The Comic Book Thread (spoilers)

Your Mom

23 minutes ago, Benji said:

Those are what I found, but they chronological in order of actual Universe, not chronological order of release.

Well it's a bit of a chore, but you can always check the year-by-year list from Marvel itself, starting w.e. you want (probably early/late 90s depending on your X-Men fancy)
http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Contents

The worst part of that is that it doesn't filter out individual issues and thus gives you a ridiculous list that you can't get through.
When in doubt though, get on the Marvel Subreddit and maybe ask them specifically for a by-release chronology?

EDIT2: There's also this site that lists every single Marvel comic by release. http://cmro.travis-starnes.com/reading-order.php
But that site is also a work in process, so yeah...

Edited by Jasonmufc
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Benji said:

Adding bookmarks for all on-going series - the Marvel Universe imprint is the one linked to the cartoon universe I assume? I guess that and the online only Infinite Comics imprints are entirely missable?

MU is indeed the cartoon verse, and Infinite is missable too. On that end what-if's are also completely missable unless you really really want to read more about things that don't matter. 

• Like 1

I know those, I just wanted to try and get the main MCU on a reading list. I haven't really kept up with the main universe but for a few trades here and there for about five years (shameful for someone who used to work in a comic book shop, but I couldn't afford to keep the hobby and Marvel Unlimited is shit on all devices until the update to panels, and still suck on small screen devices, which were the only things I had until the other day).

God Marvel Unlimited is taking me back down the rabbit hole. New Exiles #2

Spoiler

Today I read the start of the New Exiles run (I'd read the non-"New" Exiles, but decided not to continue when that ended). I just learned that universe 6706 contains a Namor who married Sue Storm... and had Gambit as a son. They combined a Namor and Gambit story, this is the universe I would call home.

• Like 1

Doing a re-read of Ultimate Marvel based on this reading order (issues, not trades). I forgot how bad Ultimate Elektra is. Ultimate D&E at least had a decent story even if I didn't actually like a lot of the dialogue, but Ultimate Elektra is just painful. If I recall correctly Ultimate Iron Man wasn't great either, but it'll be a step up from Elektra.

Has anyone read House of M?

I fear I'm going to be in the minority here but I thought this was a complete, convulted mess. I think the premise is great but the execution was poor. I kinda want to read the sequel because I want it to be good, but I won't bother unless I can get it dirt cheap.

I'm 99% sure this doesn't exist, but you never know these days on the internet...

I'm looking for some kind of database that lists when certain characters appeared in comics in chronological order.  I've read the majority of the main stories now and I'm completely hooked, I just find it frustrating sometimes when I'm thinking "who's this guy?  Where did he come from?" etc, and I have no idea where one timeline/universe ends and the other begins.  I'm kinda all over the place.

1 minute ago, brenchill said:

I'm 99% sure this doesn't exist, but you never know these days on the internet...

I'm looking for some kind of database that lists when certain characters appeared in comics in chronological order.  I've read the majority of the main stories now and I'm completely hooked, I just find it frustrating sometimes when I'm thinking "who's this guy?  Where did he come from?" etc, and I have no idea where one timeline/universe ends and the other begins.  I'm kinda all over the place.

Go to the marvel.wikia, choose character, go down the page, select 

And you get a list, it's not very intuitive, nor have I found a way to make it chronological, but it's a start and with smaller characters it's perfectly doable.

• Like 1

On 6/16/2016 at 15:03, Maxx said:

IDW's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles series is wonderful

This is good to hear! I want to try it. I've been trying some of the DC stuff and I actually kinda like Superman. Well I mean the Superman who is married to Lois and has a superkid. That is a story that interests me. I don't know what universe he is from or any of that but I'm not sure it matters. I like it.

12 minutes ago, Little Red Srarvette said:

This is good to hear! I want to try it. I've been trying some of the DC stuff and I actually kinda like Superman. Well I mean the Superman who is married to Lois and has a superkid. That is a story that interests me. I don't know what universe he is from or any of that but I'm not sure it matters. I like it.

He's the pre-reboot (Flashpoint) Superman, revealed to be alive in Convergence along with several other heroes from the pre-Flashpoint and pre-Crisis universes. Also, major spoilers:

He's currently THE Superman of the DC universe, as the new 52 Superman died, and Jon will be the new Superboy.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Little Red Srarvette said:

Highly recommend giving it a go, it's an updated take on them, but its written by one of the original creators, so all the small changes work well and don't upset anything.

I need help from the X-Men experts! I'm reading through the X-Men comics from the very beginning. But instead of liking it like, Spider-man and the Fantastic four, I don't. It's quite boring. Marvel Girl hahahaha. So, from which issue of the first run, does it get interesting? 

The new Mighty Morphin Power Rangers comic is great. It's already fleshed out the original team more than the show. The Pink Ranger mini has started awesome. The idea of Kim still being a emergency Pink Ranger in secret after she had to leave the team is so cool. Her new suit is kickass too.

mmpr-pink-1-ranger-suit.jpg

1 hour ago, Lars Mulder said:

I need help from the X-Men experts! I'm reading through the X-Men comics from the very beginning. But instead of liking it like, Spider-man and the Fantastic four, I don't. It's quite boring. Marvel Girl hahahaha. So, from which issue of the first run, does it get interesting? 

Many would say start in the 90s because that's where X-Men really came into their own, especially with the Jim Lee penciled X-Men being the basis for many of the future artwork of both the animated series and the characters as is going into the future.

Going further back, Dark Phoenix (1980) and especially Days of Future Past (1981) were the first major storylines that really propelled X-Men to the forefront and popularized it in pop culture.

Going even further back than that, i'd say go to 1975 and start when Chris Claremont took over writing duties, he pretty much defined the X-Men (And Marvel in general) into the 90s, creating many big named characters (Rogue, Jubilee, Gambit, Mystique, etc.) and turning Wolverine into the anti-hero everyone knows and loves.

As a whole I can't really suggest Silver Age comics because they're tonally very different to what came in the bronze age and beyond.
EDIT: Additionally, X-Men in general wasn't popular until Claremont changed everything up. It was so bad that between 1970 and 1975 they only published reprints of old stories rather than create new content. So from 70/75 you can completely avoid.

Edited by Jasonmufc
  • Like 1