The Comic Book Thread (spoilers)

Your Mom

1 minute ago, Benji said:

You know who I loved? Cloud 9. In Avengers Initiative. Is she in anything at the minute?

Man, I forgot about her. I liked her too. Looking it up online, I don't get the impression she's been in anything for years.

I like Kamala too from the little I've read. I have no actual issue with them doing this stuff in an of itself so long as the writing is good, it's more the fact they seem to do it in lieu of creating completely original female characters and identities, rather than alongside it.

3 hours ago, Johnny Latino Heat said:

I'm guessing Srar's talking about the original one (who's going now by Odinson) and the current, Jane Foster one. Which, to be honest, is something I can see happening as well, because in one of the latest Thor books,

Reveal hidden contents

wasn't Odinson shown to be captive, but within reach of the Ultimate Mjolnir? That could be an indication of things to come.

I swear that by the time I posted this, I hadn't seen this yet.

Gonna go ahead and just say that Spider-Gwen, Silk and Spider-Women are all totally different characters and heroes and outside of the fact they've got Spider based powers (which at this point is as common a trope as super strength in Marvel) and they're all pretty awesome and different. Spider-Gwen also exists in a different reality.

I feel like people are focusing way too much on the big titles and bitching about them, rather than supporting the titles are actually doing well and are well written. Sure, Bendisverse is full of stupid bullshit, but of course it is. It's Bendis. If you're going to complain about Marvel doing nothing interesting, I don't think it's fair to ignore stuff like The Ultimates, New Avengers (pretty much anything Al Ewing is involved in basically), Moon Knight (Jeff Lemire), Black Panther, Dr Strange (Jason Aaron again), Karnak (Warren Ellis), Mighty Thor, Ms. Marvel, Old Man Logan (Jeff Lemire), Power Man and Iron Fist, Punisher, Scarlet Witch, Silk, Spider-Gwen, Squadron Supreme, Venom: Space Knight, Vision (Tom King!).

There's tons of great comics coming out of Marvel right now. And people complain about Old Man Logan, Mighty Thor and All-New Wolverine on the basis of them just being gender swaps, but the stories they're telling are awesome. There's a lot more happening in Marvel right now than the big names and even some of those big names are pretty good. Just need to know what to read rather than going for the big heroes, because they're usually written to please everyone and then they please no one. (All-New Avengers, Iron Man, Amazing Spider-Man come to mind).

Though DC is killing Marvel with Rebirth and it's been totally earned. Batman, Superman, Detective Comics, Titans, Wonder Woman to name a few are killing it both critically and in sales.

• Like 1

The Iron Man replacement is idiotic. She should be a replacement for War Machine, not Iron Man. Even if the in-story explanation is that the name is kept because no one is supposed to know its a teenage girl in the suit, its stupid. 

Right now, though, my major gripe is why the heck do we need two Captain Americas? And I do not care for Steve's new costume (Captain America without the wings on the mask just doesn't look right, and I hate the new boots and gloves) or shield. The new shield looks awful.

13 hours ago, TKz said:

Gonna go ahead and just say that Spider-Gwen, Silk and Spider-Women are all totally different characters and heroes and outside of the fact they've got Spider based powers (which at this point is as common a trope as super strength in Marvel) and they're all pretty awesome and different. Spider-Gwen also exists in a different reality.

I feel like people are focusing way too much on the big titles and bitching about them, rather than supporting the titles are actually doing well and are well written. Sure, Bendisverse is full of stupid bullshit, but of course it is. It's Bendis. If you're going to complain about Marvel doing nothing interesting, I don't think it's fair to ignore stuff like The Ultimates, New Avengers (pretty much anything Al Ewing is involved in basically), Moon Knight (Jeff Lemire), Black Panther, Dr Strange (Jason Aaron again), Karnak (Warren Ellis), Mighty Thor, Ms. Marvel, Old Man Logan (Jeff Lemire), Power Man and Iron Fist, Punisher, Scarlet Witch, Silk, Spider-Gwen, Squadron Supreme, Venom: Space Knight, Vision (Tom King!).

There's tons of great comics coming out of Marvel right now. And people complain about Old Man Logan, Mighty Thor and All-New Wolverine on the basis of them just being gender swaps, but the stories they're telling are awesome. There's a lot more happening in Marvel right now than the big names and even some of those big names are pretty good. Just need to know what to read rather than going for the big heroes, because they're usually written to please everyone and then they please no one. (All-New Avengers, Iron Man, Amazing Spider-Man come to mind).

Though DC is killing Marvel with Rebirth and it's been totally earned. Batman, Superman, Detective Comics, Titans, Wonder Woman to name a few are killing it both critically and in sales.

Personally I might come across as more bitchy than I really am, because I try to read as much as I can weekly and you're right that there is A LOT more good than there is bad in the Marvel Universe right now. But it's still a shame in a creative sense that they elevate a character that's been in less than 10 issues to a major role, if only to try and create buzz. It just doesn't feel organic and like I said, it screams of 'controversy creates cash' where Bad PR is just as good as Good PR.

And when I mentioned the bloatedness of the Spiderverse it's more out of a case of there just being too many running serials than those characters being bad, I personally enjoy reading 2099, Miles, SW and I'll read the other ones in due time because it's obvious the best creative teams are working on any of the spiders at Marvel.

Also, you didn't mention the fun that are Spider-Miles, Spider-Woman, New-Wolverine, and Mockingbird. -5/10 to TKz

Mockingbird as a whole I am enjoying quite a bit, it reminds me of Fraction's Hawkeye quite a lot and it has a very interesting premise of the first 5 issues being somewhat of a mystery on their own.

3 hours ago, GhostMachine said:

The Iron Man replacement is idiotic. She should be a replacement for War Machine, not Iron Man. Even if the in-story explanation is that the name is kept because no one is supposed to know its a teenage girl in the suit, its stupid. 

Right now, though, my major gripe is why the heck do we need two Captain Americas? And I do not care for Steve's new costume (Captain America without the wings on the mask just doesn't look right, and I hate the new boots and gloves) or shield. The new shield looks awful.

Well you can say that Steve Rogers isn't the captain anyways, people (in-universe and out) can't see him as anything else than Captain America despite him having given the shield and role to Sam Wilson. But yeah, I don't mind there being 'two' Captain's, because their stories and current doings sure as hell are nowhere near comparison right now, seeing Steve is a slave to Red Skull and all.

10 hours ago, Little Red Srarvette said:

I got Comic Bento this month and it's all Valiant stuff. I am liking it so far

1 - how do you like Comic Bento (been looking at that and a couple of others as with my move in a few months might have to adjust my comic buying)

2 - WHAT'S IN THE BOX?????!!!!!

46 minutes ago, HailtotheTortureRack said:

1 - how do you like Comic Bento (been looking at that and a couple of others as with my move in a few months might have to adjust my comic buying)

2 - WHAT'S IN THE BOX?????!!!!!

1. It's my first one but I for sure think it's worth the price. I got 4 TPBs to read. You can never have enough reading material

2. Faith Vol. 1: I read this one and it's pretty good. She is like a plus size lady which is something you don't really see in comics but they don't make a big deal out of it. Plus her being a Sci Fi nerd was fun.

Harbinger Wars: A big crossover thing which looks cool

Armor Hunters: Another big crossover thing.

Harbinger Vol.2: Wish it had been Volume 1 but I think they included this one because Faith is in it.

1 hour ago, Little Red Srarvette said:

1. It's my first one but I for sure think it's worth the price. I got 4 TPBs to read. You can never have enough reading material

2. Faith Vol. 1: I read this one and it's pretty good. She is like a plus size lady which is something you don't really see in comics but they don't make a big deal out of it. Plus her being a Sci Fi nerd was fun.

Harbinger Wars: A big crossover thing which looks cool

Armor Hunters: Another big crossover thing.

Harbinger Vol.2: Wish it had been Volume 1 but I think they included this one because Faith is in it.

Harbinger stuff is solid gold ... Armor Hunters was good enough, but I personally don't think they do the whole XO mythos justice to what it really could be but still a very solid event. 

Haven't gotten to Faith yet but yes, you got VOL2 as she is much more involved there and it's where her character really got the following.

That's an EXCELLENT box there. 

51 minutes ago, Benji said:

I mean, his skin is purple and his orientation is already "Deathsexual", that's pretty niche as it is.

but it doesn't fit the "popular character must be re-visioned "correctly for today's bullshit" you know, because" motif that's shitting all over comics

The new MARVEL NOW launch that's coming .... the Title List is on page 2 of the gallery

Some of those are interesting for the wrong reasons, and some for the right reasons.  

• Like 1