What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

Drive. Goddamn. It's as close to perfect as a movie gets.

It's still a travesty that at the absolute very least Albert Brooks wasn't nominated for Best Supporting Actor and the fact that it got shut out by the Academy entirely is incredibly dumb.

• Like 1

Watched Drive since everyone has been talking about it. It started out interestingly, then it got really slow, then shit hit the fan and all hell broke lose. I can understand why some people thought it was amazing and I thought it was pretty great but I wouldn't put it in my top ten or anything.

Just burned through season 3 of Justified. What a great show. Good new villain, really liked the black gang even if Limehouse is basically black man Mags. I also love that Olyphant gets a bunch of his Deadwood buddies to come on the show. Hope he gets Gerald McRaney to play some sort of heartless madman in season 4.

• Like 2

After Drive, I watched Midnight Cowboy. Very good film, if hard to watch at times. Dustin Hoffman was so goddamn good. Jon Voigt was better than I expected, too. The direction was great, too, which I don't think gets mentioned all that much. If you've only heard about this one, it will likely surprise you in several ways.

I continued my classic Dustin Hoffman viewing with Marathon Man. If you watch this, keep in mind that it's a) a conspiracy thriller, b) a very slow burn of a plot, and c) an ensemble piece, focusing on multiple characters. I somehow didn't know any of that going in. If you go in knowing that, you should really enjoy it. I ultimately ended up liking it quite a lot.

I also recommend Conan O'Brien Can't Stop. Great look behind the scenes of his Legally Prohibited from Being Funny on Television tour. Also a nice study of the blessing and curse that it is to be an entertainer by need.

• Like 2

Watched the Coen brothers True Grit yesterday, really impressed. Fairly simple story but just done really really well, despite not having a clue what Jeff Bridges was on about half the time.

Prometheus

Minor Spoiler:

You are a scientist exploring an unknown planet, in a building filled with dead alien creatures. All of a sudden, you spot a strange, worm-like thing slithering about you. It appears to be hostile. What do you do?

A) Back away slowly

B) Run away!

C) Shoot it!

D) Poke it repeatedly with your bare hand

If you answered D, congratulations! You're hired to take part in the biggest scientific endeavor known to mankind!

So uh, I don't think it was a bad movie, but there's too many idiot ball/willful blindness moments for my liking. I think it was trying to do too many things, and could have done with more or less screentime, rather than trying to slot it all in. Apparently there's a rumor floating about that it's setting up for another movie. I wouldn't be surprised.

Watched the Extended Director's Cut of Chronicle today and holy shit I loved it. Josh Trank made THAT with $12 million? Jesus I can't imagine what he could do with 30 or 50 or more million. All of a sudden I'd like to see him direct the Fantastic Four reboot that's been in the works now. Very good movie.

Been watching Breaking Bad.

Just finished watching the penultimate episode of Season 2 now and wow, I'm completely hooked. I can see now why people are praising Bryan Cranston. Going into this I thought I could never see him as anybody but Hal from Malcom in the Middle, but now I've completely forgotten about that, he's owned the role.

Such a good show and it's getting better with every episode, the "Stay out of my territory scene" gave me absolute chills, because you could feel the shift in the mindset of the character there and then. Stellar show.

Absolutely. Love Heat. That may even be my favorite Val Kilmer performance outside of Tombstone.

You need some Kiss Kiss Bang Bang in your life.

• Like 2