What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

Don't worry guys, he probably only watched the first ten minutes of the two episodes before deciding to judge it. Or he really has no idea what's good and what isn't. Take your pick.

• Like 1

Shocking, people have varying opinions.

Yours just seems to suck as of late.

Watched Melancholia today. It was....something. That's about as far as I can go with it at this time. Beautiful film, but I'm not sure how I feel about it.

Also watched Best Worst Movie, a documentary about Troll 2. Good doc. Surprisingly touching in some parts as well.

The Avengers. Cobie Smulders. Yes.

oh yeah and you know world ending fighting explosions fun

I might be the only guy who's seen that and not cared about her at all. For me, her character was summed up as "also, for some reason, she's here."

The Avengers. Cobie Smulders. Yes.

oh yeah and you know world ending fighting explosions fun

I might be the only guy who's seen that and not cared about her at all. For me, her character was summed up as "also, for some reason, she's here."

I didn't care about her character, but she was fine. That's all I'm saying. Not fine as in okay, alright, fine as in

She's in it because Maria Hill is a pretty big character in the comics and probably needed to be set up for a larger role further down the line. As in... (Avengers spoilers)

I'm pretty sure she's been set up to be the replacement for Coulson. She'll probably pop up in some of the other Marvel films as a liaison for Shield.

I actually did assume that would happen when the movie was over, and I haven't read the comics. That makes sense, but I feel like she could have been (and hopefully will be) more interesting.

I actually did assume that would happen when the movie was over, and I haven't read the comics. That makes sense, but I feel like she could have been (and hopefully will be) more interesting.

It's a shame, because I don't think she's signed on to appear in Iron Man 3 and the relationship between Maria Hill and Tony Stark would really shine on screen. She's a lot more no nonsense than Coulson is and will probably come off as a lot meaner. I'm pretty glad they just introduced her in Avengers rather than set her up as a character though, because the film was pretty stuffed to the brim as it was. When Thor is getting his part cut down in an Avengers film, it's a pretty good sign that you shouldn't be trying to fit more in.

I'm sure she'll play a larger part in Captain America 2, which will be fairly Shield based, according to most reports. Cap is apparently the only one that doesn't go off on his own after Avengers and sticks to working with Shield.

The Amazing Spider-Man

It was good, perhaps even great... too much of a retread though. The changes were fine and kept it different enough, but retelling the origin story took up so much time.

Spoilers:

But then they tried to save time on the one thing that really drives Spidey, Uncle Ben's death. Martin Sheen was so spectacular, but they kinda rushed through his death and moved on, which was a shame.

And since Spider-Man movies are apparently cursed, there just had to be one cringe-inducing moment:

AGAIN with the "New York comes together to help Spider-Man" shit? It felt cheesy and tacked on in the first movie, which was just after 9/11. This, while executed better, was still hokey as fuck.

But gripes aside, Garfield is way better as Spider-Man than Tobey Maguire, Emma Stone was *perfect* and drop-dead gorgeous, and The Lizard turned out better than I thought he would. Needed more Sally Field though.

After the credits spoiler:

Obviously Norman Osborn has to play a role in the franchise since he's Spider-Man's archenemy, but I really hope they don't do the Goblin in the next movie, especially since this one felt so much like a retread. I like taking things in more of an Ultimate Spider-Man direction and Norman lurking in the shadows is fine, but Spidey has such a huge rogues gallery, I'd like to see them try something new.

Granted, many of his villains are totally lame, but a little tweaking, they could work on the big screen. Plus, ya know, we still haven't had a big screen version of Carnage. Or Venom for more than 10 minutes.

Overall, worth seeing, but doesn't come close to The Avengers and lacks the charm of the movies from Marvel Studios. Marvel needs to work out a deal with Sony already.

Watched the beginning of 2001: A Space Odyssey. Some of the imagery and metaphors in the 'Dawn of Man' piece are spectacular and really made me think quite hard about certain things we often take for granted - the entire scene as he discovers the use of the bone is magnificent. Hated this when I was younger, had much more appreciation for it now.