The Comic Book Thread (spoilers)

Your Mom

I'm waiting to see where they're going with this human Clark Kent storyline in Action Comics. 

Personally, I think it would be cool if they keep the human Clark around and have Superman either not use a secret identity at all, or use a new one.

"Hi. I'm Clark's identical cousin, Joe." (At various times, Clark's middle name has either been Joseph or Jerome.) Or he could go by Jon, after Jonathan Kent.

So this week there's a new Marvel Comic out about Luke Cage, called 'Cage!' (He's a machine!... wait, wrong Cage). The interesting part about this four issue mini-series is that its being written and partly penciled by Genndy Tartakovsky of Dexter's Lab and Samurai Jack fame. And having browsed through the first issue, the art style is really unique, colourful, and fun. And it fits the 70s theme that the story has going for it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

A while back I dropped all Marvel books because it's a mess keeping up with shit. Some Cyclops stuff I've seen is trying to pull me back in but I don't know if I wanna wade into the Marvel muck again.

Edited by Kirkland

• 3 weeks later...

I think I might check out the Flintstones and Scooby Apocalypse comics sometime soon. Scooby Apocalypse seems like a pretty weird take on Scooby-Doo, and from what I've seen of The Flintstones (admittedly - mostly just panels posted on io9 stories about the comic) it looks like a pretty fun take on Bedrock.

• 2 months later...

So Axel Alenso, Marvel's EiC, posted this on Twitter (possible spoilers, I guess):

Spoiler

Some kind of Hulk/Wolverine hybrid?

1 hour ago, Colly said:

Still doing my Marvel marathon, it's blown my mind slightly that Blade is a mouthy cockney rather than a brooding Wesley Snipes.

He's come along way since helping Van Helsings great-grandaughter try and catch vampires bless 'im :crying: Was a great surprise to find some early Blade appearances in my Dracula comics collection as a present from my youth theatre kids!

Edited by lanky316

Awesome stuff out right now.

VAULT comics just launched HEATHEN and its beautiful ... FISSURE is promising as well (they've got a few more on the way).  

SCOUT comics has a few books out right now that are very good reads (if you can find them).

I've enjoyed the start of BULLSEYE (wish it wasn't a limited) and KINGPIN.  

Black Eyed Kids is still wonderful, Astro City is still glorious, 

I've picked up The Wildstorm and liked it so I'll be giving it a go.  

Comics related, not a comic, but.....I'm now rocking this (pic I found online, but bought them on sale today at Walmart and am wearing them right now):

superman-batman-flash-mens-dc-comics-sle

Edited by GhostMachine
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

anyone else reading the stuff from VAULT COMCIS ?  They're killing it right now.

Heathen, Fissure, Karma Police, Powerless, and Failsafe is fixing to drop.  They're also going to be doing Alien Bounty Hunter (Mark Whalburg is involved though no word on the Funky Bunch).  They are beautiful books and have started extremely well.  Heathen is already on 2nd prints for issue 2 and 3 is close to selling out.

I really hate how Marvel handles their books. Too many relaunches, title changes and crossovers and shit. It's just too hard to keep up with.

6 minutes ago, =BK= said:

I really hate how Marvel handles their books. Too many relaunches, title changes and crossovers and shit. It's just too hard to keep up with.

As someone that endeavors to read practically everything of Marvel, I can concur that it is really frustrating and annoying when they end a series only to start a different but comparable series at the same time.

Like they just finished all their X-Men titles (Uncanny, All-New, Extraordinary) they had only started in late 2015, only to immediately start three new X-Men titles (Blue, Gold, Prime). They've done the same with the multiple Avengers titles.

It's really obvious that Marvel doesn't want to switch up the teams anymore without making it a completely new relaunch every time, and as a reader it's really frustrating because they effectively throw away much of the continuity the predecessors established. Sure, the events happened, but in doing the relaunch they can gloss over a lot of things too.

The opposite is true for most of the individual issues, though. Stuff like Ms. Marvel, Spider-Gwen are consistently the best things going for them because they stick to actually letting the comic run, rather than relaunching everytime they change writers.

Speaking of Marvel, I was just reading about the Secret Empire book and the whole Captain America ordeal, and I had no idea that they explained it away with

Spoiler

"Oh, well, turns out the Allies used the Cosmic Cube at the end of World War II, and Captain America was always a HYDRA agent, so by Red Skull using the Cube to undo that, things have returned to their 'original' state." What a crock of unimaginative, garbage shit.

• Like 1