It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia

Heel Turn

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A little something for Sunny fans; small blurb on the upcoming fifth season-

EXCLUSIVE: Ponzi Schemes, Octomoms And Roddy Piper On The New Season Of ‘It’s Always Sunny In Philadelphia’

Published by Eric Ditzian on Thursday, July 2, 2009 at 2:18 pm.

'It's Always Sunny in PhiladelphiaI’ve been hurting. Probably my two favorite comedies on TV—“It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia” and “Curb Your Enthusiasm”—have been on hiatus far too long, and there’s only so many times you can re-watch episodes before your neighbors, behind thin NYC apartment walls, begin to complain. But! Larry David’s “Curb” is coming back to HBO in the fall, after a two-year break. And now comes word that “Sunny,” the debaucherous comedy about four friends who run a dive bar in Philly and make one another’s lives hilariously uncomfortable, will be resurfacing on F/X on September 17th for a 12-episode run.

While Charlie Day, along with his fellow writer/producer/co-stars Rob McElhenney and Glenn Howerton are still in the midst of shooting episodes, Day stepped away from the set to kick MTV News the inside scoop about what “Sunny” fans can expect when the gang—including Danny DeVito’s bundle of scummy fun, Frank—returns to the small screen.

“One of my favorite scripts right now is an episode called ‘The Gang Wrestles for the Troops,’” he said. “In our attempt to honor the troops coming back from Iraq, we try and put on a wrestling match and ‘Rowdy’ Roddy Piper is appearing in that. He’s playing a down on his luck wrestler called Da Maniac.”

That episode will also give the gang a chance to show off their musical talents, which have been on display before with ridiculous yet catchy tunes like “Day Man” and “Day Bow Bow.” “All great wrestling performers had a good entrance song, so we’ve written our own entrance song about the Birds of War, which is what we call ourselves,” Day revealed.

From an early episode about abortion to last season’s show in which the gang goes to typically absurd lengths to get heath insurance, the “Sunny” crew has shown a curiosity about engaging with news making headlines day after day, and the new season will be no different. Expect plot lines to touch on the economic crisis, Ponzi schemes and, Day said, “We may just touch on the Octomom thing for a minute.”

“We don’t ever want to beat anyone over the head with it or be preachy, but it also feels a little irresponsible to just ignore the world and what’s going on,” he explained. “We don’t take it too, too seriously, but I think it’s good to address those things in the light of comedy.”

Day has just been cast opposite Drew Barrymore, Christina Applegate and Justin Long in the romantic comedy, “Going the Distance,” so once shooting on “Sunny” wraps in late July, the actor will be shuttling between shooting the movie and helping put the TV show together. While he won’t be in the edit room every day, after four seasons, Day is feeling secure about the direction of “Sunny.”

“I don’t think we’re arrogant, but from day one we were confident in the type of show and the type of humor we wanted to put out there,” he said, before heading back inside to continue shooting. “It’s been great how much the show has grown in terms of a fan base and how enthusiastic our fans. We’ve always been proud of our show, especially compared to the other comedies on television.”

What do all the “Sunny” fans think about what the guys have planned for the new season? What news headline would you like to see them integrate into an episode?

I'm so ready for the new season. The wrestling episode should be hilarious. I can almost play it out in my head right now. Charlie wrestling as Green Man, Dennis sexually parading around the ring, Mac taking his wrestling gimmick super-serious, Frank as the manipulative booker... AND Piper.

And they're doing an Octomom episode. Looks to be an amazing season.

September 17th can't come any sooner.

Piper on Always Sunny? Wonderful! Yeah I can see the guys pretty much being exactly how you envision them.

And only 12 episodes? Booooooo! I wouldn’t mind if it was 12 hour-long episodes, but they are only half hour with the occasional extra long episodes here and there. 15 for season 3 was a nice change, they should continue that at least. It goes by too quickly when it is so short. :(

Edited by Fitzy

Yeah, I can't wait for the new season either. And only 12 is an odd number. Most shows get a standard of 13, I wonder why they don't have at least one more episode. Oh well, either way, more Always Sunny is a good thing.

I'm really looking forward to the next season. I need to get on the ball and buy the previous seasons on DVD. The wrestling episode will be great for sure but it'll take a lot to dethrone the episode where they start a band as the funniest/best episode to date.

I heard a rumor that the reason there are only 12 episodes this season is because it ends in November, I think, and the 13th episode (because they have signed on for 39 more episodes, so usually 13 a season) is actually going to be a Christmas special.

Just about one month to go!!

On July 15, 2008, it was reported that FX has ordered 39 additional episodes of the series which means that the show will run until at least a seventh season. All remaining seasons will consist of 13 episodes. All five main cast members were secured for the entire scheduled run.[3]

Day Man! OOOOOAAAHHH! Ruler of the Night Man! OOOOOAAAHHH! Champion of the sun! OOOOAAAAHHH! Master of karate and friendship for everyone! Day Man!!!!!!

I have finally watched to the end of season 4 and have to say that this show is stupendous. I just love how basically nothing has changed in 4 seasons and all the charatcers are pretty much the same with added foibles. Also Danny DeVito getting his gun out almost every episode is awesome. Some of the minor characters are brilliant as well, the McPoils are especially awesome.

• 2 months later...

FAPFAPFAPFAP

Have watched all the time since the start! This was a trending topic on twitter and I was all ":o Always Sunny getting love from Qwest Love and twitternation! Why am I on gay twitter when only 5 people I know have it?!"

Then I fapped at how awesome it is that it's back - I just finished after weeks of fap and now I am here to tell you all how wonderful of a show this is

But you already know

So fin

I am just going to make incoherent rambling posts like this when I can't collect my thoughts to express how wonderful always sunny is :shifty: