The Comic Book Thread (spoilers)

Your Mom

6 hours ago, angeluzcr said:
  Hide contents

Im guessing it is mostly inspired by "Injustice:Gods Among Us", It was talked about It here recently.

I was referring more to the costume he wears than anything, I thought that was taken from a comic. I've read Gods Among Us, nothing really rang a bell from that.

49 minutes ago, Benji said:

I liked him at one point, I'm kind of tired of the "will he/won't he" nature of the character at this point though. Only so many times you can go to that well.

I've just picked him up from the New Avengers story-arc, he seems pretty cool so far.

If you want to check out Black Bolt, try Silent War. The art style is very cool IMO, and it's a pretty good comic to drop yourself into as it basically shows what the Inhumans individual characters are all about without spelling it out for you.

If you read House of M already then it's probably worth reading Son of M before Silent War as it bridges the gap a little, but it's not essential.

• Like 1

On 7/3/2016 at 09:47, Benji said:

If you want to check out Black Bolt, try Silent War. The art style is very cool IMO, and it's a pretty good comic to drop yourself into as it basically shows what the Inhumans individual characters are all about without spelling it out for you.

If you read House of M already then it's probably worth reading Son of M before Silent War as it bridges the gap a little, but it's not essential.

THAT THAT THAT THAT all freaking day long.

• Like 1

I've been rereading David Hine's District X and its still pretty amazing. Its a 14 issue run that merges X-Men with a urban crime drama, taking place in Mutant Town. It's a pretty self contained story with only one proper X-Men Character (Bishop) appearing in the series and even than the interpretation is pretty loose, so its not like one needs to know years of history to jump into the story. Unfortunately it was canned after House Of M and is a pretty rare find, but if given the opportunity to read it, its a pretty engaging story and I personally would love to see it get a run as a TV show.

Also I don't understand the dislike the general community has for John Henry Irons, is he the most original character to ever appear in a comic? Nah, he's the bastard son of Tony Stark and Superman but I complaint I hear often about Superman is that he's too overpowered, uninteresting and not relatable, DC gave people a regular guy with Superman's moral and values and he gets shit on. Maybe I'm just biased towards the character due to the fact YTV used to run commercials for Superfamily action figures and seeing Steel smash through a brick wall with his hammer left a lasting impression on 7 year old me.

2 hours ago, Little Red Srarvette said:

Just read about the replacement for Iron Man. So dumb. Comics suck now

What is Marvel's deal with replacing iconic characters with women lately? If you want strong female characters... Um create them? I have no interest in reading about female Wolverine, Female Thor, or Female Ironman! What the hell is wrong with creating entirely different characters?

I hate it when companies kill off or retire characters just so they can replace them with someone of a different race or gender. Especially when there's nothing wrong with the existing character. Wasn't thrilled when DC killed off Ted Kord just to replace him with a Latino character using the same name or when they (temporarily) killed off Ronnie Raymond so they could create a black Firestorm. The female Thor would be easier to take if they hadn't gone with the obvious, everyone sees it coming choice of Jane Foster. 

So Thunderstrike and War Machine are gone. Can we please have someone off USAgent, aka Asshole America, now? (Hell, I'd love to see Winter Soldier do it.)

The Thor comic is great, though.

Can't rightly say I care about the Iron Man thing one way or another. I doubt I'll read it because I'm not much for Bendis, whereas with Thor that's Jason Aaron and I'm pretty partial to what I've read from him. Iron Man's a peculiar choice, though. It feels like a well-intentioned overreach, but there have been so many shittier comics trends that I'm finding it hard to really care one way or the other.

I think I'm only protective of comics characters when they're borderline obscure and I know that some writer is going to have the bright idea of bringing them back exclusively to kill them off. Tony Stark and whoever is just like "whatever, you'll be fine and reset to status quo in a year."

• Like 1

It feels like one too many at this point, but I actually love Jason Aaron's Thor and Taylor's Wolverine...

But then this is Bendis and Iron Man is a pretty boring hero itself, it's Tony Stark that makes the character interesting. There's a reason no one in the history of ever has really given enough of a shit about Rhodey to warrant a War Machine run. He's had like one run that made 20 something issues? Also do we really need this story of young genius inherits main hero title when it's already being done in Totally Awesome Hulk?

I dropped Bendis' Iron Man already, so I don't think I'll bother with this.

I feel like a Donald Trump supporter for thinking this but I'm just tired of "Let's replace established hero with a minority or flip genders! Won't that be shocking?" No not really. It's old and tired and really lazy now. Introduce this new character. I'm sure they could be great with a decent writer but there is no need to remove every single old hero and replace them. There are 3 Captain Americas, 3 Spidermen, 2 Wolverines even though 1 just goes by Logan, 2 Hulks and I am sure Tony will come back and there will be 2 Iron Men. There might even be 2 Thors again eventually. I mean fuck man

• Like 4

2 hours ago, HailtotheTortureRack said:

... Eric's been gone a while.

I'm guessing Srar's talking about the original one (who's going now by Odinson) and the current, Jane Foster one. Which, to be honest, is something I can see happening as well, because in one of the latest Thor books,

wasn't Odinson shown to be captive, but within reach of the Ultimate Mjolnir? That could be an indication of things to come.

Also, @Little Red Srarvette, 3 Caps? Steve, Sam, and who else? Are you talking about the future Cap that's going to be a part of the USAvengers (Danielle Cage) or someone else I'm missing right now? And 2 Hulks? I thought Banner couldn't turn into the Hulk anymore, as shown in the latest Totally Awesome Hulk. Are you talking about the Red Hulk, who's also going to be in the USAvengers?

6 minutes ago, Johnny Latino Heat said:

I'm guessing Srar's talking about the original one (who's going now by Odinson) and the current, Jane Foster one. Which, to be honest, is something I can see happening as well, because in one of the latest Thor books,

Reveal hidden contents

Also, @Little Red Srarvette, 3 Caps? Steve, Sam, and who else? Are you talking about the future Cap that's going to be a part of the USAvengers (Danielle Cage) or someone else I'm missing right now? And 2 Hulks? I thought Banner couldn't turn into the Hulk anymore, as shown in the latest Totally Awesome Hulk. Are you talking about the Red Hulk, who's also going to be in the USAvengers?

I meant the one from Young Avengers. I guess she is still called Miss America though? So maybe people don't count that. As far as Banner goes I read the last issue of Civil War 2 and it showed him as the Hulk I thought. Maybe I misunderstood it?

Just now, Little Red Srarvette said:

I meant the one from Young Avengers. I guess she is still called Miss America though? So maybe people don't count that. As far as Banner goes I read the last issue of Civil War 2 and it showed him as the Hulk I thought. Maybe I misunderstood it?

Ah, I think that one has always been just called Miss America. However, there will be another Cap, Luke Cage's daughter from the future, as part of the USAvengers, as I said, so yeah, 3 Caps. As for Banner, yeah, there was "a" Hulk by the end of Civil War, but I'm not so sure that was Banner, since in the latest TA Hulk, he was shown to have tried everything, but couldn't turn. I honestly wouldn't put it past Marvel to show that, while Amadeus looks to be in complete control of his Hulk most of the time, when he goes out of control, he could be even worse than Banner. There have been a few hints of that in his series, as well. We'll just have to wait and see, I guess. But still, yeah, there's gonna be at least 2 Hulks with the Red one returning as well.