How anal are you about your music collection

Scruffy The Janitor

My friends always laugh at my music collection at partys. Not only for my collection (I'm one of the few with such diverse tastes from Bubblegum Pop to Death Metal), but for just how sorted my music collection is.

It's sorted by Genre, then by artist, then chronologically through their albums. (Foobar2000 FTW!) If the artist name contains The it is put at the end of the artist's title (ie "The Beatles" become "Beatles, The"). 90% of my music is also FLAC, and the other 10% is mp3s at 256Kbit of higher (And i even test at a low ABX, usually around the 160Kbps area, so there really is no need for such high mp3s).

Also when I acquire music (legally of course :shifty: ), I will generally only take a FLAC version of the music. Not that I'm an audiophile but more that I like to have options when I like put music onto a music player. From FLAC I can convert to any quality, any size, and any codec depending on the needs of the device I am putting it on.

I absolutely hate bad quality rips of music that go around the internet. I also have a pet peeve of people who download an album by downloading all the seperate songs and putting it together and all the files having different qualitys. I don't know why, but it just grates me.

Also when Songs are mis-labelled...etc I scream inside. So much so that when I am around at a randoms place for say a party, and there music is mis-labelled I have been known to correct it all instead of drinking much to my friends laughter.

So how anal-retentive about your music are you?

I'm much the same way.

I even have a special folder where all my downloaded stuff goes...and then it gets screened and listened to, fixed up if mis-labeled, and then sent off to my main folder, where it finds its' proper home in that particular artist's folder.

Everyone laughs that I go through so much trouble to do all that... but when people come over looking to listen to something... it's easy as fuck to find.

As for files, I keep one folder for each band. For example, for the Gun Club I have a Gun Club folder, inside the Gun Club folder are two more folders which are their albums. I can't have it any other way, every album has to be in the folder of what band it is. I hate the idea of a bunch of MP3's scattered across a folder, or even a bunch of albums scattered across a folder.

For my cd's/records, I'm not so bothered with how they are sorted.

I am to an extent, i'll look to keep the title/album/artist correct and it annoys me no end when I acquire some music and the tagging is shot to hell. Genre though i'm not so fussed about. That's why I have a lot of stupid stuff and every man and his dog is 'Alternative'. Including David Gray! If i'm really bored one day I might sort a few into somewhat proper categories.

It used to be like this with my music, but it's switched over to my wrestling files now that I use Windows Media Library and don't have to deal with the files straight up. I am still just as anal though, I have a set way to name my files:

All Japan Pro Wrestling - 1981.10.09 - Jumbo Tsuruta vs. Ric Flair ------ this is for files for shows in Japan or ROH that I'd rather give the date for than the name of a show

World Championship Wrestling - Halloween Havoc 1993 - Cactus Jack vs. Vader ------------ this is for WCW\WWE\WWF shows

I spent hours a few weeks ago making sure all albums, release years, and such were correct in my collection. But what is this 'Flac' you speak of? It sounds like something an obsessive compulsive list keeper like me would enjoy.

im pretty bad too.

When i finally got a proper hard drive (from 6gb 1997 pc to a newer 80gb model) i decided to get itunes, and rip 80 or so cd's into it. And by rip i mean - Title, artist, album, track number (of number of tracks), disc number, composer, genre - and back then there wasn't auto album art either, so i went through amazon to get each album's artwork.

but damn it is so beautiful.

Anyone who uses itunes - i use a program called libra, which allows you to switch between different libraries. I did it recently as i had too much music i was bored of, so now i have a main library of everything, and a second library with all the bands i actually like these days. Awesome.

things i would like time to do is adding lyrics and upping the bitrates (just got very high quality headphones)

oh and my cd's - they are organised on my rack depending on the colour of the spine - Black --- Colours --- Whites

Edited by The Chief

I spent hours a few weeks ago making sure all albums, release years, and such were correct in my collection. But what is this 'Flac' you speak of? It sounds like something an obsessive compulsive list keeper like me would enjoy.

FLAC is a form of compression that is said to offer CD quality audio. You often see the odd album on torrent sites in this format which is followed by a shed load of comments along the lines of "WTF is FLAC? Give me MP3!".

Mine is basically sorted alphabetically by Band Name, and within that said band name are all the albums I have by em, also sorted alphabetically. I'm not really arsed about what genre it is, I'll know what it is as I own it and I like it.

Mine is terrible. I do correct it and try to make it as neat as possible. Nothing irritates more than album tracks being in the wrong order, but all my CDs are just thrown in a drawer.

My DVD collection, however, is frequently reorganised into theme, director, actor or chronologically.

Meh, I just have it organized alphabetically, then Windows Media Player put all the albums together for me.

Of course I have huge piles of downloaded songs with no artist name attached to them, thats just a mess to sort through.

I'm "theoretically anal" about it.

I'd love to have everything correctly tagged and sorted, but it just isn't, and it never will be. So I live with it ¬_¬

Every artist has it's own folder, and every album has it's own folder within the artists folder, but the actual tags are quite varied. Most names are correct, but few have the release year, correct genre, etc. I have very, very few "Track 1"'s. Except God Forbid's Better Days album, because I didn't have the net installed when I ripped it, and after listening to it I quickly decided it really wasn't worth the effort of tagging properly.

All my Edguy stuff is perfectly tagged though ¬_¬

Edited by Farmer Reil

I couldn't care less about if my songs are tagged correctly due to year or genre, because I goddamn well know the genres of the music that I listen to and don't need a reminder about it, thankyouverymuch. The songs are organized alphabetically by artist and further by album, with a "Misc." folder for everything else. My real-life CD-collection is a bit more organized, it occupies two shelves in my closet with the upper shelf being for metal CD's orgainzed alphabetically by artist and album title, and the lower one for non-metal CD's formatted in the same style.

The folder where all my music is in looks like shit, but my Itunes is one of the neatest you'll find anywhere..

I have all the songs, artists, albums, years, ratings all perfect in Itunes to my liking... Then I added album art to every song, started on producers and BPM (Beats Per Minute).. Sooner or later every single field in my Itunes is going to be perfect.

I also hate when people take all of the songs from the album and throw them together with different sound qualities.. I also hate radio versions of songs, clean versions, ones with DJ's screaming over them.. I've been known to carefully edit out the DJ's on certain songs in ACID so that they sound better.

My Cd's are organised by Artist, then each artist is divided into three sections; [CD's/EP's - Singles - Bootlegs], and each of those is chronological.

My MP3's, as long as they have Artist, Track and Album correct I'm good. As I'm sure you all know, I fucking hate too many sub genres, so I just leave it as whatever FreeDB has it set as.

I try to organize my digital music files once a month.I usually have it genre-artist-albums , but with all the different sub genre's I'm thinking of scrapping that method.

My dvds are arranged my genre on a shelf and below them my ps2 games are organized my genre as well