Cover Songs

Tarheels.

I know there was a thread about this earlier, but can anybody reccomend some good hard rock cover songs. I found Avenged Sevenfold's cover of 'Walk' by Pantera. And not necessarily hard rock but I found a bitchin' Soundgarden cover of 'Come Together' by The Beatles. But yeah, any other recommendations (I have Astro Zombies by MCR too)

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm, if you like Slayer they did a whole album dedicated to punk covers. It's very good, I believe the album was titled Undisputed Attitude. They covered such bands as D.I., G.B.H., Dr. Know, Suicidal Tendencies, D.R.I., and Iggy and the Stooges. It's a great album, with Slayer putting their spin on hardcore punk.

A metal group by the name of Dark Horse do a good cover of the B-52's Rock Lobster.

One of my favorite bands, No Alternative cover Johnny Cash's Folsom Prison Blues. They amp it up while keeping it's obvious southern feel.

X (a group I also mentioned in the female fronted groups) did a kick ass cover of the Doors Soul Kitchen. It's sped up with dual vocals between Exene Cervenka and John Doe. I love the Doors, but X's cover is so much more fun.

Even Nickelback haters have to admit that their cover of "Saturday Night's Alright for Fighting" is pretty awesome. Oh and everything from Rage Against the Machine's "Renegades", but I'm assuming I don't need to tell you about that.

I'm sure this is also a very obvious one, but Bullet for My Valentine's cover of "Welcome Home (Sanitarium)" is excellent. I enjoyed...

AFI's "Head Like A Hole"

Deftone's "The Chauffeur"

(hed) PE's "Sabbra Cadabra"

RA's "Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic"

Obviously Disturbed's "Shout 2000" and "Land Of Confusion" dope's "You Spin Me Round (Like A Record)"

Velvet Revolver's "Money"

Life Of Agony's "Don't You (Forget About Me)"

...and to a lesser extent (for rocking's sake), Oasis' "Helter Skelter".

Disturbed does a suprisingly good version of Fade to Black Live, from the Music As A Weapon II Cd.

Ummm other ones:

* Im quite partial to Black Dahlia Murder's cover of "Paint It Black"

* A Perfect Circle's cover of "Imagine"

* Impious does a cool version of Metallica's "One" from the Metal Militia 3 album

Can't be bothered thinking of any more.

Even Nickelback haters have to admit that their cover of "Saturday Night's Alright for Fighting" is pretty awesome.

No, that was the song that made me go from complete indifference towards them to utter hatred. It's one of the worst covers I've ever heard, probably beaten only by Creed's version of "I'm Eighteen".

Maybe not what you're looking for, but try:

Dead Kennedys - Viva Las Vegas (Elvis Presley)

Sikth - Tupelo (Nick Cave)

Spoiler - Electrifying (John Travolta & Olivia Newton-John)

Life Of Agony - Don't You Forget About Me (Simple Minds)

Probably others...that's all I can think of in the way of remotely "hard rock" covers that haven't been mentioned yet

It's not technically a cover, but if you can find the acoustic version of the Four Horsemen Metallica did at a concert some time, download it post-haste. I like it better than I like the original, and that takes a lot of doing because I call the original my favourite Metallica piece ever (although that was before I heard S&M, and I'm not sure if For Whom The Bell Tolls from that counts because it was made so much better by the orchestral backing).