, is because one of the most senior editors is a sexual harasser with multiple incidents on his HR file. I don't use "alleged" here because at least one incident (grabbing a woman's breasts) happened publicly at a corporate social gathering with multiple witnesses. There was also something about sticking his tongue down an artist's girlfriend's throat when the artist was in the bathroom. Again, public gathering.

http://www.theouthousers.com/index.php/news/135141-dc-restructures-vertigo-fires-shelly-bond-provokes-naming-of-open-secret-sexual-harasser-in-upper-management.html

JA2.PNG

13 hours ago, Little Red Srarvette said:

All Marvel Comics are buy one get one free on Comixology right now. Christopher might be mad when he finds out but I just bought $100 worth of comics :blush:

But you GOT 200$+ worth though ... gotta sell it ;)

On 4/22/2016 at 04:30, Cloudy said:

DC is "restructuring" Vertigo, fired Shelly Bond, and now Vertigo's staff reports directly to Jim Lee and Dan Didio. Pissed lots of people off, and comics' "open secret" about Eddie Berganza's abuse towards female co-workers was brought out into the open. 

http://www.theouthousers.com/index.php/news/135141-dc-restructures-vertigo-fires-shelly-bond-provokes-naming-of-open-secret-sexual-harasser-in-upper-management.html

JA2.PNG

Get your shit together DC

• Like 4

On 4/19/2016 at 21:09, TKz said:

Moon Knight is great. Nothing tops his Marvel Now run, far and away the best that character has ever been. Jeff Lemire's #1 came out recently and that's also a real good comic.

All this talk about Moon Knight got me intrigued, so I read the first issue of the new Moon Knight series. And I gotta say that it really pulled me in, and even managed to make me feel conflicted about the guy. The way they've played with his delusions is brilliant and even makes me as a knowledged reader wonder what is real or fake.

Really intrigued in seeing how it continues further.

• Like 2

Anyone reading the Batman Beyond book that came out of Future's End? I kinda wanna give it a shot cause I love BB but the whole Tim not Terry thing kills me.