The Comic Book Thread (spoilers)

Your Mom

Just now, Johnny Latino Heat said:

Here's some info. There's more info out there, but yeah, apparently the whole "Marvel NOW" relaunches are a yearly thing now, or so it seems.

They're not so much relaunches more as they are just marketing points. Moments where they can hype up big new titles coming out and/or big new changes to existing titles that fans can use as something of a hopping on point.

If I hear the word 'relaunch' I think about All-New All-Different (Or DC Rebirth) where everything starts back at #1, which in this case, it doesn't (really). Some titles like Avengers are 'new' because they're 'The Avengers' instead of 'All-New All-Different Avengers', so the old run will be wrapped up with the new one following the old one.

Some titles like Avengers are 'new' because they're 'The Avengers' instead of 'All-New All-Different Avengers', so the old run will be wrapped up with the new one following the old one.

It's that confusing ass sentence right there that keeps me from ever trying to read an Avengers book 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Little Red Srarvette said:

It's that confusing ass sentence right there that keeps me from ever trying to read an Avengers book 

With the 2015 'reboot' Marvel released a serial named 'All-New All-Different Avengers', now that the ANAD hype is nearly a year removed they will end the old serial, and replace it with a new serial just called 'The Avengers', starting at #1 again.

Basically it's just a new volume (In this case the new one will be The Avengers Vol. 8 #1) with ANAD being Vol. 7 #1-#?

Now if you really want to get confused about shit. There's also 'New Avengers' and 'Uncanny Avengers', all of them being their own serials in their own right.

Edited by Jasonmufc

I will say I definitely hate the constant relaunching and reshuffling of comic titles. I was reading the Hercules comic and liking it, and then after issue #6 it was like "want to see the story continue? It's gonna continue in GODS OF WAR #1!" A title I promptly forgot within a day. Apparently it came out over a month ago and I only realized it like a couple days ago when I was in a comic shop I hadn't been to.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Benji said:

Honestly I would have thought a character like Thanos should stick to mini-series, but Jeff Lemire seems like a decent writer from the limited amount I have read, so I'll stay cautiously optimistic.

Normally I'd agree but there's been a huge Cosmic and "BIGGER PICTURE" underdone going on for a while and I think if it was ever going to work, it'd be now (especially with MCU integration and "help" for the characters and stories).  He's also one of the few that has depth and could really be expanded on.  He's already been presented several different ways and they've all worked.  

I'm quite interested actually.

5 hours ago, Jasonmufc said:

They're not so much relaunches more as they are just marketing points. Moments where they can hype up big new titles coming out and/or big new changes to existing titles that fans can use as something of a hopping on point.

They've essentially said it's like a "TV Seasons" model or in that vein at least.  Everything revolves around whatever central story (Secret Wars, Civil War, Death of X, etc) and the monthlies/minis reflect that state of things.

While it's really annoying @Little Red Srarvette ... it DOES make some sense that way and I'd rather them put that out there than simply hoping line wide redeux's every 15-24months will make a difference.

So... I just read a spoiler for issue 3 of Civil War II that comes out tomorrow

Spoiler

Everyone is scared that Banner is going to Hulk out and kill them so Hawkeye shoot him in the face with a special Hulk killing arrow or something and kills him.  But it turns out it was Banners idea to be murdered! Some other shit happens too but ho fucking cares at this point?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Little Red Srarvette said:

I don't know it's just too much for me. All I want is a series that tells interesting stories that I don't have to read 5 other titles to understand and doesn't reset to issue 1 every six months

There are a few that fit into that idea right now. 
Black Panther, Black Widow, Daredevil, Guardians of the Galaxy, Mockingbird, Moon Knight, Old Man Logan, Power Man and Iron Fist, and Vision.
They had a cross-over with each other (8 issues between the three of them), but Spider-Gwen, Silk, and Spider-Woman are also three that mostly play around in their own world where you don't need to read every single comic to know what's going on. For what it's worth, the cross-over was pretty fun.

But in essence, as long as you avoid the major team-up titles you should be pretty fine. Most smaller titles do their own thing almost exclusively. But if you're gonna read the likes of Iron Man and so forth, you can be certain that Marvel will look for a way to get you to buy all the other major titles too, it's their business strategy.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Little Red Srarvette said:

So... I just read a spoiler for issue 3 of Civil War II that comes out tomorrow

Reveal hidden contents

Basically.

Spoiler

The Avengers confront Bruce Banner about the visions of him Hulking out and killing most of them, and Tony and Carol Danvers are talking to him outside of his lab. He tells them that he hasn't been Hulk in a year, and he's doing Gamma-related experiments to try and minimize his chances of ever being Hulk again. He gets mad at the insinuation that he was going to murder the Avengers, and Hawkeye kills him. Turns out it's all told via flashback during Hawkeye's trial, where he reveals that Banner gave him a special arrow a year before and told him if he ever even thinks he's about to turn into Hulk, he should kill him. So he does, because he swears he could see a "flicker of green" in Bruce's eyes when he got angry at Tony & Carol.