Official Premiership 06/07 thread

Liam

Glenn Roeder has resigned as manager of Newcastle United.

The Magpies have had a torrid time with injuries this season and currently lie 13th in the Premiership having failed to shine in the cup competitions.

Newcastle have not scored a league goal at St James' Park in over eight hours of playing time, which is their worst run since 1951.

Roeder and chairman Freddy Shepherd came under fire from fans after their home defeat by Blackburn on Saturday.

Shepherd confirmed to BBC Sport that 51-year-old Roeder has resigned.

Five Live's Ian Dennis said: "Roeder has resigned, walking away with immediate effect after being summoned to a hastily arranged board meeting on Sunday morning.

"It's no surprise in the north east that Sam Allardyce is already emerging as a strong favourite to replace him."

Roeder spent 15 months in charge at St James' Park including his spell as caretaker.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im a Newcastle fan and I think that Big Sam in charge would be the wrong appointment. Newcastle fans love the attacking style and Allardyce does'nt bring that style of play with him. He will more than likely employ the tough and hard style of play he's used at Bolton. Im not saying its not effective but the fans may turn against him. Souness had a similar style of play to Allardyce and look where that got him.

Any rants (comments) from Moanrinho yet ?

Called his players "heroes", congratulated United but refused to acknowledge that they were the best team this season...that's all I heard.

He congratulated Sir Alex and their fans as well as their team.

What a fucking twat he is. Seriously, what a cunt. <_<

I know. I mean, who the fuck congratulates his opponent? Urgh, horrible display of sportsmanship

lol mourinho

Im a Newcastle fan and I think that Big Sam in charge would be the wrong appointment. Newcastle fans love the attacking style and Allardyce does'nt bring that style of play with him.

Are you honestly saying you don't mind mediocrity if it means you *might* play some decent football? Rubbish.

Edited by wozzi

I typed this up like two hours ago but the board went down for me... so sorry if it isn't in tune with the current conversation:

Allardyce to Newcastle is almost too obvious. Just hope he doesn't fluff it like Pardew and Curbishly did by switching teams.

I'm relieved that the title race is finally over. I did call a draw between Arsenal/Chelsea but I was never 100% It would've been extremely tense at Stamford Bridge had Chelsea won today. It'll be very weird seeing Chelsea line up in a guard of honour for Utd but Utd did the same for Chelsea at Old Trafford in 2005.

Also, catching up... Mourinho and Shane O' Mac in the same video? Surreal. What does he actually say he's the coach of? It sounds like "Chelsea Football Gaming."

He congratulated Sir Alex and their fans as well as their team.

What a fucking twat he is. Seriously, what a cunt. <_<

I know. I mean, who the fuck congratulates his opponent? Urgh, horrible display of sportsmanship

Edited by IAceI

Im a Newcastle fan and I think that Big Sam in charge would be the wrong appointment. Newcastle fans love the attacking style and Allardyce does'nt bring that style of play with him. He will more than likely employ the tough and hard style of play he's used at Bolton. Im not saying its not effective but the fans may turn against him. Souness had a similar style of play to Allardyce and look where that got him.

Souness got there because the team was losing. If Big Sam can make the team win nobody cares how exctining it is. Oh, by the way, Big Sam can make the team win.

Newcastle fans suck at the moment. Most of them have fucked off, don't care or don't mind being shit as long as they play with a bit of flair (which they don't by the way).

Big Sam is the kind of guy who can bitchslap Newcastle United upside-down, get the weak links playing good football and knows how to fill in gaps when vital squad members are missing. If he does get the job, I can't wait to see if he decides to replace the current crock with new faces or attempts to rejuvinate what he inherits.

Of course, there's the giant rumour of Alan Shearer becoming manager. And probably always will, until he does become manager. He's already been assistant and has some other role right now. I'm sure Chris Coleman and a bunch of others will also be mentioned.

Going back a few pages to the Tevez dealio... that whole thing has just sucked, from the start.

Ignoring the MSI business for a second, West Ham bought Carlos Tevez and Javier Mascherano. They didn't steal them, kidnap them, smuggle them into the country in the back of a lorry, or in any other way illegally obtain them. A deal was done.

So the fact that MSI own the players or whatever is neither here nor there as far as Pardew/Curbishley and the team is concerned. Tevez is doing nothing wrong, the players are doing nothing wrong, so why should they be punished? Surely it's MSI's fault, along with a few old smelly guys in suits that sit in a board room all day and fire people.

Tevez would still have been Tevez if the deal was done 'legally'. It's not like MSI made him into Superman with performance enhancing drugs and bionic parts.

It's a board room level fuck-up, and one that Alan Pardew (claimed) to know nothing about. And I believe him, because I don't think there's a lot Pardew does know anything about. ¬_¬ Curbishley obviously knew even less.

So in conclusion: Yes, they probably should've been docked points. You get docked points for going into administration, which isn't the player's fault either, so you should be docked points for this. However, they weren't. So Dave Whelen should shut the fuck up. You're going down because you're shit and you signed Emile Heskey.

Complaining about being relegated because your opponents weren't docked points is like complaining you lost a quiz because your opponents questions were easier. You didn't know the answer to yours, so you lost. That's the point of a quiz.

That's why it's called football, and not Lawyerball. Your team is supposed to keep you in the league, not your lawyers.

Besides, you have more money than sense (*coughheskeycough*) to start with, and the £5mil West Ham were fined probably makes up for the amount you'll lose by being relegated. If you're that worried about money, Dave, make Paul Jewell buy his own pies. That'll save you millions.

Edited by Farmer Reil

Ignoring the MSI business for a second, West Ham bought Carlos Tevez and Javier Mascherano. They didn't steal them, kidnap them, smuggle them into the country in the back of a lorry, or in any other way illegally obtain them. A deal was done.
Edited by therockbox