What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

Insomnia suffered because it was such a strange movie to follow up Memento with. Well, Memento was such a strange movie, and Insomnia was such a regular movie, that it made Insomnia seem like a strange choice... if that makes any sense. It's very much just the kind of movie that anyone could have directed, though most producers probably would've made it with Denzel Washington and Ashley Judd instead of Pacino and Swank.

• Like 1

I'm currently in the middle of Star Wars IV: A New Hope. After I will watch Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi. But for now I am giving Episode IV 9/5.10

Toy Story 3 - 10/10 - This is only the third film I've given a ten this year, but by God, does it deserve it. I remember the first two fondly growing up. But Toy Story 3 is another Pixar Masterpiece. It doesn't shy away from addressing really important and saddening issues of age. And it was heavily entertaining with all the usual charm. I loved it from start to finish. A beautiful film, in my eyes.

• Like 2

Jesus Christ: Vampire Hunter

A billion stars.

That was actually made in Ottawa and a number of my friend's helped out with the film. Hilariously enough, my first year film professor plays one of the cross dressers in the movie.

Exit Through the Gift Shop

10/10

Part-art documentary, part-Borat, part-Adaptation, this is truly one of the best films I've seen in quite some time. It's essentially three films within one: a documentary on Banksy, a documentary on Guetta the film maker and a "documentary" on Guetta the artist, aka Mr. Brain Wash. It's funny, insightful and confronts the societies fascination and consumption of art. The feature on Guetta the artist has so many layers to it - is it real or a hoax? is he a genius, an idiot, or both who just succeeded? is he really an artist or just a hack?

So I watched "In The Loop" yesterday...HOLY FUCKING SHIT....fucking glorious. So many one line gems. Chris Addison's, "I think subconciously it may have been one last attempt to end this awful war" wins though...words cannot describe how fucking brilliant this is. And when it couldn't get any better there's a fucking Steve Coogan cameo.

• Like 2